Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Purchasing Doubts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See, now mine changed. Charging my car right now and full charge is showing 224 miles. Went up 11 miles on the guessometer from just a few hours ago

On EV's, numbers for range are never accurate. That's why I use the battery percentage and never have any worries

Like most on here, I do not have infinite financial resources.

I would love a long-range car. Heck, I would love a Model X for that matter. But the additional financial strain I would go through coming up with another $10,000 is NOWHERE close to the occasional range anxiety I get with my SR +. 95% of the time it's no issue at all, and the remaining 5% just requires a little planning.

After almost a year and 16,000 miles, I am confident I picked the right car. Being comfortable financially is far more important than the rare occasion I could bypass a supercharger with the long-range model.

Chicago here. Not quite as cold as Minnesota. I initially went in thinking LR AWD MOdel 3 b/c of AWD and the extended range. I went with the standard 3 with no FSD. Basically, the base model with a better paint.

You'll be fine. I saved around $9k by not getting the LR and put the money into getting the 220 line into my garage (which you need to really get). I am not saying that the LR is not worth it and for me it wasn't whether or not i could swing it or not....but $9k is good money to save.

The SR+ drives fine in the snow and we have had no issues with range. Nothing against the LR model but we have not missed the LR yet.

My SR is supposed to be 220 at 100%. However, it has charged to low 2's since it was new. Cut that in half for cold weather driving, in an area that you have to go pretty far out of your way to get to a supercharger, and it is not a car I am all that thrilled for my wife to drive herself and the kiddos around when its really cold out if they have much driving around town planned. I wouldn't be as concerned if it was a LR.

Reactions: arghx7
Thanks everyone!! These responses have definitely boosted my confidence. Most likely will be buying! My next question is, the end of the quarter crazy sales that Elon does. When do they start revealing those? My lease ends on March 28th. What are the usual end of quarter dates?

I believe some here are focusing on the OP's 10 mile commute and the 100-200 mile/week average and glossing over this very important aspect of his needs:

"Depends if I'm hiking or not. When I do hike, there are slow local chargers near to where I hike(picture shows chargers and the green blob is where I hike), but my friend is willing to "lend" me his car for those days in the winter when I need more range (just my day off when I hike). .

Am I overthinking this or should I go for it? The only thing that scares me is the loss of range in the winter. Right now, it's 28°F and snowing. I've heard the loss of range in the winter could be up to or near 50%. That's a significant amount of miles taken off. We have an ICE car for the longer trips in the winter if that helps."

So, consider he is someone who takes long(ish) trips to hike...sometimes in winter...which may significantly skew his otherwise manageable distance.

If the OP sometimes needs his friend to "lend" him his ICE car for those winter hikes, then wouldn't he be better suited with a longer range battery?

If not, then why?

I believe some here are focusing on the OP's 10 mile commute and the 100-200 mile/week average and glossing over this very important aspect of his needs:

"Depends if I'm hiking or not. When I do hike, there are slow local chargers near to where I hike(picture shows chargers and the green blob is where I hike), but my friend is willing to "lend" me his car for those days in the winter when I need more range (just my day off when I hike). .

Am I overthinking this or should I go for it? The only thing that scares me is the loss of range in the winter. Right now, it's 28°F and snowing. I've heard the loss of range in the winter could be up to or near 50%. That's a significant amount of miles taken off. We have an ICE car for the longer trips in the winter if that helps."

So, consider he is someone who takes long(ish) trips to hike...sometimes in winter...which may significantly skew his otherwise manageable distance.

If the OP sometimes needs his friend to "lend" him his ICE car for those winter hikes, then wouldn't he be better suited with a longer range battery?

If not, then why?

The truth is, I can't afford the long range. Even the SR+ is pushing it for me. Spending an extra 10 grand to use it once a week in just the winter? Nah. I could save that up for something else or additional stuff for the car.

Reactions: Yang_H and TomB985