Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on the reason for the refresh delay

What's the reason for the S refresh delay?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cruised by the nearest Tesla showroom/SC yesterday. Plenty of 3s and Ys but no vehicles at all on the showroom floor (as would be expected during a time of low stock) and not a single refreshed S on the lot (didn't expect to see one so far from Fremont anyway.)

This is simply about Tesla's inexperience as a manufacturer of complex products, and failure to backfill that inexperience with professional management. You do not stop production of an existing line of products that will be supplanted by a new line until the replacement product is fully sorted, all the supply chain issues are fully lined up and in hand (warehoused), any backlog is dealt with, any design issues are solved and settled into the production/supply parameters. Only then do you push the go button, with a very clear cut-over process, which for major auto manufacturers entails a couple weeks of downtime. Logistics has never been a strong point for Tesla, but there is no excuse for this given the availability of capital and its ability to hire talent who know about doing such things. Further, these models are to be built on existing lines, do not require standing up effective new factories as was the case for the 3 and Y - heads should be rolling - this is what companies have boards for - accountability and responsibility. Teething was okay in 2021, 2013, and maybe during the 3 production hell. Not now. The capital markets have been flooding this company with financial resources for several years. There are no excuses.

True. Logistics is not Tesla's strong point. In spite of that, they are the largest vehicle manufacturer by capital in the world in a matter of how many years? Look how far they have come in a few years. And it is not like GM and FORD with decades of experience don't have Logistics problems. Thousands of FORD F-150 and trucks are sitting in parking lots awaiting chips.
1621340747699.png

I would say that TESLA's Logistics problems are more related to implosion which occurs when a corporation expands too rapidly. Their infrastructure and knowledge base is not able to sustain its expansion and it appears that Musk's penchant to keep tight control on products doesn't add to fluidity.

In all fairness, what other car manufacturer responds as well to customer input? Paint and body panel issues (fixed), noise in the Model Y (not really. It's the same as a Cadillac CTS), but Tesla still worked to fix it (double-pane laminated windows) and so many other examples. They will soon be building vehicles at five worldwide locations.
Growing pains, rapid expansion, too many new products at once, and inexperience all factor into the delays, but I think the most powerful one is expanding their universe before establishing a solid foundation. They will succeed and address all of the surfaced issues in time, however not to the satisfaction of all.

Are we complaining about the delivery time on the CYBRTRK? Let's see now maybe 3 years? Well maybe so, but there are still one-half-a-million reservations and deposits out there. Hey, you can always buy a Hyundai......

First time buyer/owner and this has been an interesting read!! I'm learning a lot, thanks for all the input on this string. I'm still very excited to get mine. However, my timeline keeps getting longer and longerrrrrrr. Model S LR w/ FSD, ordered Feb 3, 2021. Original delivery April 2021. Updated to June 1-30, 2021. Updated to June 21-30, 2021. Updated two days ago to AUGUST!!!!! Anyone else seeing this?

First time buyer/owner and this has been an interesting read!! I'm learning a lot, thanks for all the input on this string. I'm still very excited to get mine. However, my timeline keeps getting longer and longerrrrrrr. Model S LR w/ FSD, ordered Feb 3, 2021. Original delivery April 2021. Updated to June 1-30, 2021. Updated to June 21-30, 2021. Updated two days ago to AUGUST!!!!! Anyone else seeing this?
There's a whole thread about it

Yes. Very similar experience here too. I ordered my S (LR) on 3/10. Original delivery date was 10-14 weeks. Few days ago it changed to August.
Hopefully we may get some clarity when Tesla delivers the first refreshed Model S (Plaid) in a ceremony on June 3rd at their plant in CA.

It seems that Tesla is "pushing" the refreshed MS (Plaid) now over MS (LR). From a company perspective it makes good economic sense as the Plaid has a much higher profit margin then LR. Window-dressing at the end of a quarter is nothing new in corporate America.

If you order a MS (Plaid) today on Tesla's website you will get it by June but if you order a MS (LR) you will get it by September.

Hopefully our MS (LR) cars will start rolling-out from July after the Q2 rush is over. Fingers crossed.

It seems that Tesla is "pushing" the refreshed MS (Plaid) now over MS (LR). From a company perspective it makes good economic sense as the Plaid has a much higher profit margin then LR. Window-dressing at the end of a quarter is nothing new in corporate America.

If you order a MS (Plaid) today on Tesla's website you will get it by June but if you order a MS (LR) you will get it by September.

Hopefully our MS (LR) cars will start rolling-out from July after the Q2 rush is over. Fingers crossed.
Highly unlikely.

Reactions: boonedocks
I really should stop complaining that I bought a car that Tesla falsely said was in production and would be delivered in February but still isn’t actually in production, and that Tesla hasn’t sent me a single communication about when it actually intends to deliver my car.

Spare me the retort that making prototypes is “production.” We know that isn’t true based on Tesla’s use of the word “production car” in hyping the (undemonstrated) speed of its vehicles. (Fastest production car ever!!!)
I ordered MS last November. I was "estimated" to have a car by Dec 31. The only communication I had was when they called around Christmas and tried to get me to take something different. Def sucks since I sold my other car based on their estimated delivery date.

Reactions: Sbaimo
I really should stop complaining that I bought a car that Tesla falsely said was in production and would be delivered in February but still isn’t actually in production, and that Tesla hasn’t sent me a single communication about when it actually intends to deliver my car.

Spare me the retort that making prototypes is “production.” We know that isn’t true based on Tesla’s use of the word “production car” in hyping the (undemonstrated) speed of its vehicles. (Fastest production car ever!!!)
You didn't buy the car. You placed an order and put a small deposit down on it.

It sounds like you think Tesla is lying about the performance of the vehicle. Why would you believe them on anything? Why would you order a car from them?????? You should just cancel it man.

You didn't buy the car. You placed an order and put a small deposit down on it.

It sounds like you think Tesla is lying about the performance of the vehicle. Why would you believe them on anything? Why would you order a car from them?????? You should just cancel it man.
The reason people are not cancelling IMO is because Tesla is still the best EV currently almost being produced.

And how long did I wait for my Model S: 7 months
And for my first Model X: 8 months
And for my Model X Raven: 6 months
And for my Model 3: 17 months
And for my Model Y: 3 months
And for my CYBRTRK: 27 months (est)

And each one so far has been worth the wait.

Cry me a river.

Hey, you can always buy a Hyundai and have it yesterday.