Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on the reason for the refresh delay

What's the reason for the S refresh delay?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until there is a non-Tesla long distance fast charging network, it will be difficult for any manufacturer to compete with Tesla. What's surprising is that the other manufacturers announced their new EVs several years ago - and they don't seem much closer today in having something to compete with the Supercharger and Destination Charger network.

It appears the long wait for the refresh units is close to ending, with deliveries starting soon. Tesla avoids pre-announcing new product changes, to avoid the type of sales declines the other manufacturers see at the end of each model year. But once Tesla shutdown manufacturing, Tesla (Musk) should have admitted the refresh was a large change - and that there would be delays that could take 6 months (or longer) before the first refreshed models would be delivered...

And how long did I wait for my Model S: 7 months
And for my first Model X: 8 months
And for my Model X Raven: 6 months
And for my Model 3: 17 months
And for my Model Y: 3 months
And for my CYBRTRK: 27 months (est)

And each one so far has been worth the wait.

Cry me a river.

Hey, you can always buy a Hyundai and have it yesterday.
The only difference is you knew about the wait times when you ordered. Whereas in this particular case people were told that deliveries would start in February and then once again that delivery time frame was reiterated by the CEO during earnings, in fact he said the vehicle was in production and will be delivered in February. Then it was pushed back with no explanation, then pushed back again and again and again all without any kind of reason from Tesla.

And how long did I wait for my Model S: 7 months
And for my first Model X: 8 months
And for my Model X Raven: 6 months
And for my Model 3: 17 months
And for my Model Y: 3 months
And for my CYBRTRK: 27 months (est)

And each one so far has been worth the wait.

Cry me a river.

Hey, you can always buy a Hyundai and have it yesterday.
^^^ A fan born not of hype, but by experience with the product ^^^

I would say if you don't want to wait for new, buy used, but that is not really an option now from the look of inventory at Tesla AND anywhere else. Regular people are finally realizing these are amazing cars.

The only difference is you knew about the wait times when you ordered. Whereas in this particular case people were told that deliveries would start in February and then once again that delivery time frame was reiterated by the CEO during earnings, in fact he said the vehicle was in production and will be delivered in February. Then it was pushed back with no explanation, then pushed back again and again and again all without any kind of reason from Tesla.
I had no idea of impending wait times and in most cases, they extended over time.
It's Tesla. It's TESLA!
For now and who knows how long, that's the way it is.
It ain't right, but it's real.
You can get about as much truth from a CEO, as you can from a politician.
As gramps used to say, "It is what it is"
"Giddy up, or giddy off."

Why would anyone sell their car before the new one arrived? Painful lesson.

Last edited:
While some of the delay is likely due to Musk's typically overly optimistic schedule projections (when has he ever promised something that showed up early or even on time?), due to the pandemic, we are seeing an increasing number of manufacturers with part shortages, making it difficult for them to predict when they'll be able to deliver products.

That may not (entirely) be the case with the refreshed S/X delay - though we should expect Tesla will be impacted by component shortages at some point - which could last for another 12-24 months.

Just checked my Tesla account this morning and was surprised to see that they have removed estimated delivery date of August for my refreshed S (LR) . The August delivery date was there for quite some time. What could this mean? Are they recalculating a more granular delivery date? Earlier than August? I had placed order on March 10, 2021.

Saw some drone footage of Fremont factory parking with several Model S (Plaid) ready for shipment. Manybe Tesla wants to coordinate mass distribution of refreshed S (Plaid) on June 3rd when they officially handover the keys for a Model S (Plaid) to a customer in an official ceremony. I am sure they will try their best to deliver as many Model S cars by June 30th. in their usual quarterly push to exceed their goals.

Just checked my Tesla account this morning and was surprised to see that they have removed estimated delivery date of August for my refreshed S (LR) . The August delivery date was there for quite some time. What could this mean? Are they recalculating a more granular delivery date? Earlier than August? I had placed order on March 10, 2021.

