Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Modern Spare tire doesn't secure in the trunk, or does it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I've gathered via a search and reading a few threads, it sounds like the Modern Spare tire doesn't fit under the trunk's floorboard, which means that it'll need to be above, in the main area, which probably means that it won't be secured and just floating around back there.

Or, tell me that I have it wrong and that:

A: it does fit underneath the trunk floor

-or-

B: there's an easy way that people are securing it in the main area without occupying the entire space with tie straps, etc.

And yes, I've weighed the options of just calling AAA or using fix-a-flat -- I still want the spare.

As is, it doesn’t fit under the trunk floor. But at least one person did cut up the under trunk liner to make it mostly fit. It still needs a strap to “secure” it along with the facts it over hangs the deeper sub trunk and lifts the floor of the trunk about an inch.

I put mine where the leg room of the rear passenger seat would be. I can’t fold the rear seat without the spare interfering because I still have it in the bag it came with.

Not sure there’s any “easier” way than that or straps in the rear.

That's an interesting option I'd not thought of. I rarely have anyone in the back seat, and it would be easy to move the spare to the trunk when I do.
That's how we do this too.
We only need the spare with us on vacations. And we have no passengers with us. So its very easy to put the spare behind the front seats. Also: that's a place/space that's not in use while normally driving, while cutting away space in the back, takes away storage space that we normally use. Going on holiday means: nothing has to be changed, just pop in the spare.

Really bugs me that Tesla didn't make room for a spare tire in the rear storage are, when they easily could have. People aren't always going to be in areas with cell service or want to wait for their flat to be fixed, often it's just easier to put your own spare tire on. I know it's been the trend for years now where auto manufacture aren't including a spare tire to keep costs down and that's okay. But at least give the vehicle a dedicated are for a spare! Until good airless tires hit the market all vehicles need a spare they can carry.

Reactions: gtae07
Really bugs me that Tesla didn't make room for a spare tire in the rear storage are, when they easily could have. People aren't always going to be in areas with cell service or want to wait for their flat to be fixed, often it's just easier to put your own spare tire on. I know it's been the trend for years now where auto manufacture aren't including a spare tire to keep costs down and that's okay. But at least give the vehicle a dedicated are for a spare! Until good airless tires hit the market all vehicles need a spare they can carry.
It would eat into the cargo area and require making the seats “thicker” so the back would be level when folded down. And cargo is one of many stats that do matter to people.

And that’s knowing the size of the Modern/Stance spare… they might even need a wider spare based on some regulation or whatever. The Y is a mid-size SUV, right? When I think of SUVs, I think of full size spares. That’s even worse. Though i guess plenty of SUVs have donuts, but the Y is a heavier EV too.

I don’t like it either, but it is what it is.

I think it’s a good idea to keep a spare tire in your garage when you are driving locally. Worst case you flat bed the car home and then change the tire. For longer distance trips you have to live with it in the trunk or the back seat. It’s not ideal but it is what it is.
This is a good summary of how I view this topic. It's not difficult nor terribly expensive to have a "kit" ready for travel, or home repair. And if you're not too far from home, someone might even drive the spare kit to you, or Uber home and get it. AAA or roadside assistance always sound like a good suggestion on forums but I've not found it to be the best option in the real world.

Reactions: jr_gn
It would only eat into the cargo sub floor if people like to fill that area up with stuff, most people don't. It would be great to have a spot for a spare tire. Years ago I had a 2001 Honda Insight and below the rear cargo area with a sub trunk and below that you moved a panel and there was a small spare tire, this was the perfect solution. And while yes, it's a good idea to keep a spare in the garage it doesn't help when you get a flat and you have to spend time waiting on someone to come and either repair it or get the car towed, both of which cost you money and time, which isn't good if you were on your way to work or it's a late rainy night. And keeping a spare in the back in a Model Y or back seat is not safe, because it's not secured and can fly around if you were in an accident. This would be disastrous if you had an accident and you or your passenger was severely injured or died due be being hit by the spare tire that got flung around. I'll say it again, every vehicle should have a dedicated space to put a spare tire in, they don't have to include a spare tire but the space should be there and Tesla could have designed the sub trunk to accommodate the size of a small spare tire while still having storage for stuff. I don't understand why auto manufactures decided not no include spares anymore, it makes no sense.

Save on weight = have more actual car for the same weight and fuel consumption.

