Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR with FSD v LR without

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I am not convinced that FSD will ever be very useful with UK weather, on UK roads, under UK law, within the lifetime of useful life of a vehicle that anyone buying now will likely benefit from. Certainly not enough to justify thousands of £'s now.
So not even slightly tempted by it.
And if I am totally wrong the extra cost of adding it later will have to be covered by the piles of cash my robo taxi is earning me :)

I'd rather have more range and the TACC (which you get with the included AutoPilot) than SR+ range and AutoSteer and Auto Lane Change, to be honest. And that's from someone who has purchased FSD and thinks it's useful. I have the LR, but you basically get the P with dual motors in the UK too.

In the long run FSD might be worth it, but I doubt it's going to become that much more expensive than it is now...

SR+ without, unless you do a lot of long distance driving, then LR without.

The only useful feature FSD has right now is lane change with indicator. Even if it gets navigate A to B you still have to sit there and monitor it. Certainly wouldn't be able to trust it blindly.

Even if it's perfect in say 3 years i doubt it will be able to detect potholes on country roads. Would be gutted if the car gets summoned and returns with a cracked alloy... I just don't see it happening for another 10-15 years and by then you will have another car.

FSD doesn't have to be perfect to give you a more relaxed ride

You get follow the car in front on AP already without FSD. I'd say that's 80% of the stress, for the other 20% you get navigate (maybe) and lane change with indicator for £6k. Parking and summon is situational and gimmicky IMO.

I mean that's a lot of taxi rides....

Im confused with the post. There is no LR to order since last Friday. Only SR+ and performance available in the UK
Yes there is. It's just the performance model without the performance add-ons.

You get follow the car in front on AP already without FSD. I'd say that's 80% of the stress, for the other 20% you get navigate (maybe) and lane change with indicator for £6k. Parking and summon is situational and gimmicky IMO.

I mean that's a lot of taxi rides....

Isn't this basically adaptive cruise control!!?

Isn't this basically adaptive cruise control!!?

Its stay in lane etc. as well (e.g. in bumper to bumper traffic it will "drive the road" as well as follow / stop/start

The only thing I would add on the move of change-lanes from EAP to FSD is:

Bing-Bong every time you manually change lanes is annoying, particularly for passengers

No AutoPilot crash-avoidance whilst you are driving manually to change-lanes to pass slower traffic (and I would guess that if you only have a short passing manoeuvre to do you won't re-engage AP in the outside lane to then, almost immediately, have it cancel when you move back to inside lane, which increases the time you are driving "at risk". Long odds maybe ... but part of driving an EV is the increased safety, and AP improves that still further (according to Tesla accidents [in Tesla cars] are 50% less when driving on AP ... although maybe 99% of AP miles are on inherently safer dual-carriageway roads of course ...)

I've seen YouTubes of people trying AP on regular roads, and I just don't think I would be comfortable with it on country roads ... yet ... but for people who have a good quality A-Road commute AP is probably fine, and indeed I have/do use AP on those roads at times - I doubt they need FSD for vehicle passing though!; but I'm fortunate that 95% of my driving is on dual carriageway and ideal for AP.