Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can that be used with 19s?
The 19" wheels with tires are the same diameter as the 18" and 20" wheels with tires.
18" Hyundai Genesis spares fit as well. There are a ton of cars that use the same bolt pattern and diameter that probably fit. In another thread someone said the 17" Hyundai Genesis spare fit but only on the front so you'd have to rotate the tires if you got a flat in the rear. I wonder if a deflated spate could be wedged into the frunk somehow. Maybe with the liner removed?

The 19" wheels with tires are the same diameter as the 18" and 20" wheels with tires.
18" Hyundai Genesis spares fit as well. There are a ton of cars that use the same bolt pattern and diameter that probably fit. In another thread someone said the 17" Hyundai Genesis spare fit but only on the front so you'd have to rotate the tires if you got a flat in the rear. I wonder if a deflated spate could be wedged into the frunk somehow. Maybe with the liner removed?

Or maybe in the trunk where the extra storage area is in the floor?
The kit does not look like it comes with an appropriate jack though. Not sure if you can just put one of those round adapters on it or what.

I am very cautious of debris in the road, but still get 1-3 flats a year. About half I would venture are not salvageable. For the amount I travel, how tight my schedule can be, and the rural places I occasionally travel to, traveling without a spare is far too risky. I am trying to devise a way to mount a spare to the rear trunk deck. The nice part of weirdness in making the 3 a hatchback with a trunk opening means I may be able to hide the whole tire under the enormous deck.

Anyone have any other ideas before I embark?

Is there anything special about the normal wheel fit? I will probably get a compressor and plugs to keep in the car at all times, but I do have a couple extra wheels for my Scion TC. That size 215/45R/217. Would there be any issues with that size fitting? I would probably only bring the spare for road trips.

Is there anything special about the normal wheel fit? I will probably get a compressor and plugs to keep in the car at all times, but I do have a couple extra wheels for my Scion TC. That size 215/45R/217. Would there be any issues with that size fitting? I would probably only bring the spare for road trips.
Wrong bolt pattern, wrong outside diameter, and 17" rims would probably not clear the brakes.

https://www.amazon.com/2017-2018-Te...eywords=tesla+model+3+jack+pads&tag=tmc064-20

Anybody actually bought this Model 3 wheel/tire from Modern Spare? They mostly seem to be selling wheel & tire kits for Camaros and Corvettes and such. They're also selling direct and on Amazon under the name of some 3rd party. I've been totally frustrated trying to set up a purchase at their location (somewhere in Davis County, Utah, north of Salt Lake City) where I can pick up the tire in person, without paying shipping, on my way to Oregon. They won't let you come to their location, and they want you to pay when ordering. They offered to meet me at a location in Layton, UT, to deliver the wheel & tire, but are refusing to set up a sale where money and wheel change hands at the same time. Something just doesn't feel right with this company. Anyone actually bought this kit from them for a M3?

Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit

i bought this that Tesla sells. Compressor that plugs into 12V to keep tires up to pressure and then also has the ability to inject sealant into a flat tire. So as long as the flat isn't catastrophic I would trust this to at least get me off the highway and to a tire center

The problem with the goo & compressor method is that once the goo is inside the tire, many/most tire shops won't work on the tire and you've effectively wasted a $200 tire and a ~$30 pressure sensor. I'm hoping that somebody who has actually bought the wheel/tire kit from ModernSpare will reply on this thread.

I am coming to Tesla from a Mini Cooper which also did not have a spare. I always carried a plug kit and a compressor. In the over 420,000 miles I put on it I've had probably close to dozen flats and was never delayed more that 20 minutes because of them. Jack up car, remove tire, find hole, plug hole, re-inflate, put back on, and back on my way. So for the Tesla I bought a jack pad (needed because of the odd jack points) a jack and a lug wrench. (was really surprised that the car didn't come w/ a jack and lug wrench). I live in the middle of no where (lets just say Death Valley is not to far away) and the closest service center is 5 hours away. I don't expect id ever be able to use the Tesla road side assistance in any useful way.

