Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they had some drones or chase boats in the expected landing area for the 1st stage.
Video of a rocket hovering right above the water would be amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw this article on SpaceX about the launch pad competition.

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-accuses-blue-origin-of-blocking-spacex-2013-9

Elon quote,

The email is below. He shreds both companies, saying SpaceX is fine with letting them use the pad too, because he thinks it's unlikely they're even able to do it.

"If they do somehow show up in the next 5 years with a vehicle qualified to NASA’s human rating standards that can dock with the Space Station, which is what Pad 39A is meant to do, we will gladly accommodate their needs," writes Musk. "Frankly, I think we are more likely to discover unicorns dancing in the flame duct."

Full email...

From a SpaceX standpoint, we view [Blue Origin] and [United Launch Alliance’s] action as a phony blocking tactic and an obvious one at that. BO has not yet succeeded in creating a reliable suborbital spacecraft, despite spending over 10 years in development. It is therefore unlikely that they will succeed in developing an orbital vehicle that will meet NASA’s exacting standards in the next 5 years, which is the length of the lease. That said, I can’t say for sure whether [Blue Origin’s] action stems from malice. No such doubt exists about ULA’s motivation.
However, rather than fight this issue, there is an easy way to determine the truth, which is simply to call their bluff. If they do somehow show up in the next 5 years with a vehicle qualified to NASA’s human rating standards that can dock with the Space Station, which is what Pad 39A is meant to do, we will gladly accommodate their needs. Frankly, I think we are more likely to discover unicorns dancing in the flame duct.

Excellent keynote address by SpaceX COO and President Gwynne Shotwell. Very articulate and covered SpaceX's history very nicely if you're not familiar with it.
She also includes a couple of videos. Nothing really new but nice nonetheless.
Some highlights:

-New version of Grasshopper "F9R" should fly/hop in December.
-Crew transport in 3 years. Will probably have NASA astronauts but that is still to be decided
-Falco Heavy moves SpaceX cloer to the goal of $1,000/pound
-When asked if their was a business case to go to the Mars she answered very emphatically- NO
-2002, 14 employees
-2013, 3200 employees
-Plan to hire 600 employees in the next few months

Last edited by a moderator:
As another way to bring costs down they are working towards rocket mass production as it has never been done before. Tesla teaching SpaceX.

That would be amazing. Cranking out a rocket every couple months combined with reusability. SpaceX could have a launch every week, then maybe down to one a day.

That would really begin getting stuff into orbit. Then building larger orbital platforms which could become refueling stations for moving ships around the solar system. I sure hope that Elon is secretly planning on mining the asteroid belt.

It still astounds me that SpaceX is doing this with conventional rockets.

I was really beginning to think this wouldn't happen in my lifetime.

That would be amazing. Cranking out a rocket every couple months combined with reusability. SpaceX could have a launch every week, then maybe down to one a day.

That would really begin getting stuff into orbit. Then building larger orbital platforms which could become refueling stations for moving ships around the solar system. I sure hope that Elon is secretly planning on mining the asteroid belt.

It still astounds me that SpaceX is doing this with conventional rockets.

I was really beginning to think this wouldn't happen in my lifetime.

What's really exciting about this is that incremental success accelerates progress. Sure, if SpaceX can get just a reasonable rate of success with Stage 1 they'll be able to get more custom and make more money. But, also consider that reuse makes their own test launches cheaper. The better they get, the more launches they can do. If they get Stage 1 highly-reusable, I'd expect Stage 2 to follow quite quickly.

Fully reusable rockets would make launches a lot cheaper and I'd then expect some radical changes in TV and satellite Internet.

If they have "cheap" launches the next task would be to get the Swiss group's debris-cleaning machine into orbit to clean up space.

Non-sequitur SpaceX related information.

I just read "The Long War" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, which is the second book in the "The Long Earth" series. SpaceX was mentioned in the book and some characters were using Dragon capsules for trips into space. It's interesting that SpaceX has moved into the public's consciousness enough to be used in a science fiction book. The authors are British.

Status
Not open for further replies.