Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Upgrade [SR to SR+]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased used car from third party dealership. 2019 Model 3 standard range with 6400 miles. Paid $189 for tesla to give it a look over. Came back clean with no issues. I did inquire about upgrading to the standard plus since everything I've read suggests it's possible. For anyone wanting to know the info, you CAN upgrade the standard to standard plus for $2,000. Cust support did not know and referred me to a local service center. I called them and they confirmed. They will basically software unlock the fog lights (only cars that physically have fog lamps built before July 2019), premium sound, add 30 miles to the range (now 250 from 220), and faster acceleration of 5.3 0-60. The car will then be branded a plus per screen, and per tesla vin search. You will not get basic autopilot. You still have to purchase that separately. As of this time, it's $3,000.

What you will not get is any upgrade to home charging since both standard and plus max at 7.5kw on 32amps. You can only get up to a max of 30 miles per hour. The standard and plus are compatible with v3 supercharging and can charge at full speeds. They explained superchargers are DC where home is AC.

Anyway, prob zero news to anyone here but since I was struggling to find the above, this may help 1 person out there. if anyone has any additional info please let me know. I want to learn everything! :)

Love the car and can't wait for our first short roadtip!

Welcome to TMC,

I have seen this reported in a couple threads here before, like this one:

The difference in price between the SR and SR+ was less than the $5,000 that it cost to unlock the SR+ features and add autopilot. It doesnt sound like that has changed at all, even though the SR is no longer available to purchase.

At least it can be done separately, and someone doesnt "have" to pay for the autopilot features if they dont want to, although that will leave the car in a situation where its an SR+ without autopilot but with the other features.

Thanks for confirming that tesla still does this upgrade for those that still have SR (not SR+) model 3s.

I wonder if this will be an option for Model Y SR owners down the road.
There won't be an SR and an SR+ Y just an SR Y. The SR 3 only existed to keep Elon's promise of a $35K Model 3, it didn't make any sense as a product. The SR was just a software nobbled SR+, it cost Tesla just as much to build as the SR+ which means that they lost money on every one of them. They aren't making the same mistake twice, there won't be an upgrade path on an SR Y because it will have a smaller probably LFP battery and only one motor.

SR/SR+ are compatible with v3 superchargers but they will not charge at the full 250kW. They are limited to 170kW max.
Thanks! Good to know. I figured it wouldn’t do that much diff anyway since the battery is smaller. Even the videos I’ve seen doesn’t hold the 250kw that long unless under specific battery conditions, weather, range, etc. I was still confused about that one but haven’t gone to a sc to test yet. Thanks.

Upgrading from SR to SR+ does not add premium sound like the LR model has. The car is still missing the subwoofer and it does not activate the 6 extra speakers. It will only add the immersive sound option which is a software effect on the SR/SR+ model.
Ah thanks. I should have been more clear. Correct. Just adds the software option for immersive sound.