Honda have been doing it for years, skimping on the sheetmetal over the whole body, dunno about the spare.
I highly doubt that the weight of a small spare tire makes that much of a difference in fuel consumption. But I've seen pictures of those here that have cut out some metal in the storage compartment in the cargo area, so a spare tire could fit. They also still have a lot of room that sub trunk area. Tesla should have done that, then even if you didn't want to carry a spare, you'd have a bit more space to put stuff in. There is no downside to having a spare tire for just in case, take about cheap insurance. And while carrying a plug kit and small compressor is a good idea it still takes time to plug a tire (if it's pluggable). But I certainly wouldn't want to deal with this if I were wearing nice clothes or again, have to wait for roadside assistance or AAA (if I even had cell service).

Can anyone please tell me what is about the dual load limits for the rear sub floor compartment and regular 'trunk space'?

I am thinking to maximise cargo I should take out all the gubbins and reline with carpet. As far as I can figure I should be able to stack around 400kg of passengers and luggage over the back end if the floor can handle it.

If owners can do this and fit a spare in there, you'd think Tesla would have done the same. They just need to give us a place to secure a spare tire.
Not sure why you'd think that.

Tesla isn't doing anything outside the norm concerning the spare, since so many other makers are doing the same thing.

Putting a spare in the sub-trunk area requires mounting hardware and just enough padding to avoid anything damaging/warping over time. That's an extra cost that also takes up room in the cargo area, which some buyers, like myself consider (main reason I bought a Y over a 3).

With a spare, you've lost a shallow part of the sub-trunk, not that important. But more importantly, it blocks/interferes with the deeper sub-trunk. That makes it harder to advertise as a feature.

Additionally, there's a weight cost to it. Some folks say it's a minor cost. I bought a spare, so it's "minor" enough for me to outweigh the disadvantage of not having one, but for them and their advertising numbers, it's not worth it when it eats into the range.

I would love room for a spare under the cargo floor, but I won't make any such claims they should've done so.

I doubt child seat anchors are strong enough to hold a spare tire securely during an accident.

Eh... then how in the world are you supposed to trust it to hold a child?

Goobers,

Yes it has become more of the norm for all auto makers not to include a spare tire or a dedicated place for a spare, but it shouldn't be and consumers shouldn't accept this practice at least not until good airless tires hit the market. Consumers have no problem paying a little extra for a vehicle to include a spare tire, which actually doesn't cost a manufacture that much. But in a Tesla a spare tire could have been designed below the cargo area truck, just like the first Honda Insight did. It had a huge sub trunk and below that was a small spare tire. I'd gladly accept losing 1 mile of range due to the weight of a small spare tire. And we all know Tesla fudged their advertised range numbers and why they got lower across the board, so now they are more realistic numbers, (And just another reason why 400 miles should be the lowest end for all EV's).

Tesla should have given the cars tie down points in the cargo/trunk area so owners could secure a spare tire there if they wanted. At the very least there should be tie down points anyway for luggage and things during trips. Because stuff not properly secured can become deadly missiles during a crash. And child seat anchors are not rated to hold the weight of spare tire, which is greater than a small child. But lets say they were, then how would a spare be secured to them, without causing damage to the interior of the car?

And while most people may never get a flat tire in the life time, some get them frequently. I've only had one blow out 40 years ago and my spare didn't have air in it so I was stranded and forced to walk to find a pay phone, no cell phones back then. Had I checked the spare regularly it would have had air in it and I would have been back on my way in 5 minutes, but I was young and stupid. Over the years I have had nails and screws stuck in my tires and luckily noticed them get lower and was able to plug them myself. I really do wish good airless tires get to the market soon and we won't have to think about this issue anymore. But auto manufactures shouldn't have removed spare tires prior to a good spare replacement was found. Fix a flat is good for most issues to get you moving again but not for all punctures. I've carried some form of it in my vehicles, along with a tire plug kit and small compressor for many years. However, it would be faster to replace the tire than plugging it, getting dirty or wet in the rain without cell service late at night.

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
how would a spare be secured to them, without causing damage to the interior of the car?
Any number of ways.

Eg if the spare was in a sturdy bag and the bag had a couple of sturdy clips then it wouldn't go far.

Lack of proper tie downs is a worse crime than no spare if you ask me.

It's not like you can't buy one if you want one but, it doesn't fit, and there's no provision for tying it down.

I can't find the photo of a unlined trunk I was looking at. Anyone??