Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tyre for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You buy it after you own the car, via an in-app service request. Just spell out what you want (what I wrote is at the top of the screen shot) and they’ll come back with a quote. The buying process is separate, and is as straightforward as possible.
yep - I think that's what will happen
I contacted Tesla earlier today and they initially referred me to the Accessories page on the website
I replied that I had already looked there and wheel + tyre were not available - chains, a nice cover for a wheel + tyre, faux-carbon things for the middle of the wheel etc, but no wheels or tyres
also 'please enquire with our local Service Department once you’ve taken delivery on whether 1 is available for purchase', and advice that I can call roadside service anytime
I have my doubts about that if I'm driving around the Snowy Mountains, as is my frequent habit

I have my doubts about that if I'm driving around the Snowy Mountains, as is my frequent habit
I’ve used their loaner wheel service in Queanbeyan. It worked beautifully. My old wheel was waiting for me at the local Tyrepower, repaired, with $20 owing. No charge for the callout.

Not sure about the snowys.

Though thanks for the reminder. I’m doing a day trip to Jindy & probably Smiggins on Thursday, for my nephew’s birthday. Wouldn’t hurt to pack the spare.

Oh, if you’re in the area and would like a used but serviceable tyre, to go with your rim, let me know. This is assuming we’re talking about base model 18” (235/45 R18)

• Helpful
Reactions: Nobody Famous
I’ve used their loaner wheel service in Queanbeyan. It worked beautifully. My old wheel was waiting for me at the local Tyrepower, repaired, with $20 owing. No charge for the callout.

Not sure about the snowys.

Though thanks for the reminder. I’m doing a day trip to Jindy & probably Smiggins on Thursday, for my nephew’s birthday. Wouldn’t hurt to pack the spare.

Oh, if you’re in the area and would like a used but serviceable tyre, to go with your rim, let me know. This is assuming we’re talking about base model 18” (235/45 R18)
thanks for the offer, but I will get a wheel + tyre by some means
it’s a 19” wheel but I gather that the tyre profiles somehow magically give us the same diameter
that might explain why the snow chains are the same size [though not on the König website]
notwithstanding my comments above, my tyre problems over a decade or two have all been city issues with nails from building sites

I'm considering the same option. MS quoted me $792.00 [full kit] delivered to my home in Sth Aust. But is that in US Dollars or Australian Dollars. Could you please give me guidance
Grateful
Mine was for a Model S so difficult to compare, but the delivered cost totalled US$687.51. The "S" kit includes a rear wheel spacer (a heavy round spacer with different in/out lugs and nuts about 50mm thick. So I would guess that your quote is in AU$, but easy to check.
I posted elsewhere I think the saga that DHL made of the delivery routing, the missing bits and the "finding" and delivery of those (they weren't anything to do with what they'd lost) but Modern Spare sent replacements post haste.
If you PM me I'll send you the DHL saga of incompetence - good for a laugh if you're not on the receiving end - and DHL have a pretty dreadful set of reviews on ProductReview.com so I would ask MS to use FedX or UPS!

I bought the full Modern Spare set for my model 3 in Dec 2019. At that time Modern Spare was also selling their stuff via eBay, and using that was significantly cheaper (mostly due to lower shipping costs). I bought it that way. It took forever to arrive.

I don't know if they still sell via eBay, but it's worth a check.

The Tesla wheel size is, unfortunately, quite unique. Stud pattern + hub diameter. You'll struggle to find one. Also, there is an odd bolt on the disk brake caliper, which you'll have to remove if you want to fit a non standard wheel.

I know the S+X are a different pattern, but I believe the M3 is 5x114.3 (or 5x4.5”) which is Ford medium duty stud pattern (Falcon)

I’ve not tried myself, but a trip to the wrecker may assist? I know the offset of falcons changed more to a front wheel drive type as the years went by. You’d probably need a wheel spacer (which aren’t legal) but would probably suffice for a spare to get you out of trouble.

I know the S+X are a different pattern, but I believe the M3 is 5x114.3 (or 5x4.5”) which is Ford medium duty stud pattern (Falcon)

I’ve not tried myself, but a trip to the wrecker may assist? I know the offset of falcons changed more to a front wheel drive type as the years went by. You’d probably need a wheel spacer (which aren’t legal) but would probably suffice for a spare to get you out of trouble.
I think the genesis is the only matching wheel size, and they are rarer than Tesla's.

To be honest, it's easier to pick up a second hand tesla wheel.

Reactions: Leeroy
has anyone bought one from tesla?
if so, how much does a wheel cost?
I bought 2 spare tyres from Tesla at Chatswood, cost 445$ each they are Z235/35/ZR 20. due to their size they are difficult to find but Tesla had a couples I bought them. I am looking to buy a rim as a spare so would be appreciative as to where I could source one that'll fit my model 3 performance DM.

I bought 2 spare tyres from Tesla at Chatswood, cost 445$ each they are Z235/35/ZR 20. due to their size they are difficult to find but Tesla had a couples I bought them. I am looking to buy a rim as a spare so would be appreciative as to where I could source one that'll fit my model 3 performance DM.
Jax say they sell them to suit the M3P. The Newcastle franchise is quite keen on Teslas and if the Sydney crews aren’t helpful it is not much of a drive.

I bought the full Modern Spare set for my model 3 in Dec 2019. At that time Modern Spare was also selling their stuff via eBay, and using that was significantly cheaper (mostly due to lower shipping costs). I bought it that way. It took forever to arrive.

I don't know if they still sell via eBay, but it's worth a check.
This one?

Can anyone speak to the impact on range when carrying a spare?
Thanks!
My experience is that weight carried doesn't make much difference to range. You lose a bit on the uphills, you gain a bit on the downhills, overall the effect isn't large.

As @Hairyman says, the "advanced options" in ABRP lets you add additional weight and see how that changes the consumption on particular routes.