Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spontaneously Cracked Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my cracked glass above the left FWD. When I took it to the SC, they brought out a platform and we carefully inspected the cracking. Sure enough, there was an impact point where a big chip was missing. I must have taken a rock at just the right angle. They fixed it in an hour and did a really nice job. $1280 out of my pocket. I won't file insurance for this, not worth the 3 years of increased rates across my 3 vehicles.
IMO glass does not affect your rates! You should have filed a claim.

The rates themselves do not change, but you lose the Claim Free discount if you have one. Depending on how many vehicles you have covered, it can be significant. It is usually for three years.
Exactly! I work in the insurance industry, but on the commercial side. Heck, one of those stupid "we repair chips free" places that bills your insurance $75 will jack you rates when you lose the claim free discount. I'll pay out of pocket.

I just had a random crack while parked in my office parking lot similar to the OP where you can clearly see it from the inside, but nothing really from the exterior. Crack squiggles from either side of the camera area. Took the car to the SC the next morning and since there was no sign of impact they are replacing it under warranty. Service Manager said this was the first time he saw this happen, but I let him know it seems to be a common occurrence on the forums. I will say that this is not isolated to Tesla. My assistant's car did the same thing while parked in the parking lot and she drives a Chevy Equinox. I am just glad that it wasn't much hassle to get it covered....wish they'd replace the tint too....

Reactions: Smh2210 and geordi