Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Screen Protector? Do I need one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MY for few months and wonder if I need a screen protector. One that caught my eye is

Spigen EZ Fit Anti-Glare Matte Tempered Glass Screen Protector

but I've seen some reviews that say that after installation, underside some conditions, due to the sunshine it is impossible to see anything on the screen. I wonder if anybody who's has that screen protector has had such experience? The product write up also claims that is helps with finger prints, is that the case?
But I also wonder if I need a screen protector at all. I have one on my iPhone and at least in once case it proved to be very useful. But the use case for my iPhone is very different from the screen on my MY.
I wonder what is the general option?

We installed one pretty much from day one. Unfortunately a few months later a crack appeared at the lower edge of the screen that in the heat of summer extended to the top. It looks as though we caught the lower screen edge, presumably when putting phone on or off the wireless charger.

In our case it didn’t stop the crack, but it remains stable and isn’t getting caught by our fingers so is still a benefit I think.

Upvote 0
I also have the matte finish version. Isn’t as reflective as my glass finish phone screen and quite like it.

Did I need it? Don’t know, probably not. But as I say I have similar glass protectors on my phone and since putting them on have broken 3-4 of them - never smashed a screen since. The M3 screen is probably far more expensive thus worth the protection it offers - however limited it may be.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I got a MY 4 days ago and when I got in the first thing I noticed was that the screen was very hot, to the point that it was uncomfortable using the screen to go around the menu to adjust my mirrors, setup bluetooth, etc. Granted, the car had been sitting out in the sun at the Tesla facility waiting for me to pick it up but it still gives be concern if a screen protector would actually make the issue worse and if the additional insulation for the screen could lead to damage.

Additionally would that potential damage then not be covered under warranty because the screen protector could be considered a contributing factor?

For context, I live in South Florida and the sunlight & heat can be really intense for most of the year.

For those of yo with a screen protector, do you remember any change in how hot it would seem to get compared to before installing the screen protector?

Upvote 0
I don't use any screen protector. I don't think it's needed. We will never drop a Tesla touchscreen like dropping a laptop or a cell phone.
In my experience, glass on home windows lasts longer than the window frame. Glass on home or office computer monitors lasts longer than the monitors. Tesla touchscreen glass probably lasts longer than the electronic parts in the touchscreen.

Any add on to the touchscreen will make the screen lose originality, clarity, and sensitivity.
I use a towel to cover it to avoid direct sunlight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't use any screen protector. I don't think it's needed. We will never drop a Tesla touchscreen like dropping a laptop or a cell phone.
In my experience, glass on home windows lasts longer than the window frame. Tesla touchscreen glass probably lasts longer than the electronic parts in the touchscreen.
I was thinking the same until cleaning up Mrs McChimps old car for sale and noticed a big scratch on the tpuchscreen. We both had no idea how we managed it as it felt like the screen wouldn't ever get accidentally scratched based on where it was positioned in dash . So for the sake of £30 (can't remember exactly) we decided to protect the model Y screen. As the next scratch could be a lot more noticeable and annoying.

Upvote 0
Get the Spigen. It's dead easy to install and does a great job protecting the screen. We have the matte screen on both my husband and my Y's and we like it You may have to turn the brightness up a little, but that's a small price to pay for this excellent screen. For what it's worth, I have the same screen on my 3 year old iPhone and there's not a scratch on it.

Reactions: Durzel
Upvote 0
In my experience, glass on home windows lasts longer than the window frame. Glass on home or office computer monitors lasts longer than the monitors. Tesla touchscreen glass probably lasts longer than the electronic parts in the touchscreen.

Any add on to the touchscreen will make the screen lose originality, clarity, and sensitivity.
I use a towel to cover it to avoid direct sunlight.
Sounds, like me, you don't wear rings or bangles or bracelets...or have long nails. Apparently, some people do. They tend to leave their mark on the screen and around door handles.
I have a matte Spigen, as I did on my first M3.
I haven't noticed any clarity or sensitivity issues.

