Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-3 - Starbase TX - Pre-Launch Preparations Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't get myself to get excited on launch 3
I am totally stoked for IFT-3! I think it very likely that the next test flight will reach new milestones; booster will last beyond the entry burn and the ship will reach orbital velocity.

I don’t need to know the exact details right now of why both vehicles had a RUD during IFT-2, I’m sure SpaceX will release some general information at some point.

Reactions: Grendal
Where can I find details of this, Grendal?
Sounds interesting but I need to read up on it a bit before I ask dumb questions like- "transfer from where to where?" and the like :)
It was discussed starting at post #40 in this thread.

But the level of detail we have at this point is simply:
This test would involve transferring super-cold propellant from one tank to another inside a Starship spacecraft (quoting the Ars article)

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc and Grendal
S28 has been moved to the suborbital pad (formerly “Pad B”, now that A has been scrapped, I suppose it is just the “suborbital pad”).

Readying for static fire testing, I assume.

IMG_0488.jpeg

A road closure was just announced on the NSF stream for Thursday (8-8), so you should be okay for Wednesday.
And so much for that. Road is currently closed for Starship 28 static fire.

I wonder how SpaceX plans to get rid of the lift points on the nose of a Starship if they have to put each Starship on a dedicated stand in order to perform static fires. Will they come up with some crane-based means of using the two lift points? Or will every Starship begin with the nose hardware until it gets through static fire testing?

Last edited:
Reactions: scaesare
(Posted this in the Starship general development thread but meant to post it here)

Dance floor has been lowered below the OLM and there are two big bags that some believe contain the Raptor engine bell covers.

NSF appears to believe that there could be an S28 static fire today.

Road is closed, suborbital pad looks clear. Don’t see any tank farm activity yet.

IMG_0511.jpeg

Reactions: JB47394
I think it's the opposite. The vacuums fire first to hot stage then the sea levels kick in. Not that it matters - this is a test.
I'll admit, I made a guess based on lighting from inside to outside....
And I was right (50/50)
There is flame on the shiny side away from the tank farm first, that's the sea level.
SmartSelect_20231220_180610_Firefox.jpg

SmartSelect_20231220_180940_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231220_180904_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231220_180850_Firefox.jpg

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231220_180904_Firefox.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231220_180904_Firefox.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 20
  • SmartSelect_20231220_180850_Firefox.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231220_180850_Firefox.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Grendal