Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting to feel like Cybertruck is going the way of the Roadster: Vaporware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By now Tesla should know what exactly the outside and inside of the truck will look like. They should also know towing and payload capacity across each version of the truck. Will all versions have the same payload capacity?
"Should", yet no information to the public on pricing, payload, range, or speed outside of the original announcement.

edit: Also that the prices will be higher, but by how much? We only speculate.

Reactions: TessP100D
Well I guess Elon is continuing his trend of claiming credit for odd obscure things from 1950’s to 1990’s vehicles.

Model X “suv” (Pontiac Aztec)

Yoke (mid 80’s Honda odyssey)

Now the boat (1940’s Porsche Schwimmwagen or better known 1960’s aquaticar)

But I wonder if anyone told him almost all trucks will float for a bit, the problem is without propulsion and a rudder floating is undesirable for water crossings…

Attachments

• EE115DFD-EBCC-4D61-B659-80AAF794E280.jpeg
    EE115DFD-EBCC-4D61-B659-80AAF794E280.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 5F9AF9C0-F567-4554-880F-728A5C060C12.jpeg
    5F9AF9C0-F567-4554-880F-728A5C060C12.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 42
  • AF3E0E6A-61BB-457F-A34F-865613EA42BB.jpeg
    AF3E0E6A-61BB-457F-A34F-865613EA42BB.jpeg
    829.7 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: TessP100D
surely, you saw the old videos of the Model S floating in a flooded underpass in Russia several years ago. The rear wheel drives acted as waterwheels (propulsion) and the front wheels steered (rudder).
The one that guy modded to drive under water but still on the ground? I can tell you from being in disaster response, military, and an avid off roader when vehicles float there is no control. As for a model s floating controlled, if it did happen in a one off they were extremely lucky. A controllable floating S is unlikely as I can’t imagine street (as in non-paddle tires) could generate enough thrust in the water to direct a 5k lb S and front wheels could direct water flow as a rudder.

The one that guy modded to drive under water but still on the ground? I can tell you from being in disaster response, military, and an avid off roader when vehicles float there is no control. As for a model s floating controlled, if it did happen in a one off they were extremely lucky. A controllable floating S is unlikely as I can’t imagine street (as in non-paddle tires) could generate enough thrust in the water to direct a 5k lb S and front wheels could direct water flow as a rudder.
No, the word (it was on the internet so it must be true :) was that it was stock. Clearly, this would not be a good idea to go out to try but it did, apparently, work. Note that I've driven a lot of boats from surfboards to 500+ ft ships, as well as done some off-road driving (on land) including fording some rivers. I definitely understand and agree with your concerns.
I would, of course, love to take some of the stress out of fording so a floating truck has some appeal. Since I almost always pre-walk any fording passes, I'd probably consider anchoring a rope to the one side or the other since one definitely wouldn't want a current to sweep one's truck away. The idea is still a bit crazy though.

And GM will have 15 more announcements for models that are coming soon without ever producing any of the previous ones.

Cybertruck will be here in mass next year.
This comment aged poorly considering people are already seeing Silverado EV prototypes driving around to test range, charging and road dynamics.

How many camo wrapped CyberTrucks have been spotted doing road tests?

The Silverado EV is based on the Hummer EV platform which absolutely has been released, since people have already started flipping them on BAT/C&B.

So yeah, GM, like Ford and Rivian are ahead of Tesla on the EV truck front.

I'd love a CyberTruck, but if the Lightning and R1T launch are anything to go by, all the day-one reservation holders aren't going to get any for a while anyway even when they DO start shipping them.

Current CyberTruck reservation holders will probably have to wait until 2025 to order their truck.

surely, you saw the old videos of the Model S floating in a flooded underpass in Russia several years ago. The rear wheel drives acted as waterwheels (propulsion) and the front wheels steered (rudder).
That was short distance and the water wasn't really moving. I don't see a Tesla handling this very well. Someone will eventually die thinking their Tesla will float and they can power through water.

Someone will eventually die thinking their Tesla will float and they can power through water.
People get in trouble all the time thinking their SUV can handle water too. They don't realize that the air intake is inside the wheel well, readily accessible to water.
As with all things Tesla, just get some popcorn and sit back. It will be an interesting show to watch or even participate in.

• Funny
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I had a reservation for the Ford lightening. I'm In Canada. I recently was told that I could now put money down and make it an order. They couldn't tell me how long the wait would be. Maybe a year was there guess. The price was too high for me. I think it was $80k Canadian for the mid trim truck. I declined and they gave me my $100 back.
I figure that the Tesla charging network is a large part of the value of a Tesla. It's hard to put a number on but let's say the charging network adds %20 to the value of a Tesla. So I'm my mind, the Ford would have to be an equal truck to the Cybertruck, and be %20 less because of the lack of a charging network. Of course I don't know what the price will be for the Cybertruck, but I'm thinking it will be similar in price or maybe a bit cheaper than the Ford. So to me, the Cybertruck is the better value.
Since the Cybertruck doesn’t exist you cannot make a relative value comparison to something that does with know price and features.

Reactions: Fleetwood75