Saw some drone footage of Fremont factory parking with several Model S (Plaid) ready for shipment. Manybe Tesla wants to coordinate mass distribution of refreshed S (Plaid) on June 3rd when they officially handover the keys for a Model S (Plaid) to a customer in an official ceremony. I am sure they will try their best to deliver as many Model S cars by June 30th. in their usual quarterly push to exceed their goals.
Same boat. Ordered mine months ago and my date changed repeatedly until it populated "August" the past few weeks. Now, nada!! I'm hoping that's a good sign!!?? I guess time will tell. I'm thinking I'll just randomly get an email in the next few months telling me my car is waiting for me in Dallas!!!

Reactions: RobK
Hopefully with the unveiling and delivery of refreshed Model S (Plaid) tomorrow (6/10/21) Model S (LR) customers might get some clarity as to when we can expect our cars. My guess is that Tesla will focus on making and delivering as many Plaid in June as possible to spruce up their profit numbers. Hopefully they will start making and delivering LR cars from July.

Just saw a delivery date update for my S (LR) on my account. It is August. I believe it was August before they took that date off. I had placed my order on March 10, 2021.
Will be interested in hearing from people who had placed their order earlier. Hopefully we can get updates from from real LR users when they get their new car.

Just saw a delivery date update for my S (LR) on my account. It is August. I believe it was August before they took that date off. I had placed my order on March 10, 2021.
Will be interested in hearing from people who had placed their order earlier. Hopefully we can get updates from from real LR users when they get their new car.
Good luck, I'm in the same "time group" as you are for the 21 S(LR) and mine showed August before it disappeared. Mine is still showing nothing. I'm hoping it happens before the Fed starts raising interest rates and auto loan rates start going up!

Good luck, I'm in the same "time group" as you are for the 21 S(LR) and mine showed August before it disappeared. Mine is still showing nothing. I'm hoping it happens before the Fed starts raising interest rates and auto loan rates start going up!
Unfortunately the August date that had popped up couple of days ago has now vanished!
I had sent an email to the Kansas City "Store Leader" last week asking an update on my order but have not received any response. I guess customer service is not their forte when you are buying a $100K product.

I am new to TMC but long time owner (2012 MS85 sold in 2015, and 2015 MS85D recently sold). I currently own a 2018 RWD M3 with LR MS on order (RN11534XXXX) placed on 7/21/21 for Midnight Silver with Cream interior and 21" wheels and FSD. I had previously ordered the Plaid+ to get the 4680 batteries and 520 mile range, but decided to go with LR when the Plaid+ was cancelled. They initially gave me an October delivery date but that disappeared and was replaced today with Nov 8 to 28 delivery date. Hopefully they will adhere to that date as I sold my MS last week and am doubling up with my wife's M3 to get by until the new car arrives.

I am new to TMC but long time owner (2012 MS85 sold in 2015, and 2015 MS85D recently sold). I currently own a 2018 RWD M3 with LR MS on order (RN11534XXXX) placed on 7/21/21 for Midnight Silver with Cream interior and 21" wheels and FSD. I had previously ordered the Plaid+ to get the 4680 batteries and 520 mile range, but decided to go with LR when the Plaid+ was cancelled. They initially gave me an October delivery date but that disappeared and was replaced today with Nov 8 to 28 delivery date. Hopefully they will adhere to that date as I sold my MS last week and am doubling up with my wife's M3 to get by until the new car arrives.
The EDD has been a sore spot for most of the MS LR customers especially with 19" wheel. Do not be surprised if the EDD ping-pongs over time. I made the mistake of selling my S 85 with just 20K miles in March when I placed the order for MS LR. My current EDD is between October 8 to October 28. Now it has been over 5 months being a silent passenger in my wife's ICE car, not an easy thing to do!

You may like the following TMC thread for further details. 2021 MS 19” Tempest Delivery Tracking

The reason people are not cancelling IMO is because Tesla is still the best EV currently almost being produced.
Exactly. Tesla has amazing design and marketing, along with an innovative business model of direct sales, service and fuel (superchargers). Those changes were welcome. But their manufacturing execution is far behind the rest of the industry, while Musk hypes models and features long before they are available.

Meantime, while the rest of the industry has mastered manufacturing execution, they lack the design and commitment to electric vehicles. For example, try a Ford or Toyota infotainment system and you'll appreciate the Tesla system. Or visit a few non-Supercharger public EV chargers and see how many are broken at any given time.

If there were a good Tesla alternative, people would buy it. There's plenty of promises, but nobody else is delivering - yet.