Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT yet OT
step right up ladies and gentlemen, hoping it’s still every minute

have i got a deal for you
exclusive access
easy money
(only a 20% nick but easily made up)

which cup is the object under, watch closely
only can use untraceable unmarked bills,
(“what’s in _your_ wallet?”)

must act NOW or lose out on easy money forever

trust me, i have an “honest face” and it’s really me and i’m a supporting member since way way back in time
(it’s pokémon cards and beanie babies and baseball trading cards and 3 card Monte lessons)

Last edited:
Signed up for Starlink. Supposedly will be available in my area mid/late this year. I already have google fiber which is amazing, but I couldn't pass up the chance to test the service out. I'm definitely going to play around with location. As of now they say it only works at fixed locations but I suspect that's because they don't want you roaming out of your coverage "band". Hoping I can at least take it an hour away or so.

Signed up for Starlink. Supposedly will be available in my area mid/late this year. I already have google fiber which is amazing, but I couldn't pass up the chance to test the service out. I'm definitely going to play around with location. As of now they say it only works at fixed locations but I suspect that's because they don't want you roaming out of your coverage "band". Hoping I can at least take it an hour away or so.

Hmmm. I too wanted to test out Starlink, but now that I too have gigabit fiber, I realize that my “test” is going to mean some poor slob with 2Mbps DSL is going to go wanting. Starlink limits the number of people in each cell, so by buying Starlink you might be taking a slot from someone else. I have read enough posts on the Reddit sub to get a taste of Starlink and don’t feel the need to test anymore.

As of now they say it only works at fixed locations but I suspect that's because they don't want you roaming out of your coverage "band". Hoping I can at least take it an hour away or so.

I think you are limited to inside your assigned cell. And I think Elon said that the cells are around square 10 miles, so I doubt you will be able to get an hour away.

Hmmm. I too wanted to test out Starlink, but now that I too have gigabit fiber, I realize that my “test” is going to mean some poor slob with 2Mbps DSL is going to go wanting. Starlink limits the number of people in each cell, so by buying Starlink you might be taking a slot from someone else. I have read enough posts on the Reddit sub to get a taste of Starlink and don’t feel the need to test anymore.
Hmmm, that is a fair point. I’ll have to think about that.

I wonder if this means there will be more shares out there being added to funds for purchase.

Probably the opposite. $750M worth of existing SpaceX shareholders that wanted to sell got to sell, and the buyers of both the $750M and the $850M SpaceX offering aren't going to sell anytime soon since they just bought.

@fiveten that doesn't necessarily mean they sold all their positions. Maybe just happy to take some significant profits for whatever reason.

Is there any regulation for number of satellites in space? I just read somewhere SpaceX has 12,000 satellites already. Sounds like a lot but I'm sure it's not in the big picture but if SpaceX is going to take this global... how many satellites are we talking? 1 million?

@fiveten that doesn't necessarily mean they sold all their positions. Maybe just happy to take some significant profits for whatever reason.

Is there any regulation for number of satellites in space? I just read somewhere SpaceX has 12,000 satellites already. Sounds like a lot but I'm sure it's not in the big picture but if SpaceX is going to take this global... how many satellites are we talking? 1 million?
They have just over 1,000 satellites in orbit now. They are approved for 12,000 and plan on over 44,000.

Potential future competitors (like Blue Origin) are worried more than ever SpaceX will establish an insurmountable lead and are trying to hinder them via regulatory agencies.

Reactions: mikes_fsd

I'm not a regular on reddit, can you post a link?

As a starter, if anyone is interested in the future, some tips I learned.

1. For all the leads I know, they require the Qualified Purchaser status. Not Accredited Investor.

2. If this is your first, be familiar with terms like: access fee, management fee and carry
You need to prepare yourself to get used to the 20% carry. Basically the seller takes 20% of the gain when you exit.
Many beginners find that hard to accept.

3. Cash needs to be ready. I needed to make a decision within 24 hours to book a block and I am asked to wire in the money within 3 days. Usually the money needs to move from broker to bank then to your seller's bank. That can take time and you might hit some limit about how much you can transfer out per day or per month by your broker or bank.

4. Study the SPV legal structure and legal docs. Super long to read and I only have 1 day to sign.

How much do you have to invest before there isn't an SPV involved?