Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

St. Joseph, MI supercharger issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an FYI that this location has numerous stalls out right now and the only 2-3 working are charging at low rates. There was a backlog of Teslas waiting there this evening; I was lucky enough to have enough juice to get to Merrillville.

Mishawaka is closer but was the wrong direction for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Evoforce
Just an FYI that this location has numerous stalls out right now and the only 2-3 working are charging at low rates. There was a backlog of Teslas waiting there this evening; I was lucky enough to have enough juice to get to Merrillville.

Mishawaka is closer but was the wrong direction for me.

Really wish they would get this one sorted out. It’s had issues for quite some time now.

Really wish they would get this one sorted out. It’s had issues for quite some time now.

How is the St Joseph supercharger these days, will be coming through from Chicago late Friday evening.

Abetterrouteplanner has me stopping at St Joseph, but I might be able to stretch it to Marshall, Mi supercharger if I keep the speed down. I figured I would try to stop there since it does not look far off 94, but would like to know if I should just keep the speed down from the start and try to make Marshall?

How is the St Joseph supercharger these days, will be coming through from Chicago late Friday evening.

Abetterrouteplanner has me stopping at St Joseph, but I might be able to stretch it to Marshall, Mi supercharger if I keep the speed down. I figured I would try to stop there since it does not look far off 94, but would like to know if I should just keep the speed down from the start and try to make Marshall?

I used it recently. In my notes (don’t laugh!) I list the 7th stall (406 mi/hr)from the road as the fastest. The 5th and 3rd from the road are both VERY slow. The 4th stall from the road is okay (285 mi/hr).

I used it recently. In my notes (don’t laugh!) I list the 7th stall (406 mi/hr)from the road as the fastest. The 5th and 3rd from the road are both VERY slow. The 4th stall from the road is okay (285 mi/hr).

You sound serious, thanks for the response! I'll be pulling in near midnight with 3 more hours to drive, so its good to have some sort of plan going in.

Can I ask why you have such detailed notes of each stall's performance?

You sound serious, thanks for the response! I'll be pulling in near midnight with 3 more hours to drive, so its good to have some sort of plan going in.

Can I ask why you have such detailed notes of each stall's performance?

I travel frequently for work and use the same Superchargers often. I’d rather just pull up and know what one is the quickest and be on my way. I’ve found that they are definitely not consistent at older locations.

Has anyone visited this SC recently? Reading comments from PlugShare, there’re still multiple stalls out and slow charging speed for those that work as of last week.

Looks like this is a must-stop for those who come from the west to Michigan. I’ll be going on a road trip on Thanksgiving Day and figure it might be really bad at this location. ABRP wants me to charge at this SC...

It’s old, it’s iffy, and RyanF knows best. But you will get some charge, not as fast as newer chargers. So charge to 10% more than you need to get to the next supercharger and Happy Thanksgiving!

I use the Tesla to plan trips once I’m on the road. Good luck.

It’s old, it’s iffy, and RyanF knows best. But you will get some charge, not as fast as newer chargers. So charge to 10% more than you need to get to the next supercharger and Happy Thanksgiving!

I use the Tesla to plan trips once I’m on the road. Good luck.
Thank you. I guess I’ll drive slow for the first leg of the trip so I’ll have enough juice to skip St Joseph if I have to. The SC in Michigan City cannot open soon enough.

Thank you. I guess I’ll drive slow for the first leg of the trip so I’ll have enough juice to skip St Joseph if I have to. The SC in Michigan City cannot open soon enough.

Sorry, let me be more clear. I recommend stopping for 15-30 minutes at St Joseph and topping off your car. It will eliminate range anxiety and the amenities at St Joseph are pleasant, but closed on Holidays and some hours (play Tesla arcade if you have to).

happy trails

(yeah a new V3 charger in Michigan City would be sweet)

Sorry, let me be more clear. I recommend stopping for 15-30 minutes at St Joseph and topping off your car. It will eliminate range anxiety and the amenities at St Joseph are pleasant, but closed on Holidays and some hours (play Tesla arcade if you have to).

happy trails

(yeah a new V3 charger in Michigan City would be sweet)
Thanks for clarifying.
Right but I figure it’s a busy travel day and it would be a critical SC stop for a lot of fellow drivers there might be a 30-minute wait in line for a 15-minute charge. Let’s see what the in car navigation tells me. I’ll definitely stop there if there’s no wait.