Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Screen Protector? Do I need one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MY for few months and wonder if I need a screen protector. One that caught my eye is

Spigen EZ Fit Anti-Glare Matte Tempered Glass Screen Protector

but I've seen some reviews that say that after installation, underside some conditions, due to the sunshine it is impossible to see anything on the screen. I wonder if anybody who's has that screen protector has had such experience? The product write up also claims that is helps with finger prints, is that the case?
But I also wonder if I need a screen protector at all. I have one on my iPhone and at least in once case it proved to be very useful. But the use case for my iPhone is very different from the screen on my MY.
I wonder what is the general option?

I have that protector in my M3, mainly because I wanted to reduce the reflectiveness of the screen (and of course having some protection from scratches is good). It also reduces fingerprints a bit and has a better surface for dragging & pinching, though you don't really do much of that on the car screen. It does have a bit of an issue with direct sunlight if it's very bright and coming in from the passenger side of the car, but not so much that it causes a problem IMO. It's quite rare to be on a dead straight section of road with the sun in the exact wrong position to be reflecting off the screen into your face, after all...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I went for the Spigen but when I went to fit it, realised the previous owner looks to have fitted the exact same thing, so now it's just sat in the cupboard as a spare just in case.

It does seem to disguise the finger prints well and decent job of reducing glare - we got lucky with a bit of sunshine this weekend round here.

Upvote 0
I have that protector in my M3, mainly because I wanted to reduce the reflectiveness of the screen (and of course having some protection from scratches is good). It also reduces fingerprints a bit and has a better surface for dragging & pinching, though you don't really do much of that on the car screen. It does have a bit of an issue with direct sunlight if it's very bright and coming in from the passenger side of the car, but not so much that it causes a problem IMO. It's quite rare to be on a dead straight section of road with the sun in the exact wrong position to be reflecting off the screen into your face, after all...
ditto what @Kansalis says for prints and glare. The texture does make it easier to move the fingers than on a shiny surface.

Upvote 0
Would definitely recommend the Spigen however after some research didn't go for the matte, went for the other one - Spigen EZ Fit Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Tesla Model 3 and Model Y

Main reason for getting it was to try and prevent scratches from things like zips etc. on kids bags and such like. It's been on since day one or two so can't really give a comparison, but have never felt there was a problem with glare or usability.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I was on the fence about a screen protector like you. I searched around for reports of busted or cracked screens and didn’t see much.
So I’m taking my chances and living dangerously without it.
I agree, for my purposes also its not for protection. I also have not cleaned mine in the years its been on, matte. Its probably loaded with finger prints but I just don't see them.

Reactions: Don.Church
Upvote 0
We went with one. As we were cleaning our old car for sale we noticed a large scratch on its touch screen. Thankfully it wasn't picked up when being inspected but we decided to get a screen protector for our Y as the screen is much larger and more exposed than on our old car (screen recessed so even harder to scratch in some ways than the Y)

Upvote 0
Would definitely recommend the Spigen however after some research didn't go for the matte, went for the other one - Spigen EZ Fit Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Tesla Model 3 and Model Y

Main reason for getting it was to try and prevent scratches from things like zips etc. on kids bags and such like. It's been on since day one or two so can't really give a comparison, but have never felt there was a problem with glare or usability.
I'll second this model. Have one of both our 3 and Y. Fit and forget. Affects nothing and might save you in the future from an accident?

You pay your money and make your choice, it's an insurance but no guarantees!

But for me I would always fit one on such a large screen too easy to catch and so prominent.

Upvote 0
I've had my MY for few months and wonder if I need a screen protector. One that caught my eye is

Spigen EZ Fit Anti-Glare Matte Tempered Glass Screen Protector

but I've seen some reviews that say that after installation, underside some conditions, due to the sunshine it is impossible to see anything on the screen. I wonder if anybody who's has that screen protector has had such experience? The product write up also claims that is helps with finger prints, is that the case?
But I also wonder if I need a screen protector at all. I have one on my iPhone and at least in once case it proved to be very useful. But the use case for my iPhone is very different from the screen on my MY.
I wonder what is the general option?
Just purchased one - awaiting arrival of MY to fit (hopefully next week). The Matt version is only one available here in Oz - mainly due to harsh sun ☀️and anti-reflection properties it promotes.

• Informative
Upvote 0
I have the Spigen too - I also had one on my last M3. From a visibility viewpoint, I don't really think about it which, presumably, means it's doing its job. As far as protection, I guess it's like insurance, you hope you never have to use it but it gives you peace of mind to have it. They're under 40€ here from Amazon so no brainer for me.

Upvote 0
White interior benefits from an anti-glare screen protector, I had a white loaner for a while without one and I saw a lot of seats in the screen most of the time.

I have black interior and don't need one. No one driving wears rings etc so the chance of damage seems pretty low. In 3.5 years I've not had a problem.

My phone goes in pockets with keys etc. gets dropped and so on, so it seems worth it to avoid scratches on the glass.

Upvote 0
I fitted one very early into ownership. I didn't get a matte one because I was concerned about losing screen clarity, but to be honest I've not seen a matte one in person to compare. Would agree with the above that the white interior does get picked up more in the reflections.

For me it was more of "do I want to risk any damage to an expensive, highly visual component when I could just spend £20 to avoid it". I'm pretty risk averse anyway when it comes to stuff like this, I put screen protectors on my phones, etc and they've saved me more than once.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
Upvote 0