Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speeding Fine!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just received a speeding fine stating my speed was 35 MPH in a 30 zone. Checked TeslaFi which shows max speed for the journey was 31 MPH. Does anyone know the accuracy of the Tesla speed monitoring system?
I was under the impression that the police system allowed for a 10% discrepancy.
I’ve been given three options:
1) Pay £100 fine and get 3 points on your licence.
2) Attend a “National Speed Awareness Workshop”, pay a course fee, but no points on licence.
3) Dispute the alleged offence and attend a court hearing.

The easiest option for me is to attend the course, but if TeslaFi and the data that it’s handling is accurate then it’s an unjust accusation.
Any comments?

Checked TeslaFi which shows max speed for the journey was 31 MPH. Does anyone know the accuracy of the Tesla speed monitoring system?

Tesla in car speed display is pretty much spot on vs GPS speed on my phone.

The TeslaFi speeds are only point in time measurements, typically taken every minute or so. Max recorded speed for the journey could easily have been exceeded for a short period of time.

The 10% guideline - What is the "10%+2" rule and what does it mean? - Road Law Barristers

The easiest option for me is to attend the course, but if TeslaFi and the data that it’s handling is accurate then it’s an unjust accusation.
Any comments?

If it bothers you that much then let's consider the dispute:

So if it's true that you were only 1 MPH and not 5 MPH above the speed limit, it's still above speed limit. Is the penalty is lighter for 1 vs 5? If it’s the same, there's no point.

The judge may want to see the entire Teslafi log and not just the 31 MPH moment. If that log shows speeding in other parts of the log, I am not sure to open up a can of worms.

Take the course.
It's a simple fact that the speed limit is the speed limit. Any allowance over that is down to the policy of each police area whatever guidance may have been issued and only to allow for tolerances in system calibrations. If you were 'done' by a speed camera van parked in a lay-by then they are after maximising their revenue and you get zero allowance 'cos they want the course fee business...
Saying you were only doing 31 in a 30 limit is no defence.

Reactions: adsheff
IMO the way this would go in court is that the police would have to prove you were doing 35mph - the way they could do this is by showing the evidence they have (the speed camera log / picture whatever) PLUS the most recent certification of calibration. If you’re in luck the camera won’t have been calibrated recently and it becomes contestable/unreliable evidence.
The flip side to this is you probably don’t have a certificate of calibration for your car either, so it would quickly become a he said she said situation.

I’d love to hear how this played out but….

I know what I’d do - option 2 as stated above.

Most fixed devices are configured with a 2 mph tolerance, so 32.0 mph in a 30 mph will trigger a capture. TeslaFi recording 31 mph may be up to 31.99 mph with integer flooring, so there wouldn't have been a capture to begin with if that was the case, which makes it's maximum speed recording a tad suspect. Your own app logging shows the limit was broken anyway, so there's no contest available - other than questioning the calibration of the speed trap device.

Look at the refresh period on your Teslafi data. It's maybe every 20 secs on average and it's a snapshot of what the car was doing at the time.

You will never win claiming that the Teslafi data is superior to a calibrated speed camera.

Option 2 all day.

Reactions: robbo100
I had something similar when they got me for 55 in a ... well who knows tbh (in a Honda Civic too!)

I figured that was way faster than I was really going and I had an ace up my sleeve because I had a dashcam with GPS speed readouts, so I went home and watched the film

I joined the road at a sedately 30ish and because it was three lanes AND empty and there were some interesting geese flying in a perfect V overhead, I sort of accelerated a little too aggressively (m'lud)

Unfortunately the dashcam backed up their story, though I was able to see the geese again

I got a ticket up in the Lakes once

Cost me thirty five quid IIRC, just for the rental car company to notify me!

The good news is that I'd rented on my American license so the scuffers just threw the ticket in the bin and I never heard about it again

Reactions: Advocate
I’ve just received a speeding fine stating my speed was 35 MPH in a 30 zone. Checked TeslaFi which shows max speed for the journey was 31 MPH. Does anyone know the accuracy of the Tesla speed monitoring system?
I was under the impression that the police system allowed for a 10% discrepancy.
2) Attend a “National Speed Awareness Workshop”, pay a course fee, but no points on licence.

Any comments?

Any comments?
Where in Rugby,by the way ? Mobile speed camera ? Option two seems the only answer.

I've heard the speed awareness courses are actually very useful in brushing up on a few things.
Either way, you were doing 31 - you were clearly going over the speed limit. The limit is an upper limit, not a target. Aim to do 25mph in 30 zones and you'll be fine. The 5mph difference won't make any difference to how soon you get to your destination. In fact, driving a bit slower often gives you more room to react to obstructions up ahead, and means you get a higher average speed overall.