Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Special colors for Performance models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ZoomsansVroom

Supporting Member
May 3, 2019
OK, so Tesla seems to have enough issues dealing with paint - but some other companies, especially American ones, have reserved certain colors for their high-performance models.

It helps to differentiate the econo versions from the higher end ones.

Frankly, I think its a good idea. I know there are some folks who are uncomfortable with their base 3 being confused for a more expensive car, and I get grief for my 3P being such a plain car, compared to what I usually drive.

(Of course, its also has a frown, so obviously appearance isn't the most important factor to Tesla.)

I never see red Teslas, anyway - seems like they should maybe have it as only a performance color/something else interesting.

Originally, there were several differentiating items claimed - for eg all glass roof and white interior reserved for higher end models. Then Tesla realized they needed money RIGHT NOW and that changed. Probably if/when things stabilize they will start to differentiate like a normal car company.

Clearly they can't handle that kind of complexity right now, which is why the base paint option is the absurd choice of pearl white

I always thought they should batch some new colors and rotate them every 6 months. You could get some people off the fence and provide a little more variety doing limited release colors. The boring color palette plus how many they're selling is becoming an issue. Everyone's car looks the same!

Dream on. Tesla makes pre-painted parts and bumpers so limits the SKUs. Also Tesla made the more expensive (cost to Tesla too) Multi Coat white standard rather than offer a standard white as the standard color.

You can always set yourself apart without Tesla's help by doing something like this (your choice of color):
IMG_6323.JPG