Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify: it works then freezes and the music stops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All...

Im still fairly new to this and the Model 3 I have but....

Can anyone help with Spotify.... Tesla Account - It works then freezes and the music stops - as if its lost reception to receive music - this happens a lot. Is it possible to reset? - I normally switch to radio for the remainder of my journey then when I have parked, left and returned it works correctly for another short period?

Is this just something I have to accept? It is quite annoying.

With that aside I am very pleased with the car so far...

Spotify is fairly new to those of us in the US with v10 software. I've had the issue with Spotify freezing and if you switch sources and then come back, things work normally for a while.

I've gotten to the point of just going back to my phone and using Bluetooth music for Spotify for this reason. Hopefully newer software releases will address this and make Spotify in-car more usable without the "permanent pause" issue.

It's possible to reset the display while driving (hold both steering wheel buttons down until it goes black) which is perfectly safe except for the fact you no longer have a speedometer for about 30 seconds. This will correct the issue.

Otherwise, yeah, Spotify in a Tesla is really buggy. Other countries that have had it for much longer than North America have said it's always been this way and hasn't improved. Loosing reception does seem to trigger it, which happens frequently where I drive and makes Spotify more or less unusable (it locks up the ability to use Bluetooth as well until it is restarted).

For what it's worth, you'll get better audio quality with Spotify over Bluetooth from your phone (assuming you have it set to use higher quality).

I've only had the car for a few weeks, but my experience is similar.
Spotify is quite unstable and lacking in functionality.

Sometimes it will only play if I manually select a song and then just keeps "loading" when it should play the next one, sometimes the next song looks like it's playing but no sound is produced.

After a reboot, it sometimes refuses to sign me in for about half an hour.

I play spotify through bluetooth from my phone now - you can use the next and previous buttons as well, and you shouldn't be fiddling with it any more beyond that while driving anyway.

Let's hope this gets fixed now that it rolled out in the U.S.A.