Nik

The problem with the goo & compressor method is that once the goo is inside the tire, many/most tire shops won't work on the tire and you've effectively wasted a $200 tire and a ~$30 pressure sensor. I'm hoping that somebody who has actually bought the wheel/tire kit from ModernSpare will reply on this thread.

Yea, for me it's basically a "this tire is shot" method not a "this tire might be patchable"

If the tire's patchable I feel like I should be able to inflate it enough to keep me going with just the compressor.

After confirming the Model 3 uses the 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern, are there any car models that might have a similar sized wheel offhand? I will be looking into finding a full size spare for roadtrips since my Scion TC wheels won't work. A newer (2011+) Scion TC wheel would fit it sounds like though. May just go with that, but will be looking for a wheel around $50 or less off craigslist or the scrapyard.

You just call Tesla Roadside Service and they will:

1) get a Tesla Service van to you.
2) get a loaner tire temporarily
3) tow your car to nearest Service Center to fix it.

In theory this works awesome, in reality it is a crap-shoot. Depends on your location, and where you are etc.

I also had a flat this weekend - discovered it on Sat when going out for lunch. Called Tesla Service, was on hold ~30 mins and then they said, ah someone will call back with availability, etc. Someone did call back, and said they have located a tire and a tow truck will be out to swap it out. An hour and a half later, turns out the size of the tire they had was incorrect (there was some mention of universal size that works on a Model S and X, but it seems not on a 3 - I have a Model 3). Anyways, TL;DR they could not fix this and now it was late Saturday and things were closing and Sunday of course nothing was open and I was back to square one.

The lady who did call back was quite candid - she said, the odds of me finding a spare are quite low - she said on the east coast she has seen better availability of spare tires and on the west coast (where I am) she has seen it quite poor. She did not know why, but that is what was shared.

In my case I had a slow leak, so was able to top it up and drive the 6 odd miles to a Discount Tires to get it fixed. They have worked on a lot of Teslas and are fairly close to a SC.

Am sharing here if it helps someone else plan and learn from our experience.

I've had several flat tires over the past, um, many decades that I've been driving, and have yet to have a situation where I couldn't use a portable air compressor to get me to a tire place. One time it took two pumping stops (we were in the middle of Oregon somewhere), but it worked. Unless it's a blowout, most leaks are slow enough that you can pump them up faster than they leak down. They're cheap and small, and don't goop up the insides of the tire.
I don't know enough on this and am learning - the Tesla kit comes with one - would that be good enough (without using the goo thing) - any ideas? Thanks.

After confirming the Model 3 uses the 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern, are there any car models that might have a similar sized wheel offhand? I will be looking into finding a full size spare for roadtrips since my Scion TC wheels won't work. A newer (2011+) Scion TC wheel would fit it sounds like though. May just go with that, but will be looking for a wheel around $50 or less off craigslist or the scrapyard.

The Genesis has a spare tire that fits. Just make sure you get the 18" spare as the 17" won't clear the rear calipers. Model year isn't important as they all have 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Also the spare is the correct size so it has the same revolutions per mile as the OEM tires (T135/80R18). The genesis has a 12mm lug where the TM3 has a 14mm lug so the holes are a little tight. I was going to ream them but it fit my car fine with no problems. The wheel says max 50mph and this is even molded into the tire side wall. However the tire load/speed rating on the tire side wall says 113M where 113 means it can handle a load of 2540lbs and M means it's rated for 81mph so I figure as long as I keep it to 70mph or less I should be good to go. Obviously if it's excessively hot out I would go slower for a wider margin of safety. I'm guessing they say a max of 50 due to a smaller contact patch that would yield far longer stopping distance especially under adverse conditions being more of a safety factor than just failure due to excessive speed. FYI the OE tire ratings are 98W for 1650lbs and 168mph. There is a thread on Model 3 owners club with a lot of information on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Daniel in SD