TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sport vs Insane on P85D

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Boeing777, Dec 29, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Boeing777

Boeing777 Member

Sorry folks...I'm sure that this has been broached on another thread, but I've looked... honest. Anyway, does anyone know what the Insane mode does? (Other than flattening our faces) I know it enables 0-60 in 3.2, but why shouldn't I just leave it there? If I don't need the hole shot, I just won't summon it with my right foot. Is the range affected if I just leave it in the Insane mode (so I don't have to scramble when the cocky Mustang driver thinks he can take me at a light). Does it program the power curve? Change the front/rear power ratio? In case I haven't made this clear... Is the range affected by the Sport/Insane switch if I drive the car identically in both modes?

2. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I think it's more a question of whether you need Insane Mode for everyday driving. Some people might want to keep the car in Sport Mode normally, potentially for safety reasons.

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Is efficiency or range affected by insane versus sport versus everything else?

4. commasign

commasign Active Member

Will torque sleep be used in insane and/or sport modes? Or just normal mode?

5. Txy

Txy Member

Question that will probably be answered when the update is released. My guess would be torque sleep would be active in all modes, as the time needed to "wake up" a motor is so small that it would be virtually unnoticeable to the driver.

6. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Interesting questions. A car magazine here in Norway suggested a power limited mode "for safety in the winter". My though was: that's what the right foot is for.

7. Vitaman

Vitaman Member

Have wondered this many times in 1 week of ownership.
    The difference in acceleration is not so dramatic to me.
    Are you using less battery going all out in Sport versus going almost all out in Insane?
    My gut says there is not a lot of difference but would like validation.

8. Jason

Jason Member

I also agree on 'that's what the right foot is for'
    the primary driver of car does not need any settings - all should be part of pushing on pedal, software can be set to accommodate based on load and amount of pedal press. Of course flat on floor is both motors all out!

that said, would like a setting (with password) - to reduce power for others, like valet, daughter, etc...

9. Boeing777

Boeing777 Member

So far, no real answers to my initial post,..just more questions. Only my wife and I drive the car, and my view is that acceleration safety is a matter of pedal pressure. In fact, I would never use a setting that simply limits available power to save ourselves from...ahem...ourselves.

If we don't do any Insane launches, does using the Insane mode vs Sport costs me range? Does anyone know?

10. Vger

Vger Active Member

Not really an answer either, but... as I posted in another thread, I think it is entirely possible that they put in the switch just so they could have a mode called "Insane."

Marketing genius.

11. commasign

commasign Active Member

12. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

3.2 vs 4.0 sec to 60 MPH per DragTimes testing.

Edit: Missed it by that much:)

13. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

I just did a 1300 mile road trip in my P85D and experimented with various settings. As far as I can tell, cruise control @ 65 MPH with AC set to 70F (in florida), with fan speed on low after car has already reached this temperature, uses exactly the same WH/Mile in Sport+Range mode as Insane mode. Sport mode just seems to limit the maximum power, and Range seems to just limit the maximum fan speed. If you are capable of setting the temperature reasonably, and controlling your right foot, it seems there is no reason to take it out of Insane mode.

14. commasign

commasign Active Member

Do you guys think sport vs insane mode has different throttle response (i.e. have to push harder in sport mode to achieve same power output), or just a cap at the top for sport mode?

15. Bighorn

Bighorn Member

#15 Bighorn, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  16. Boeing777

Boeing777 Member

Thanks Random,

Thats exactly the kind of empirical data I was hoping for. I'll leave it in Insane in case a CTS-V gets frisky at a light.

17. skilly

skilly Member

I agree - I was looking for that too. One small point on the overview - range mode isnt a selectable option unless you are in sport mode.