Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new m3 that has a problem. When I set the speed limit control to 70 then engage auto pilot the max speed is then set to 65 even though the speed limit sign on the screen says 75. I then set the speed limit to 75 over the same stretch of road and the screen shows 70 as max speed. I called tesla and said to just say bug report and speed limit function not working correctly. I did but have no idea if tesla got the report. My question to y'all is, does anyone else have this problem? My software is 2019.12.1.2

No the limit on the left side of the screen. Can be reduce but can not be increased past the limit as stated above. I have checked the autopilot setting which shows relevant with zero adjustment. This something that developed in the last week but the tech seemed indifferent to that fact. I got the software upgraded right after in-flight the car, about a month ago. When th speed limit is not set so that chill is not in effect the speed limit on the left side of the screen in front of the car can be adjusted to any speed.

A week or so ago I was driving on a stretch of rural road where the speed limit was 55 but the display said the limit was 35. I couldn't turn on AutoPilot any faster than 40. I hit the mic button and said "Bug report. Speed limit on this road is not correct. Limit should be 55 not 35." A few days later the displayed speed limit showed 55! So someone at Tesla is listening.

The speed limits for all Model 3's are from Tesla's map data so they may be in error.

I'm not sure how you are setting the "speed limit control" and then engaging Autopilot. Are you using one press to engage Traffic Aware Cruise Control, setting the speed, and then pressing twice more to engage Autosteer? Autosteer will not operate above 5 MPH over the speed limit, though TACC will. This should be consistent with the speed limit sign on the display.

Normally TACC will start with the speed you are currently traveling when it is engaged. You can then adjust the speed with the right scroll wheel. That set speed should carry over when you additionally engage Autosteer, though it will be reduced to 5 MPH over what the car thinks the speed limit is if your set speed was higher.

A week or so ago I was driving on a stretch of rural road where the speed limit was 55 but the display said the limit was 35. I couldn't turn on AutoPilot any faster than 40. I hit the mic button and said "Bug report. Speed limit on this road is not correct. Limit should be 55 not 35." A few days later the displayed speed limit showed 55! So someone at Tesla is listening.
Wow. Well that's encouragement for me to submit bug reports on speed limit data, then. I run into this regularly.