Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Non-sequitur SpaceX related information.

I just read "The Long War" by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, which is the second book in the "The Long Earth" series. SpaceX was mentioned in the book and some characters were using Dragon capsules for trips into space. It's interesting that SpaceX has moved into the public's consciousness enough to be used in a science fiction book. The authors are British.

That's Sir Terry Pratchett to you.

“It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living.”

That's Sir Terry Pratchett to you.

“It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living.”

While true, that's not what it says on the book cover. ;)

Nice quote. He is a brilliant writer. It's terrible that he suffers from Alzheimer's. He seems to have adjusted and is still cranking out books though.

No secondary objective for SES-8 Nov. 25 NET. It's going to take the full capability of the rocket to put this satellite in Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit. The real question is whether the second stage will relight properly. It didn't do so on the first Falcon 9 V1.1 flight.

As far as I am aware, the second stage didn't relight properly for re-entry. That's because the stage was spinning very rapidly and preventing fuel from properly being burned. This shouldn't cause any problems for a second burn in orbit. Besides that, SpaceX and Elon said that they knew what went wrong and can correct for it.

- - - Updated - - -

NASA to replace Russia’s Soyuz with commercial spaceships by 2017 — RT News

No surprise. NASA will be dropping the Soyuz program in 2017 to go with SpaceX and Orbital Sciences. That means that SpaceX and OS will need to have their manned system in place to replace the Soyuz. We know that SpaceX will be ready by 2017.

The article is a little strange in the way it raves about OS but is quiet about how successful SpaceX has been.

Also the article mentions that OS is running into supply problems since they are outsourcing their engines from the Russians.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, the second stage didn't relight properly for re-entry. That's because the stage was spinning very rapidly and preventing fuel from properly being burned. This shouldn't cause any problems for a second burn in orbit. Besides that, SpaceX and Elon said that they knew what went wrong and can correct for it.

I think you are mixing up the two things. First stage relit and re-entered the atmosphere and in the second relighting it spun out of control and they had an engine out too soon meaning it crashed into ocean and was destroyed. The second stage was supposed to relight after deploying cassiope to test the GTO transfer, but they had some issue that aborted the relight. They claim they know what the issue was and that it's fixed for this next launch.

NASA to replace Russia’s Soyuz with commercial spaceships by 2017 — RT News

No surprise. NASA will be dropping the Soyuz program in 2017 to go with SpaceX and Orbital Sciences. That means that SpaceX and OS will need to have their manned system in place to replace the Soyuz. We know that SpaceX will be ready by 2017.

I thought that Orbital Sciences had scrapped plans on building a manned system? I thought it was basically down to SpaceX, Boeing, and Sierra Nevada in the Commercial Crew Development program?

http://www.newspacejournal.com/2011/04/22/orbital-may-wind-down-its-commercial-crew-effort/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/20
13/11/23/which-way-to-space/

Very interesting article about where space is heading with many references to SpaceX and Elon. Tomorrow is another important day with the launch of SES8 which will broadcast live starting at 5pm EDT. Spacex.com/webcast.

-"NASA hopes New Space will come to the rescue"

-" If there’s one thing that New Space has going for it, it’s that Old Space is in trouble. Old Space and New Space turn out to be symbiotic. New Space companies need NASA contracts, and NASA needs New Space companies to pick up the agency’s slack."

-"“The thing with the rocket is, the passing grade is 100 percent. You can’t issue a recall or do a patch,” Musk said. “You either get it all right or you’re screwed.....“I’m under a huge amount of strain,” Musk said. “There’s no two ways about it. I’m trying to do a whole lot of things simultaneously. It’s tough when things are going smoothly, and it’s really tough when things are not.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/20
13/11/23/which-way-to-space/

Very interesting article about where space is heading with many references to SpaceX and Elon. Tomorrow is another important day with the launch of SES8 which will broadcast live starting at 5pm EDT. Spacex.com/webcast.

-"NASA hopes New Space will come to the rescue"

-" If there’s one thing that New Space has going for it, it’s that Old Space is in trouble. Old Space and New Space turn out to be symbiotic. New Space companies need NASA contracts, and NASA needs New Space companies to pick up the agency’s slack."

-"“The thing with the rocket is, the passing grade is 100 percent. You can’t issue a recall or do a patch,” Musk said. “You either get it all right or you’re screwed.....“I’m under a huge amount of strain,” Musk said. “There’s no two ways about it. I’m trying to do a whole lot of things simultaneously. It’s tough when things are going smoothly, and it’s really tough when things are not.”

Fascinating article in your link, aronth. Thank you for sharing!

I noticed a distinct lack of dancing unicorns in those ducts...
Oh, they are there. You just cannot see them. Unicorns are only visible to the pure, right? :wink:

(For the record, I don't know if Rolo is or isn't pure...although from the Teslive posts I can take a guess.)

Alternate possibility: they aren't captured on Film or image sensors.

Thanks to everyone for providing these links; I've learned quite a bit about geostationary orbit this morning.

The size of the global commercial geostationary satellite launch market is no more than 20-25 satellites per year

They’re able to do this thanks to an orbital period of 23 hours and 56 minutes (and 4 seconds), the same time it takes the earth to spin one time. In order to stay in a fixed location (most of them are communication or broadcast satellites) they must reside at much higher altitudes of 22,236 miles compared to around 200-300 miles for many low-earth orbiting satellites. The ISS is at roughly 250 miles with an orbital period of 93 minutes.

...France-based Arianespace, which has a more than 50 percent share of today’s global commercial launch market...

An Ariane 5 launch costs $200 million and carries two spacecraft to geosynchronous transfer orbit. Each launch pairs a heavy satellite typically weighing more than 5,000 kilograms with a lighter one. SpaceX charges $56.5 million for a Falcon 9 launch.

http://behindtheblack.com/behind-the-black/essays-and-commentaries/prices-demand-and-spacex

This article from September 15, 2012 says SpaceX costs about 1/2 as much as the other competitors (including Arianespace). I can see why Arianespace is revisiting their pricing for the smaller payload satellites. If SpaceX launches cost $55 mil, and Arianespace charges $200 mil for 2 satellites, then it sounds like the price is probably split close to 50/50 for the heavier/lighter satellites so around $100 mil for the smaller payload. If SpaceX gets much of the smaller payload business, then Arianespace might have to send a heavier satellite up all alone which would effectively double the cost of the heavier satellite launch. Arianespace needs to retain some of the lighter payload launches or they could be in trouble. Long term they are in trouble regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.