Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on the reason for the refresh delay

What's the reason for the S refresh delay?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jaguar36

Apr 10, 2014
NJ
The refresh has been delay for some unknown reason (or possibly multiple) Nobody from the CEO to the SAs has any idea whats going on, but that won't stop us from speculating on the reason! Alot of these have been discussed to death or even 'disproven' in the sticky delivery thread, but I think alot of folks are still convinced thats the reason for the delay. So vote on your favorite, I know I probably missed a couple.

Reactions: Filter
S 100D deliveries were delayed until they got (EPA?) approval.

It was frustrating because our 100D was sitting at the local service center for weeks - and they couldn't deliver it. And the moment they got the release - I picked it up.

Manufacturing issues could account for part of the delay - and government approval could also be an issue whenever Tesla makes changes significant enough to trigger a new review.

Lol. Def not software. Software they would still be producing a lot full of cars.

Less than likely not chip shortage. They'd still be producing one or two cars. Not zero.

Not gear selection. Regs don't have an issue with it.

My speculation is that they are hung up on the owners manual. Those things are tough to write.

People first complained that the Model S/X was getting long in the tooth and needed a refresh.
Now that there is inevitable delays, they are complaining that the wait for the new model is slow coming.

They routinely complain that Tesla rushes out their production and quality could be better. Now they are complaining that Tesla is taking the time necessary before releasing the new variant.

They complained when Tesla knocked off $10,000 from the prices of S/X. Complained that it devalued their existing cars.
Now they are complaining again that Tesla has raised prices by $10,000 for the newest version with many updates.

Guess we just need to get used to people complaining no matter what Tesla does :)

People first complained that the Model S/X was getting long in the tooth and needed a refresh.
Now that there is inevitable delays, they are complaining that the wait for the new model is slow coming.

They routinely complain that Tesla rushes out their production and quality could be better. Now they are complaining that Tesla is taking the time necessary before releasing the new variant.

They complained when Tesla knocked off $10,000 from the prices of S/X. Complained that it devalued their existing cars.
Now they are complaining again that Tesla has raised prices by $10,000 for the newest version with many updates.

Guess we just need to get used to people complaining no matter what Tesla does :)
I think people are complaining because they reserved a car that was said to be in production and being delivered starting late Feb. Now we're in late April with still no MS/MX coming off the line. The other things are just whatever. But people aren't complaining about the wait as much as the issue of transparency that there is an issue, any update, give us tidbits, show us something besides renders and rando sightings with pictures taken by people that have never used a camera before. That's the issue. And why there's complaining. Not even an unvailing of the new one. Elon is driving his around.

Like with Musk's projections of when new software will be released, this could be another example of Musk setting an overly aggressive schedule for getting the refreshed S/X into full production - only to be hit with the reality that it takes longer than he'd like to get everything ready for production [including government approval(s)].

Tesla typically never provides advanced notice of when they are going to introduce new hardware changes, avoiding the lower sales the other manufacturers see at the end of each model year. And they basically followed this practice with this time - providing little notice for a short pause in production - which is stretching into months.

For those customers with pending orders - you can either cancel your order or continue to be patient... If Tesla needs a little more time to get things right - hopefully with this additional time, they'll avoid going into production with obvious issues that will then need to be fixed after delivery.

Reactions: chachinggg
Like with Musk's projections of when new software will be released, this could be another example of Musk setting an overly aggressive schedule for getting the refreshed S/X into full production - only to be hit with the reality that it takes longer than he'd like to get everything ready for production [including government approval(s)].

Tesla typically never provides advanced notice of when they are going to introduce new hardware changes, avoiding the lower sales the other manufacturers see at the end of each model year. And they basically followed this practice with this time - providing little notice for a short pause in production - which is stretching into months.

For those customers with pending orders - you can either cancel your order or continue to be patient... If Tesla needs a little more time to get things right - hopefully with this additional time, they'll avoid going into production with obvious issues that will then need to be fixed after delivery.
I get so tired of TESLA apologists saying "just be patient" "Tesla needs time to get it right". First off, I highly doubt Tesla will "get it right" no matter how long they take, it will have the same build quality of every Tesla car ever produced. More importantly, nearly nobody cares how long it takes, we want communication!!! They said deliveries would start in Feb.. It's now April, TELL US SOMETHING.

I really should stop complaining that I bought a car that Tesla falsely said was in production and would be delivered in February but still isn’t actually in production, and that Tesla hasn’t sent me a single communication about when it actually intends to deliver my car.

Spare me the retort that making prototypes is “production.” We know that isn’t true based on Tesla’s use of the word “production car” in hyping the (undemonstrated) speed of its vehicles. (Fastest production car ever!!!)

Nobody should stop complaining, but I suppose that Elon is just as eager to get these cars produced and sold as customers are to take delivery. He has no incentive to delay the release of this new version.

Not quite sure that is 100% true

This is simply about Tesla's inexperience as a manufacturer of complex products, and failure to backfill that inexperience with professional management. You do not stop production of an existing line of products that will be supplanted by a new line until the replacement product is fully sorted, all the supply chain issues are fully lined up and in hand (warehoused), any backlog is dealt with, any design issues are solved and settled into the production/supply parameters. Only then do you push the go button, with a very clear cut-over process, which for major auto manufacturers entails a couple weeks of downtime. Logistics has never been a strong point for Tesla, but there is no excuse for this given the availability of capital and its ability to hire talent who know about doing such things. Further, these models are to be built on existing lines, do not require standing up effective new factories as was the case for the 3 and Y - heads should be rolling - this is what companies have boards for - accountability and responsibility. Teething was okay in 2021, 2013, and maybe during the 3 production hell. Not now. The capital markets have been flooding this company with financial resources for several years. There are no excuses.

This is simply about Tesla's inexperience as a manufacturer of complex products, and failure to backfill that inexperience with professional management. You do not stop production of an existing line of products that will be supplanted by a new line until the replacement product is fully sorted, all the supply chain issues are fully lined up and in hand (warehoused), any backlog is dealt with, any design issues are solved and settled into the production/supply parameters. Only then do you push the go button, with a very clear cut-over process, which for major auto manufacturers entails a couple weeks of downtime. Logistics has never been a strong point for Tesla, but there is no excuse for this given the availability of capital and its ability to hire talent who know about doing such things. Further, these models are to be built on existing lines, do not require standing up effective new factories as was the case for the 3 and Y - heads should be rolling - this is what companies have boards for - accountability and responsibility. Teething was okay in 2021, 2013, and maybe during the 3 production hell. Not now. The capital markets have been flooding this company with financial resources for several years. There are no excuses.

Agreed - poorly managed, Elon refuses to bring in people who know what they are doing and just let them do it - worst kind of "leadership"...if he had, their quality issues would have been fixed a couple of years ago, I suppose.

"Hey Elon - we could remove a couple of bolts to add a rain-sensing wiper to fix this buyer issue that many people complain about"

"No, the software will be good enough. Leave."

"Hey Elon - we could remove some weld and instead include auto high beam sensors that work."

"No, the software will be good enough. Leave."

The story of this company and it's products is, they are 2-3 cheap ass sensors away and a few emails to reservation holders from making most customers very happy.

Last edited: