Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Specify end charging time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an interesting chart showing California power load split by renewable vs non-renewable:
upload_2018-10-17_11-57-35.png

That's 10 hours of charging. At 32A, it's about 300 miles. You couldn't charge past that if you wanted to.

But if you're charging on a 20 amp circuit and only getting 16 amps of power, 10 hours is not enough to fully recharge the car, which would push you into the peak period if you did a lot of driving the day before. Even a 30 amp breaker and 24 amp charging could run into this limitation. Additionally, some areas have narrower off-peak or super-off-peak power windows.

2x. My Cadillac ELR has an excellent charge timer - You can set on peak, off peak, and mid peak rate windows on a weekday / weekend basis, tell the car in what rate times it's allowed to charge, and set a calendar for for when summer and winter rate schedules are.

You can also tell it to start charging at plug in, when the off peak or mid peak time starts, charge to 40% when plugged in then stop if it's peak time, and to start charging to be ready at a specific departure time (which can be set per day). I use that mode so that the battery warm in the winter before leaving for work.

You can also override all the timer settings by unplugging the EVSE and plugging it back in within 10 sec.

All that for a wimpy 3.3 kw charger o_O

It's nice to have so that the car doesn't keep charging when peak power starts in the morning. If Tesla had something similar they could include geofencing!

I think even our "basic" Fiat 500e has a start / stop time setting.
Wow! That's quite a bit on the ELR.

FWIW, Leaf has had a start and end timer since day 1 (model year 2011). You can also specify one w/o the other or both. And, each day can have different start and end times. '11 to '17 SV and SL trims all have this.

However, a new cheaper trim became available starting w/model year '13, the S trim. On the '13 to '17 S, there's only a single cumbersome to set end timer that has no knowledge of days either.

It's pretty sad, but the Chevy Bolt (and, I gather, the Volt) have MUCH more sophisticated control of charging times than Teslas do.

In my Bolt, I can program in the times for peak, partial peak and off peak rates for weekdays and weekends in summer and in winter and tell it if I only want it to charge in off-peak hours. And, as with the Tesla, those limits are linked to the location (home) where I set them. So, I can set it to program only in off-peak hours. I think I also have the option of setting it to charge at higher rates if the battery is below a certain level and, any time I want I can tell it to charge immediately instead of waiting. Oh, and I can also tell it to finish charging by the time I expect to leave. I just leave it set to only charge at off-peak rates. That's plenty for me.