Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare tyre under-trunk modification for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for those who have gone before... is cutting the semicircular portion forward of the divider required (ref post 34 where the blue-ish metal is visible)? Or can you get away with only cutting the divider out and folding the carpet down?

Question for those who have gone before... is cutting the semicircular portion forward of the divider required (ref post 34 where the blue-ish metal is visible)? Or can you get away with only cutting the divider out and folding the carpet down?
I don't know which picture U are talking about. I only cut the divider out and fold the carpet toward the back

Attachments

• First try April 14 2023 1.jpg
    First try April 14 2023 1.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 205
  • First try April 14 2023 2.jpg
    First try April 14 2023 2.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: gtae07
I don't know which picture U are talking about. I only cut the divider out and fold the carpet toward the back
I was talking about the part marked up in red. But looking closer at the pics you have it seems to answer my question. Thanks!

(I just ordered the car yesterday so I can't get hands on yet)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230502-111247.png
    Screenshot_20230502-111247.png
    796 KB · Views: 140
While the car was never quiet, I fear I made the road noise worse by removing that bit of insulation. I traded in on a new MYP and wont be hacking up the rear this time. I'll just throw the Modern Spare in the back for any extended road trips.

Reactions: jr_gn
NO I did not cut that part. U don't have to
I DID cut that part. It removed a couple of inches of foam to allow the wheel to set lower in the back. You can try it without cutting first and see what you prefer.

I did not think about the noise increase, but may go back and put some butyl over that and perhaps a piece of 1/4" noise reducing foam. I haven't noticed an increase in road noise. But my car was never really bad from a noise perspective.

I DID cut that part. It removed a couple of inches of foam to allow the wheel to set lower in the back. You can try it without cutting first and see what you prefer.

I did not think about the noise increase, but may go back and put some butyl over that and perhaps a piece of 1/4" noise reducing foam. I haven't noticed an increase in road noise. But my car was never really bad from a noise perspective.
IMO... that tiny little foam does NOTHING to noise reduction. If U all Pros have a chance to visit a recording studio then u would know what they do for noise reduction. I had a job interview in 1978 when I was a young and stupid engineer and a scientist took me into a 'noise reduction" room where he popped a balloon and I thought he just farted ...hahahaha, barely hear the noise

• Funny
Reactions: KevinT3141
I throw one of my spare winter/summer (depending on season) tires in the trunk for long trips. Turn it upside down and you can store stuff in the rim. I use the subtrunk to hold a hydraulic jack and tire iron.

For every day driving I just have fixaflat and a plug kit.

I throw one of my spare winter/summer (depending on season) tires in the trunk for long trips. Turn it upside down and you can store stuff in the rim. I use the subtrunk to hold a hydraulic jack and tire iron.

For every day driving I just have fixaflat and a plug kit.
For all Tesla Pros out there
Please share your recommendations of Fix a Flat and a plug kit that U have used and highly recommended
Enjoy yours

For all Tesla Pros out there
Please share your recommendations of Fix a Flat and a plug kit that U have used and highly recommended
Enjoy yours
I can't recommend a specific plug kit - I have the rope type purchased at AutoZone and it's worked fine for me. Your best option IMO is to skip the fix a flat and just carry a plug kit and a compressor.
More good info here: modern-spare-still-recommended.277812
And here: flat-tire-replacement-for-stock-19-gemini.293696
Lot's more tips if you search top right.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I can't recommend a specific plug kit - I have the rope type purchased at AutoZone and it's worked fine for me. Your best option IMO is to skip the fix a flat and just carry a plug kit and a compressor.
More good info here: modern-spare-still-recommended.277812
And here: flat-tire-replacement-for-stock-19-gemini.293696
Lot's more tips if you search top right.
Thanks. Yes I have a Modern Spare tire in my cargo trunk, hidden quite well I think (based on previous work by other Pros). I am just curious about plug kit technology. I guess if damage on the side wall then done

Reactions: Dennisis
I also wonder if the

I wonder if this YouTuber is working with Modern Spare's original Maxxis tire (found to trigger error messages and excessive unilateral braking due to a diameter mismatch) or the newer, larger Conti spare. Are we certain the Continental fits in the well at all? I personally still have the semi-useless Maxxis and am awaiting a swap from Modern Spare.
Not to derail the thread, but what’s wrong with the Maxxis? I have one but haven’t used it yet. The diameter looks fine propped up against the car. Maybe *slightly* smaller, like 1/4”. If it’s complaining about slip, disabling traction control should eliminate the unwanted braking, yeah? Both slip start and off road mode should disable TC according to the manual but again I haven’t tried it.

EDIT: I see the rolling diameter is actually an inch different. I guess I can't eyeball it very well.

Spare: 165/70R18 Tires.
OEM: 255/45R19 Tires.

Last edited: