Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed sensitive power nerfing @ lower SOC after last update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam1

Sep 11, 2019
NV
Looks like they may have implemented a speed sensitive power nerfing metric based on your SOC below 20% now.

I just noticed when the car reached 19% SOC about 80mph, 4 dots popped up on the accelerator bar. Was off the highway a few minutes later below 45 and it was 3 dots. Slowed down at an intersection and all the dots disappeared. Launched it from a light and the car went normal but then fell on its face at about 45 or so and the dots were back.

previously the car didn’t seem to noticeably nerf power until below 10% SOC. Anyone else seeing this?

Looks like they may have implemented a speed sensitive power nerfing metric based on your SOC below 20% now.

I just noticed when the car reached 19% SOC about 80mph, 4 dots popped up on the accelerator bar. Was off the highway a few minutes later below 45 and it was 3 dots. Slowed down at an intersection and all the dots disappeared. Launched it from a light and the car went normal but then fell on its face at about 45 or so and the dots were back.

previously the car didn’t seem to noticeably nerf power until below 10% SOC. Anyone else seeing this?
I experience the same thing with my 2021 tm3p, feel like driving an SR+ when I pass 60km/h under 20% SOC

Reactions: Sam1
I experience the same thing with my 2021 tm3p, feel like driving an SR+ when I pass 60km/h under 20% SOC

Yeah, this was not a thing just 2 weeks ago. The car would obviously lose a little power around 20% or whatever because of a low SOC, but now you can physically feel the car being nerfed when you hit certain speeds at that same SOC.

This has been a thing for as long as I can remember, but you'll notice much easier in the cold.

It's not speed based. When you slowed down, you put energy back into the system and so it allowed slightly higher discharge. Vice versa when you accelerated again.

I know what you're trying to say with regen pumping power back into the battery, but this is not the case because I drove in circles and the dots came back depending on speed. If it was the case of regen, I would have more dots back at 16% SOC than I did at 19%, and that is the opposite of what happened. At first I thought this too, that's why I drove around in circles for a bit before hitting the charger. Also, my battery temp was 96 degrees when I stopped right after that (just got finished with a 100 mile drive).

Reactions: Marius A
You will lose power when the battery is cold enough, whatever the charge level. You will also lose power as the battery discharges because it can't provide as much peak power at lower SOC. Someone did dyno passes of an awd+ at various soc, you should check that out. Under 60-70kph you won't notice it until a fairy low soc. However at higher speeds you start to lose power at fairly high soc already.

Edit: and as others have said, this is not new.

Guess I’ll just wait until more people start experiencing this new issue, since it’s being assumed the concern is a typical power vs soc repost.

Or better yet, I’ll just run the power down in a day or two and chart the drop from a log.

depends on the voltage sag. If you floor it you get more dots. i would suspect on the highway you simply need more energy.

yeah, I’ve got all of that logged in 10% increments going from 0-90 or 100mph. I should’ve just logged these changes first and posted a graph before asking so people would understand I’m not asking simply about nerfing at lower soc % generically.