Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed-limit sign reading coming “soon!”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is good news.

It'll be interesting how they handle school speed limit zones, where the limit drops substantially for about an hour twice each weekday for about 2/3rds of the year.

One good way to get handcuffed and put in the back seat of a police cruiser is to drive through a 25 mph school zone at 50 mph, just because the normal speed limit is 45mph.

I guess it depends on how the signage works in each area. Around here, the signage looks like a normal 25mph sign but with additional information below it listing the hours that the lower speed limit is active, or possibly saying "during school hours". It would be conceivable that a vision system could read the restricted hours and handle it accordingly. "During school hours" is obviously more difficult. Either way, I suspect the more likely result is that the car sees the 25mph sign and then obeys it, even though it may be during non-school hours.

Another difficult scenario are school zone signs that are accompanied by a "When Flashing" sign and flashers.

Sure it is, but it's at least a confirmation it's coming. And in Elon's defense, he's getting better about the "soon" comments in general.

Well, it is if he remembers.

Elon Musk on Twitter

That's from Dec 2019 where he said they can show side cameras and also says no problem to disable walk away lock at home.

Elon Musk on Twitter

That's today- where he says displaying side camera is harder than it sounds and he will check with engineering team... so apparently he forgot all about his December claim they could do it?

Elon Musk on Twitter

That's yesterday where he is ALSO asked about disabling walk away lock at home and says yes as if he had never heard the question before and hadn't already said they could do it almost 6 months ago.

Hardly the only examples, just the 2 most recent in the last 24 hours.

I mean- it's great he takes feedback this way- but he's pretty inconsistent about remembering what he agreed to or following through on it. Sometimes it's right the hell away- sometimes it's months- sometimes he forgets it ever came up.

Our 2015 Volvo XC60 does not use maps, but it's forward camera sees actual signs and image recognition software interprets speed limits. They display as a speed limit sign like Tesla, but also put a tick on the analog speed readout scale. This scheme works fairly well, but we have a local route 70, which often gets interpreted as a speed limit when it's actually 20-50 MPH. Route 85, however, does not, A scheme that fuses inputs from both maps and actual signs would be hard to fool.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Our 2015 Volvo XC60 does not use maps, but it's forward camera sees actual signs and image recognition software interprets speed limits. They display as a speed limit sign like Tesla, but also put a tick on the analog speed readout scale. This scheme works fairly well, but we have a local route 70, which often gets interpreted as a speed limit when it's actually 20-50 MPH. Route 85, however, does not, A scheme that fuses inputs from both maps and actual signs would be hard to fool.
It uses MobileEye and they have a patent on reading speed limit signs. Tesla is trying to do a workaround of the patent.

My BMW i3 would read Speed limit signs and display, along with a warning chime when over by a set amount. Many schools have signs that say 25 MPH, then below it would say “when flashing”, and a yellow light flashes during school time. The BMW always went off the posted sign, regardless of blinking yellow lights.

An interesting side note; in the weird state of Oregon (i live in Washington), where you can finally pump gas, they also have strange speed limit signs. Rather than having the phrase “SPEED LIMIT” with the numerals below, Oregon says “SPEED” then the numerals. The BMW was unable to decipher what those signs meant. So speed limit cameras for BMW did not work in Oregon. Seriously. Strange

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
If there was a “workaround” they would have done it long time ago. More likely they are now making a deal with mobileye - swapping patents or simply paying the licensing fee.
Elon has been silent on reading speed signs for long time so the fact he says “soon” likely means the deal with MobileEye is recently signed. So now just needs to be implemented - i hope .
But I cant help myself stating this simply brings Tesla up to what many other cars have had the past decade.