Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Square vs staggered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am running Michelin PS4S 295/35/20 all around and they work great. Don't know what I am going to run for the winter yet as still well above freezing. May not bother with it for the 1 month or so it is cold enough to need something other than summer tires. Likely I'll just drive the 3 with the all seasons it has and park the S for a while.

You're welcome! (And also great choice going with the Martian MW05s. While I'm sticking with the stock 19s on my LR, the MW05 is my favorite aftermarket wheel.)

I think the website is correct in stating that 295s would work with a stock MS clearance wise. Just more of a question of aesthetics.

Went on the Martian Wheels website and found a picture of a MS Plaid with 20 x 11.5" wheels and 315 mm tires. Pretty sure they rolled the fenders on this car but the bottom of the front bumper (by the fog light) should be a good point of reference:

View attachment 957544

One more thing is efficiency. Less contact area in the rear with 265s should yield lower wh/mi assuming that the MW05s don't significantly increase the drag coefficient. Running 295s square should increase wh/mi consumption. Not sure what the magnitude of the increase will be though.
I know this was posted a long time ago but… you don’t need to roll anything to fit a 295 on a 10.5 up front.

i'm planning on trading my 21" staggered for some factory 19" setup, with the intention of going square 245 or 255 all around on the 19s. my questions center on special considerations? this is for a P85+. i'm curious about
1. can I just swap for someone else's factory set of wheels?
2. to do 255 all around, will that fit on factory 19"s?
3. are the hubs different for the P85+ and require spacers?
4. etc

Thank you!

One more data point on square setup.
Switched from 21" Arachnids (plan to sale them)
Swtched to: 20x10" ET35. Tires 285/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4.

I read all threads and still was not sure what combo is working the best for plaid & med+ driving (no track/strip)
Thanks to @Muzzman1 who clarified lots questions, appreciate that !

I went with 285/35 because final diameter of wheel will be very close to original. Front got wider +20, rear narrow -10, in total contact area is +10, so efficiency will down, grip - down, staring - down. A little. But comfort of driving increased substantially, my family spotted that immediately.
Yeah, noice if Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 on speed is higher, but not bothering.
After driving 100 miles, there is no doubt PS4S is superior tires. But I intentionally installed AS 4 for higher threadwear.

2c

Reactions: Muzzman1
One more data point on square setup.
Switched from 21" Arachnids (plan to sale them)
Swtched to: 20x10" ET35. Tires 285/35/20 Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4.

I read all threads and still was not sure what combo is working the best for plaid & med+ driving (no track/strip)
Thanks to @Muzzman1 who clarified lots questions, appreciate that !

I went with 285/35 because final diameter of wheel will be very close to original. Front got wider +20, rear narrow -10, in total contact area is +10, so efficiency will down, grip - down, staring - down. A little. But comfort of driving increased substantially, my family spotted that immediately.
Yeah, noice if Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 on speed is higher, but not bothering.
After driving 100 miles, there is no doubt PS4S is superior tires. But I intentionally installed AS 4 for higher threadwear.

2c
I'm going for 285/35/20 PS 4S square also. I got 20x10.5+40 forged wheels on a track package CCB.
I'm waiting for my tires to arrive. I do drag, roll and compete on 1/2-mile events a lot, let's see...

Reactions: dev_lvl80
I'm going for 285/35/20 PS 4S square also. I got 20x10.5+40 forged wheels on a track package CCB.
I'm waiting for my tires to arrive. I do drag, roll and compete on 1/2-mile events a lot, let's see...
A bit info on PS4 AS.
I had 20k miles in OEM PS4S. 21", they were not so comfortable, but handling were fantastic!

PS4 AS:
I'm impressed with ride quality on 285/35/20 All Seasons. Much softer which is immediately noticeable. All passenger told same - it's comfortable to ride. I put already 4xx miles on then and still under impression.
I'm not sure what contribute into ride quality, new forged rims or/and tires.
No doubts, handling slightly worse, but grip in wet conditions (Socal has rains these days) - is better than PS4S. I had no wheels spins, but I remember how exactly PS4S worked in the same conditions.

Everything ^^ is subjectively.