Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ name dropped, now just “Model 3” and listed range increased

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
psst, whisper it, but you can charge to 100% in an LR.
plus they are all WLTP ratings, which means you won't actually get 305 miles (or 360 for LR), but would assume a real world range of say 300 for LR and 240/250 for updated standard model (assuming both are at 100% charge). Looking at it from an efficiency point, I cant imagine one is more efficient than the other (on a wh/m basis) so purely comes down to battery size irrelevant of whether you should charge to 100% or not, as you said, you can charge an LR to 100% if needed, its just recommended not to every time.

plus they are all WLTP ratings, which means you won't actually get 305 miles (or 360 for LR), but would assume a real world range of say 300 for LR and 240/250 for updated standard model (assuming both are at 100% charge). Looking at it from an efficiency point, I cant imagine one is more efficient than the other (on a wh/m basis) so purely comes down to battery size irrelevant of whether you should charge to 100% or not, as you said, you can charge an LR to 100% if needed, its just recommended not to every time.

I think the SR+ has always been more efficient? Certainly by Bjorn's videos/tests.

Going by your figures above:

If the LR has a 77kwh battery then with a range of 300, that's 3.89 miles per KW.
If the new SR+ or "Model 3" has a 60kwh battery then with a range of 250, that's 4.16 miles per KW.

Right! UPDATE! A bit more clarity, if you can call it that?! haha.

Managed to speak to the same very helpful Tesla CS agent that sorted my order for me last week.

She has stated the below, after getting confirmation today from "head office":
  • If you are already matched with a car, then your SR+ will come with the 278 range, and 5.3sec 0-60. Regardless of what your vin letter/number may say.
  • If you are not yet matched with a car, but you ordered before the 2nd November, then your car will have just been built and getting ready to be put on the next ship. These SR+ cars will come with the 305mile range and 5.6sec 0-60.
  • If you order from today, then you get the advertised Model 3 with 305 range and 5.8sec 0-60.

Thanks for this, but it doesn't quite match the matched 383 VIN in Germany which has the 60kwh battery according to the CO paperwork.
Don't know? I'm just relaying the message from Tesla.

What is interesting is, people are quoting the 8th character "J" in the VIN code and relating it to the new battery pack/motor, etc. My VIN has that same "J".

And yet, with the flurry of new VINs that have been allocated today, people have been quoting that they have an "A" instead?

I guess what will be, will be...

Reactions: Limey
I pay more attention to Whr/mile than the shown range.
After 6 months my LR AWD has averaged 248 whr/mile. The actual range depends on the nominal Kwh rating of the battery and state of charge.
I stick to a low of 10% and a high of 85%, so 75% of nominal battery... whatever that really is!!
I work on a realistic range of 260 miles. But if I could charge to 100% every night that would increase my realistic range by 15%.... significant.

Unlike an ICE car "fuel" capacity is not defined by the size of the tank as regenerative braking so range is a variable feast that depends on how, where and when you drive. This means all published range statements are only an estimate of a general indication and make comparison between different EVs even less easy than with different ICE cars.

On my i3s if I had a period of spirited driving the next time on charge the max range could go as low as 120miles on a full charge. When I drove it on eco pro or eco pro plus i have seen the range at next full charge “rocket” to 185miles.

Isn’t Tesla the same? The max range being dependent on your previous driving style and behaviours?

I’m sure it’s a very complex algorithm which explains the variations that some report.