Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Audio Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sound is very personal thing, and it all depends on what you are after.

I listen to mainly vocal/instrumental stuff so when upgrading the base audio in our X I looked into speaker upgrades rather than the sub, as I found the bass response already pretty good even without an additional subwoofer.

I originally ordered some fancy speakers which had been apparently developed for the S/X, at $500 each they weren't cheap but after waiting 2 month for delivery and radio silence from the vendor I had to call up Amex to get a refund from them - It the only time ever in my life I had to contact a credit card company to get my cash back.

I than went to a local audio installer, they had never worked on a X but had worked on a S so were happy to help. I ended up paying about £350 to get both front speakers replaced by some great Focal units.

The sound is now fantastic, I would say its on par with an amplified home HiFi setup, its certainly good enough for me to not worry about adding in a Sub or replacing the centeal front speaker.

I listen to mainly vocal/instrumental stuff so when upgrading the base audio in our X I looked into speaker upgrades rather than the sub, as I found the bass response already pretty good even without an additional subwoofer.

I originally ordered some fancy speakers which had been apparently developed for the S/X, at $500 each they weren't cheap but after waiting 2 month for delivery and radio silence from the vendor I had to call up Amex to get a refund from them - It the only time ever in my life I had to contact a credit card company to get my cash back.

I than went to a local audio installer, they had never worked on a X but had worked on a S so were happy to help. I ended up paying about £350 to get both front speakers replaced by some great Focal units.

The sound is now fantastic, I would say its on par with an amplified home HiFi setup, its certainly good enough for me to not worry about adding in a Sub or replacing the centeal front speaker.
Good to hear. Id like more bass and a general improvement if possible.

C947678B-26B6-4C2F-9226-6AB2BC83BF86.jpeg
This is what a UK SR+ looks like

Reactions: Roy W.

I’d like to hear more from you regarding your long term happiness with your new speakers

I am considering just upgrading my front speakers on my Model Y. And adding a sub amp and upgrading my sub.

so I would upgrade tweeter/miss/bass up front And add the sub

would love input from anyone who has done this

Miyagi

Hi,

What are the practical options for upgrading the audio to something like the LR model etc? Doesn't have to be official but has anyone paid someone to add a subwoofer etc?
I upgraded 2 (left & right) of my front 4inch mid range speakers (there are 3 at the front that work in all M3 versions) and used Audison APX 4 speakers.

I downloaded some speaker brackets and got them 3d printed (ebay has a few people that do this for a smallish fee - think it was around £6 per bracket) - link to speaker brackets here - Audioliphe at the bottom of the first page. Also you will need to sand the print to make it a few mill bigger for the Audison speaker.

I also bought 2 pig tails from AO (Abstract Ocean) and adapted them to fit the speaker (the lights Pig tail fitting is the same one as the speaker fitting)

As @gangzoom mentioned, sound is a personal thing. However the small upgrade i did seems to have made things sound more crisp/clearer (Highs and Mids). Also because of this it gives it more bass (Placebo effect maybe?)

Last edited:
I’d like to hear more from you regarding your long term happiness with your new speakers

I love them, I was in a loaner 2018 X yesterday with 'premium' audio whilst mine was getting the AP3 upgrade, I have to say the only thing the 'premium' audio sounds better than my car with base audio + Focal speakers is low base tracks. You can tell the difference between a system with a dedicated subwoofer and one without. However I don't listen to much base at all, and for focal tracks the 'premium' system sounds very plain compared to decent aftermarket systems.