Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Purchasing Doubts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry your car "slams on the brakes", I've never had that, but let's talk about "insufficient percentage" and this "delusional fanboy" theory for now. I'd say you, @TLLMRRJ are being rude and juvenile. I don't think you've thought much about this, sir. So let me explain...

I can’t “like” this post enough, you at the nail on the head. I love to drive, and autopilot lets me drive when I can and still get around when it hurts. even if I didn’t have these problems, being able to “opt out“ from regular driving would be s huge benefit. I explain it to people like it’s “cruise control for steering”. Not something people would use every day, but something that is really nice to have.

No idea at this point what the SR lacks now, it seems to change. I guess the AP is for sure. Sound system? What else? is there an up to date comparison table?.

There is an old comparison table that was available in the forum.
My experience (I downgraded from an SR+ to SR) is that SR lacks 20miles, partial immersive sound, AP (you can have for additional 3000), that’s it.

There is an old comparison table that was available in the forum.
My experience (I downgraded from an SR+ to SR) is that SR lacks 20miles, partial immersive sound, AP (you can have for additional 3000), that’s it.
it’s confusing because it’s changed more than once over the last eight months.

When I bought mine last April, the SR models weren’t supposed to have heated front seats as per the website and more than a single chart I saw. My SR+ also has fog lights, but newer builds don’t.

$1,990 for partial immersive sound and “20 miles” that you only get charging to 100%?

Think I’ll pass on that once I get a VIN on that W/W SR I put an order for. I anticipate end of quarter for delivery. That being said I’ll still gladly take a match to an equivalent SR+ for similar money.

I think it’s worth the $2,000, primarily from a resale standpoint. Also, when I bought my SR+ the $2,000 also got me fog lights. I understand that’s not the case anymore.

I think it’s worth the $2,000, primarily from a resale standpoint. Also, when I bought my SR+ the $2,000 also got me fog lights. I understand that’s not the case anymore.
Perhaps true but to me there’s a certain charm in potentially owning both the top dog and the base model. Plus with the SR being SW limited I don’t have to worry about charging to 100% as it’s about the same as charging the + to 90%.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
Perhaps true but to me there’s a certain charm in potentially owning both the top dog and the base model. Plus with the SR being SW limited I don’t have to worry about charging to 100% as it’s about the same as charging the + to 90%.

I think if somebody doesn't want autopilot, the SR is the way to go. I always get a chuckle about people "worrying" about charging to 100%, though. Like they will accidentally miss adjust the charge limit and break something. My car has hit 100% precisely once in nine months, and I can't recall worrying about screwing that up.

Like most vehicles, the best value is in the lower trim levels. That concept is especially prominent with the Model 3 with how quickly price scales as you go up the trim line.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The nice thing about the SR is that you do have the choice to make it an SR+ later if you so choose.

I'm missing something here. I thought some diffs were hardware, like a bigger battery, sound system etc?
Where can I see a current column comparison type spec for what you get w/ the SR vs SR+ vs next levels up (like whatever they call a non P high performance trim), with prices?

Last edited:
I find AP useful (and by extension EAP/FSD) but if I hadn’t gotten the massive discount I did on my P3D+ I’d have likely left the box unticked.

I also find FSD very useful.. I take over in certain parts of my commute that could be questionable and
Hey everyone! The lease for my Prius Prime expires at the end of March and im looking to purchase the standard range. But I am d having a little doubts. Everyone says buy the range you can afford and this is right within my price range. I live in Upstate NY (Oneonta, near the baseball hall of fame) and we have crappy winters here and there. After researching the 3 for about a year, reading massive amounts of threads from this group, Facebook, watching YouTube and several other sites, I am having doubts because of the range in the winter. My commute to work is only 10 miles RT. I can plug in at home and we have several local chargers nearby with a new supercharger coming in very soon. I only drive around 100-200 miles a week. Depends if I'm hiking or not. When I do hike, there are slow local chargers near to where I hike(picture shows chargers and the green blob is where I hike), but my friend is willing to "lend" me his car for those days in the winter when I need more range(just my day off when I hike). We take long trips sometimes, but everything I have simulated on A Better Route Planner has us making those places, even in the colder weather. So that's good.

Am I overthinking this or should I go for it? The only thing that scares me is the loss of range in the winter. Right now, it's 28°F and snowing. I've heard the loss of range in the winter could be up to or near 50%. That's a significant amount of miles taken off. We have an ICE car for the longer trips in the winter if that helps.

Thanks for all your help!!

Stash

View attachment 501828

Your commute is short enough that it'll be fine for you. You should go for it. I also live in the north east and I was afraid of the range but it's fine.

Reactions: Metalmanstan
I'm missing something here. I thought some diffs were hardware, like a bigger battery, sound system etc?
Where can I see a column comparison type spec for what you get w/ the SR vs SR+ vs next levels up, with prices?

There are no hardware differences between SR and SR+, including battery. Things that are different (via software):
- additional speakers turned off
- autopilot not included (can purchase separately for $3k)
- 20 miles of range gone
- slower 0-60

Fog lights are now excluded for both SR and SR+.

I would assume premium connectivity is still purchasable for SR, but can’t confirm.

There are no hardware differences between SR and SR+, including battery. Things that are different (via software):
- 20 miles of range gone
- slower 0-60

I would assume premium connectivity is still purchasable for SR, but can’t confirm.

Erm, autopilot is standard now

- 20 miles of range gone
- slower 0-60

Which additional speakers? I think you mean just software enabled immerseive sound?

- 20 miles of range gone
- slower 0-60

Correction, it is now 30 fewer miles of range, as SR+ now comes with 250 miles of range.