Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tire necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Modern Spare and a set of pucks for my M3 with 18" Aeros. I put it in the car for trips. Flats are rare, but not unheard of. My wife's Leaf got a flat at home in a two week old Bridgestone. It had picked up an allen wrench which worked its way through the tread inside the tire. I borrowed a floor jack and took the tire into Costco. The tire guy was laughing when he told me the cause of the flat. They replaced the tire at no cost and gave me the wrench as a souvenir. If we are driving in town, AAA will take the car on a flatbed to a tire place. If I'm on the road, I want to get moving if I have a flat, so I want a spare. I probably would call AAA to change the tire, because I'm getting old and that's what I pay them for. The Modern Spare will not fit in the frunk of my 3.

Regarding flats, on a road trip from Ma to FL, near Jacksonville FL.
I used the TESLA app and was back on my way in 4 hours.

Not much fits in the fronk, I dont think that a bare rim would fit.
A tesla tire for the M3 is HUGE. If you do that be sure and chain it down,
it could become deadly missile during quick deceleration.

I've had thoughts of adding a luggage carrier, and putting one
up there, but there is a lot of glass up there.
Glass, heavy tire, what could go wrong ? Never did it.

Modern tires are pretty tough but is it wise to have a spare? Will one fit in the fronk? Recommendations?
I don’t think so and I’m on my second car without a spare, about 180k miles. I’m often on the road and more than 100 miles from home. With that much driving I’ve had my share of flat tires.

Almost every road flat I’ve had has been a run flat. The tire was slowly loosing air and I didn’t know it until the tire had destroyed itself and I heard it howling. With today’s TPMS that should never happen. I also carry a small compressor and plug kit in the frunk.

I can only remember hitting road debris once that caused an immediate and unplug-able flat. I do carry towing on my cars paying extra for 100 mile tow range. Not often I’m more than 100 miles from an American / Discount Tire.

Reactions: Discount Tire
I road trip to San Carlos Mexico from Phoenix twice a year for vacations. I take a Modern Spare tire and jack kit. It’s narrow and fits in the trunk with still plenty of room for a large suitcase on top of tire and two carry on size luggage.
The wheel and tire they supply will let you drive at least a couple hundred miles at highway speeds.