Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spontaneous MCU reboot (while driving)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the title pretty much says it all. I was driving in to work this morning, listening to tunes and relaxed behind the wheel when my MCU went black and after a few seconds started to reboot. I did absolutely nothing to initiate this reboot! On the bright side, other than loosing the information that was displaying on the MCU, there was absolutely no problems driving the car. Even the music never stopped playing. After the reboot all was restored as it was before. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to why it might have happened or what it might indicate? Did the mother ship do this by accident?

S 100D delivered on June 6, 2018 so probably MCU2, definitely AP2.5.

Reactions: markn455
Yes - probably 4 times in 15 months, including twice in the last month. I understand it is a different system from AP and both are different from drive controller. Harmless and better than a MSFT blue screen of death.

So I, too, was recently upgraded to 2019.5.16 and this was the first time I experienced such a spontaneous re-boot. Might be a coincidence, might be related to the upgrade. I guess I'll have to wait and see if, and how often, it re-occurs though I suspect (hope) that I get upgraded to 2019.9 (or one of its children) soon, since I would *really* like to get sentry mode and NoA without stalk confirmation. At least if it happens again my blood pressure shouldn't rise as much as it did today!

So the title pretty much says it all. I was driving in to work this morning, listening to tunes and relaxed behind the wheel when my MCU went black and after a few seconds started to reboot. I did absolutely nothing to initiate this reboot! On the bright side, other than loosing the information that was displaying on the MCU, there was absolutely no problems driving the car. Even the music never stopped playing. After the reboot all was restored as it was before. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to why it might have happened or what it might indicate? Did the mother ship do this by accident?

S 100D delivered on June 6, 2018 so probably MCU2, definitely AP2.5.

I've experienced this a few times over my two years of ownership, and I've read that a non-trivial amount of owners have experienced it at least once during their span of ownership.