Upvote 0
I've had my MY for few months and wonder if I need a screen protector. One that caught my eye is

Spigen EZ Fit Anti-Glare Matte Tempered Glass Screen Protector

but I've seen some reviews that say that after installation, underside some conditions, due to the sunshine it is impossible to see anything on the screen. I wonder if anybody who's has that screen protector has had such experience? The product write up also claims that is helps with finger prints, is that the case?
But I also wonder if I need a screen protector at all. I have one on my iPhone and at least in once case it proved to be very useful. But the use case for my iPhone is very different from the screen on my MY.
I wonder what is the general option?
Hello,

It's great that you're considering the protection of your Model Y's screen. When it comes to screen protectors, there are a few factors to consider:

Sunlight and Visibility: Some anti-glare screen protectors are designed to reduce glare and improve visibility in bright sunlight. However, there can be variations in their effectiveness. It's a good idea to check user reviews to see if users have experienced issues with visibility in direct sunlight.

Fingerprint Resistance: Many screen protectors claim to be fingerprint-resistant. This can be beneficial, as it keeps your screen looking clean and reduces the need for frequent cleaning. Again, user reviews can provide insights into how well a specific protector performs in this regard.

Screen Protection: While the Tesla Model Y's screen is durable, it's not immune to scratches and scuffs. A screen protector can add an extra layer of protection against everyday wear and tear.

Usage: Consider how you use your Model Y's screen. If you frequently interact with it or use it for navigation and entertainment, a screen protector might be a good investment to preserve its clarity.

Personal Preference: Some people prefer the added peace of mind that a screen protector provides, while others are comfortable without one. It ultimately comes down to your personal preference and how you use your vehicle.

If you're interested in exploring screen protector options further, you can check out the matte screen protector on Tesery's website. It's always a good idea to choose a reputable source for accessories like screen protectors.

Click link to know more Tesery Tesla Screen Protector

Upvote 0
If you're interested in exploring screen protector options further, you can check out the matte screen protector on Tesery's website. It's always a good idea to choose a reputable source for accessories like screen protectors.

We got ours from Abstract Ocean. No need to change any settings (no noticeable change in brightness of clarity - I use to work in broadcast TV graphics so these things are important to me) and the only reason why you would know it was fitted there was that sun reflection is very diffuse so does not inhibit the ability to still see the screen clearly. It also much reduces the impact of finger prints which only show as a slight smearing - easy to clean but you don't really notice them if you don't clean so regularly.

Upvote 0
I fitted a screen protector on my M3P very soon after getting it, in an abundance of caution. I thought it might possibly be a waste of time, for the reasons mentioned (it doesn't move, you can't drop it, etc), but given the screen costs a lot and a screen protector doesn't, I figured it was worth doing.

Since fitting the protector I have absent mindedly caught both my ring and my phone on the edge of the screen. Neither incident cracked the screen or the protector, but I'm glad I fitted it.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Upvote 0
Sounds, like me, you don't wear rings or bangles or bracelets...or have long nails. Apparently, some people do. They tend to leave their mark on the screen and around door handles.
I have a matte Spigen, as I did on my first M3.
I haven't noticed any clarity or sensitivity issues.
Yes. Personal experience matters. I will remember to clip my fingernails often. :)

Upvote 0
I got a MY 4 days ago and when I got in the first thing I noticed was that the screen was very hot, to the point that it was uncomfortable using the screen to go around the menu to adjust my mirrors, setup bluetooth, etc. Granted, the car had been sitting out in the sun at the Tesla facility waiting for me to pick it up but it still gives be concern if a screen protector would actually make the issue worse and if the additional insulation for the screen could lead to damage.

Additionally would that potential damage then not be covered under warranty because the screen protector could be considered a contributing factor?

For context, I live in South Florida and the sunlight & heat can be really intense for most of the year.

For those of yo with a screen protector, do you remember any change in how hot it would seem to get compared to before installing the screen protector?
I can see your concern though the insulation effect would be very small. Someone on the forum had a huge issue with Tesla after having attached something to the back of the screen when asking for a warranty repair to a screen crack. However, I don't recall anyone reporting a similar issue with a screen protector. From my own point of view I have never used one or felt the need for one.

I've never noticed my screen being hot. But I live in Scotland so heat from the sun is rarely a factor for me.

It very much depends on how you are parked in relation to sun direction. Even when not particularly hot outside the screen can get too hot to touch comfortably on the back of the screen and the heat can be felt very noticeably on the front ... even in Scotland! I use a lightweight internal windscreen reflector on some days because my normal parking position at home gets the sun directly from the front in the afternoon. Clearly this approach isn't essential otherwise we would be hearing of more screen failures than we do but I'm now beyond warranty with the car and always planned to try and make it last!

Upvote 0