Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered or Square Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to replace my 18” Aeros and wondering what people’s opinions are on keeping a square setup or moving to staggered?
Square. I want to rotate my tires and the best range. It’s not a sports car so why bother.

I’ve had staggered in two different cars. It makes no difference to me commuting to work driving 75. Never notice. I like the tread patterns on staggered setups I’ve had LOL is that worth it?

You didn't indicate a tire width so it's difficult to answer. If you're going to stuff 275 tires in there, your offset options will be limited anyway.

That being said, there's a third option: "square staggered"...or is it "staggered square"? Run the same tires on all 4 wheels but with staggered offset only. @SignatureWheel offers this setup. I'm not sure you'll find it common in "off the shelf" wheels of course.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
You didn't indicate a tire width so it's difficult to answer. If you're going to stuff 275 tires in there, your offset options will be limited anyway.

That being said, there's a third option: "square staggered"...or is it "staggered square"? Run the same tires on all 4 wheels but with staggered offset only. @SignatureWheel offers this setup. I'm not sure you'll find it common in "off the shelf" wheels of course.
This is the best setup for looks and efficiency. Other manufacturers have to run a 10.5” wide wheel to get the correct offset and staggered look. If you run custom wheels from @SignatureSales ...the square wheel with staggered offset let’s you run the same size tire front and back which is dope.

I honestly don't understand how staggered even makes better looks (how you can even see that). But it does everything else worse.

visual differences are wider tires in the rear and having a wider wheel in the rear results in a lower offset = more concave look.

IMO the handling impacts on the street are negligible. If you’re going to auto-x or do HPDE events etc....square is the way to go.

visual differences are wider tires in the rear and having a wider wheel in the rear results in a lower offset = more concave look.

IMO the handling impacts on the street are negligible. If you’re going to auto-x or do HPDE events etc....square is the way to go.
Honestly, why not to make different ET then? Anyway, I just don't get it and can't see it, but whatever - people also buy billion dollar per year of K&N filter crap, so I guess it's just a thing.

Honestly, why not to make different ET then?

not sure what you’re asking. Having wider rear is a what allows you to run an even lower ET on the rear wheels. What’s great about customization is that it’s a personal expression.

Staggered will give you understeer. So that alone should be a hard no.

While true that staggered will have more understeer. If you’re at the point of hitting understeer on public streets, you’re driving way to aggressive and need to slow down.....take it to the track.

• Disagree
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Looking to replace my 18” Aeros and wondering what people’s opinions are on keeping a square setup or moving to staggered?
Another option that has been minimally explored is to split the difference. By this I mean having a minimally staggered set up that gives you the aesthetic advantages of staggered but without a lot of terminal understeer. See this link. But this particular buildout while not cheap proved
20201123_113258.jpg
to be worth the cost and the time. And no terminal understeer.

Reactions: XLR82XS