Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously guys $300 installed with programming is a bargain.

Go with any other manufacturer it is $100 plus plus an hour to install and the unit would be way more expensive and only be at best a button on a mirror (that works when the car is off on most cars! Making it easy to break into the car and open your garage)

If you want to save money just use a remote...

Their website says different. For example i'll quote from their FAQ:
Yea, sorry I re-read my post and it is misleading. What I mean to say is that you don't have to open the app on your phone (or even have it active in the background) for the auto-open and auto-close to work with the Tailwind hardware. It is hands-free, just like the homelink. I have this setup and it works amazingly well. It actually integrates with smart homes quite nicely, and integrates with Google Home, IFTT, and Siri if you're an iOS user.

FYI, if you have an iPhone you must buy the Tailwind kit that costs $10 more, that includes a bluetooth module you leave in your glovebox.

Reactions: PhantmMenace
I highly recommend Tailwind. I have an iPhone so needed the extra puck sensors but at least I can extend automatic opening and closing to my wife’s car. So far it has been an excellent product.

After going back and forth on a few options I settled on tailwind. I also have an iPhone and confirmed with the company that if you use an iPhone you MUST have the bluetooth module, if you want auto open/close. I've been using it for a few days now and it's worked as advertised. (I know it closes successfully after I leave because I enabled notifications via the app, so when I'm about a block or so away the notification always pops up on my phone that the door was closed)

Reactions: PhantmMenace
7AD58787-E0B3-4F26-98E5-E572177C471A.jpeg

Got mine installed a few days ago, works great as long as your bumper is facing the garage door. Since I back into the garage, as I leave forward the garage the sensor inside the front bumper is facing away from the garage door, it won’t close the door as it doesn’t see the signal so I have to manually close it myself by pressing on the Homelink button. When i pull in and it sees me 100 feet away, it opens fine. If I pull in normally front in first and then later back out, it closes fine after 20 feet away.

Fred

I got mine installed on Monday. Tesla installer came to my home. Very pleasant guy. The only slight issue is he came thinking I had the homelink module for him to install not realizing that the Tesla shop shipped the part directly to the service center. He had a courier bring the part over while he took apart my bumper so it really didn't delay things too much. So far the homelink works pretty well! I like the fact I'm been able flex my SR+ package closer to the premium package. I just hope we get offered the opportunity to upgrade to premium connectivity from standard.

Reactions: omkar and GazUK67
This was the problem, LED light that’s was on the Marantec 270 Garage door opener, this caused so much interference that when leaving the door would not work or close behind me, I manually turn off the LED at the Control panel and it worked, message comes up immediately saying Door will close in 30 feet, and it does. Arriving and Departing, works 100%.. doesn’t matter which way you park your car. I yanked the LED light and put it away. Love the Homelink.

Fred

ACD9726A-F5A0-4D07-B874-C89A84925663.jpeg

I have a hard time justifying the cost, but hated having to look around the center console around for my garage door opener. I found that a $30 keychain remote like this one fits perfectly behind the bottom center part of the touchscreen where it can't be seen. When I want to open the garage, I just reach behind the screen and push the remote.

Reactions: Curb71
Got tailwind after reading this thread. I’d never even heard of it before. Thanks!

Wow, it’s incredible. Everything now is totally automatic. The major advantage over the Tesla kit is tailwind knows if your garage is up or down. That is really nice to have. The auto up/ down is also pretty sweet.

I've been on the fence about paying $300 for this. I prefer the feature where I can check on and close my garage door from anywhere in case I forget to close it to be more important than it opening/closing automatically. I noticed the MyQ dropped down to $50 on Amazon and got that instead. Installation was a breeze and it works great. The one the shady part is they charge a dollar a month or $10 per year for Google Assistant use however it's still won't open the garage door via voice command because of "security reasons". I simply open the garage when I'm a block away from home via the app.