Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 RWD has an LFP battery pack that uses a Chinese-made cell from CATL. These cells are believed to be assembled in Tesla's Giga Shanghai Factory then shipped as a unit to Fremont. The Administration's EV Tax Credit will EXCLUDE the Model 3 RWD as it is written to penalize the use of minerals and labor from "non-friendly" jurisdictions. The Model 3 will not qualify for the EV Tax Credit.

Moreover, the "Inflation Reduction Act" and the EV Tax Credit is stuck in Agency Rule making so details are up in the air. If you need a car you might want to keep the order for the Model 3 RWD. The Tesla model that is likely to qualify for the EV Tax Credit is the Model Y Long Range (technically an SUV with higher price limits) which will be well north of 60k after taxes and fees. I expect the wait time to be extremely high for this Model as it has been for most of 2022.

Hope this helps.
The Model 3 will qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit for 2023, as long as the sales price is less than $55,000. The Made in America rule doesn’t go into effect until January 1, 2024.

The Model 3 will qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit for 2023, as long as the sales price is less than $55,000. The Made in America rule doesn’t go into effect until January 1, 2024.
This is all up in the air as the bill is stuck in agency rule making. However, the current consensus view is the mineral requirements apply on day one, which has pushed GM and Legacy Auto lobbyist to push for changes. Some think that half of the credit might be available but the overall math is complicated and no one seems to fully understand it at this time. What is clear is that the bill is in part intended to penalize components and labor from China. This explains why Tesla and other Auto Dealers are silent on the EV Credit and will not give customers any advice around it.

Again, the RWD uses the newer Chinese made battery cells from CATL and the cells are packed into a battery pack in Giga Shanghai. The pack is then exported to Fremont for assembly into our Model 3 RWD.

Moreover, for cars that do qualify for this Tax Incentive, it will not be applied at the time of purchase. It will need to be applied to their tax filings after April 2024 as a reduction in their tax liability.

My delivery window moved up by an entire week, so I'm now expecting delivery this week!
No VIN number yet (at least, not officially--found it in my page source code). Expecting a call from Tesla today, since the delivery window opens tomorrow haha.

Order date: September 20
RWD, white, white interior, 18" aero wheels, no FSD or EAP. Ajax, Ontario
Current delivery window: November 29 to December 8

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry.K.Chu
Delivery date scheduled, has anyone else gotten to the next step?

OD- 11/09/2022
EDD - 11/26 to 12/24
EDD (Updated) - 12/03 - 12/12
Delivery Ctr - Mount Kisco
TRIM: MSM, Blk Int, 18 Areo
VIN Assigned on 11/21
Insurance Upload
- 11/21
Payment Via Plaid - 11/21
Request to schedule delivery - 11/27
Tentative Delivery Date - Sunday 12/04 (still in transit)

Reactions: UtahRider
I have a doubt, on 11/21 I got EDD of 12/4-13 and VIN, and insurance and payment options did pop-up, but how can I upload proof of insurance if I don't know when to start it? And my bank is also telling me to hold on to the loan signature until I get definitive delivery date. I shall wait for both, right?

OD- 11/09/2022
EDD - 11/26 to 12/24

No delivery schedule or anything so far.

I have a doubt, on 11/21 I got EDD of 12/4-13 and VIN, and insurance and payment options did pop-up, but how can I upload proof of insurance if I don't know when to start it? And my bank is also telling me to hold on to the loan signature until I get definitive delivery date. I shall wait for both, right?

OD- 11/09/2022
EDD - 11/26 to 12/24

I started mine for 12/3 on projected 1st date of delivery just have your insurance quote you for that date and you can adjust as needed

OD- 11/09/2022
EDD - 11/26 to 12/24

I uploaded the policy for the other 3 cars we have. Once I schedule delivery I’ll set the start date to whatever the date is.

Delivery date scheduled, has anyone else gotten to the next step?

OD- 11/09/2022
EDD - 11/26 to 12/24
Delivery Ctr - Mount Kisco
TRIM: MSM, Blk Int, 18 Areo
VIN Assigned on 11/21
Insurance Upload
- 11/21
Payment Via Plaid - 11/21
Request to schedule delivery - 11/27
Tentative Delivery Date - Sunday 12/04 (still in transit)
Not yet, still waiting on the delivery text.

Well, it looks like I've lost my delivery date window. As a recap:

Model 3 / RWD / Red / White / Aeros / Austin, TX

Order date: 11/9/2022
First Delivery range: November - December
Second Delivery Range: November 29 - December 13 (updated 11/21)
Third Delivery Range: November - December (updated 11/28)

I've tried the page source trick to search for a VIN but it appears I have not been assigned one.

model 3 white ext, white Int, 18" wheels No EAP or FSD.
OD: 9/22
1st EDD: 11/28 - 1/8
2nd EDD: 12/14 - 12/31
3rd EDD: Oct-Dec
4th EDD: 11/24 - 12/22
5th EDD: 11/28 - 12/12
6th EDD: 11/30 - 12/6, with VIN
11/22: received text saying car just left the factory and is in transit to my local service center. Schedule date not set yet.

11/28: received schedule email. Chose first available delivery date 12/7.