Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tire options for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased one from "Modern Spare" (modernspare.com) and kept it in the trunk while on a 3,500 mile road trip. It's not cheap but it is nice to have an all-inclusive package (tire, jack, lug nuts, lug wrench, etc.), in one bag - it even has a handle on it. Downside is that it does take up a fair amount of space in the trunk. I also keep one of the tire repair/inflator kits from Tesla in the trunk. I tend to subscribe to "if I have it, I won't need it, but if I don't have it, I will need it".

You can get compact spares at modernspare and bimmerzone for about $280. Then you could also try to buy a match from another mfr like the Hyundai Genesis 18" compact spare. Some have gotten it for $100, but I got one recently for $150. It matches the diameter and the lug spacing matches. Just be sure it's the 18". The modernspare and bimmerzone spares are rated for higher speeds than the Hyundai.

For a full-size spare, you can try to buy someone's takeoff wheel.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I purchased one from "Modern Spare" (modernspare.com) and kept it in the trunk while on a 3,500 mile road trip. It's not cheap but it is nice to have an all-inclusive package (tire, jack, lug nuts, lug wrench, etc.), in one bag - it even has a handle on it. Downside is that it does take up a fair amount of space in the trunk. I also keep one of the tire repair/inflator kits from Tesla in the trunk. I tend to subscribe to "if I have it, I won't need it, but if I don't have it, I will need it".

I also purchased one from Modern Spare and it's a very well polished product. It's not like a normal donut, it's more like a thinner cool alloy, with all the tools you'll need and has speed rating 0f 80mph (most donuts are 40/50 I believe). Wife a bit of a commute and keeps it in car, and it does take up a fair bit in trunk but you'll likely have that issue with any spare.

On road-trips it's piece of mind that I can get going again if it happens.

Clearly, until we actually need to use the spare, can't vouch for how effective it really is !!

I drive 138 miles to work, once per week (airline pilot). After looking at all the spare options, I decided to go with a plug kit, tire Slime, and a 12 volt compressor. Also keeping needle nose tires, rubber cement, and spare valve stems in the kit.

The hyundai genesis spare will be the most affordable option. Ebay will be your best friend on that one. 135/80r18 is the size you need.

Here is an example, but you might find it for cheaper if you keep looking for it. The 18x4 is usually the same one, but check and confirm.

2017 2018 GENESIS G80 SPARE TIRE RIM WHEEL 18" 9 SPOKE BLACK 52910-B1850 191275149881 | eBay
Just bought the exact same tire, for $150 on eBay. Be patient and you can get a better price.

And no, none of the compact spares will fit in the trunk. Wouldn't that be nice if it did!

You can fit all 4 aero caps in the front trunk and that is about all the space it has. If you do, just make sure no sharp edgess can scratch the outsides. I make 2 pairs face each other with a towel between them. I keep my spare in the trunk at all times since I have zero interest in waiting for roadside assistance.

One other thing to note is that if you got a rear flat and have RWD, it is still best to move the spare to the front over the drive motor. It is supposed to be nearly the same diameter, but I would still do that if I got a flat.

I plan to keep my one of my winter 18 inch tires/wheels as a spare for long road trips (2000 miles). I have the 20 inch summer tires/wheels, if I use the winter tire as a spare, how long can I drive with the spare on?
Usually, you're limited by the specifications of the spare tire; most "donut spares" have speed and/or distance limitations. But since you're using a regular road tire as your spare, I don't think you would be speed and/or distance limited. Now that's assuming that Tesla doesn't have any limitations on mixing tire/wheel sizes, which is definitely worth looking into.

Don't get 17s, as they're not guaranteed to fit. I know they're quite a bit cheaper. Just be patient and look for the 18s. As far as I can tell, they all have the 9-spoke design.
IMG_3568.jpg

Reactions: usavincent
I plan to keep my one of my winter 18 inch tires/wheels as a spare for long road trips (2000 miles). I have the 20 inch summer tires/wheels, if I use the winter tire as a spare, how long can I drive with the spare on?
With a full size spare, you would not have the limitations associated with a compact spare.

However, the one winter tire will have very different levels of grip from the three summer tires, so hard braking or cornering may be more likely to give an unpleasant surprise. In addition, winter tires tend to wear out quickly in non-winter conditions.

I have a 15” T125/70D15 5 lug that came of a Honda Civic. Do you think in an emergency it would fit my 2022 model 3? I would just need it to get me to the next town where I can get a flat tire fixed, if needed. I drive 78 miles to work (one way) daily and would hate to have to buy an emergency spare when I have one laying around in my garage.

Thanks,
rail*