Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starts slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the last update, my Model S takes a few extra seconds to come on before I could shift to gear. Has anyone else noticed it?
If anyone could tell me how to shorten the time the doors lock after walking away from the car, I would appreciate. It looks like it takes for ever and I am paranoid about leaving the car unlocked even for a short duration.

The few extra seconds in turning on is waking up from sleep mode. You can avoid sleep mode by turning energy saving off in the display controls, but you would lose a few more miles overnight keeping all the systems awake. Your choice.

The few extra seconds in turning on is waking up from sleep mode. You can avoid sleep mode by turning energy saving off in the display controls, but you would lose a few more miles overnight keeping all the systems awake. Your choice.

Yes you will lose a few miles if your car is not plugged in to shore power. But most owners plug in every night son no point in turning energy saving off.

Yes you will lose a few miles if your car is not plugged in to shore power. But most owners plug in every night son no point in turning energy saving off.

Maybe like 1-2 miles overnight!? I think that's how much I've lost. Could be around 1 mile. I think if you plug in every night you can just have energy saving off that way once you hop in the car everything starts up instantly.

If anyone could tell me how to shorten the time the doors lock after walking away from the car, I would appreciate. It looks like it takes for ever and I am paranoid about leaving the car unlocked even for a short duration.
Even if someone gets into the car they won't be able to drive it if the fob is not around. If you are parking in a neighborhood that is that sketchy you should simply tap the lock button before you walk away. That's what I do if I park where there are a lot of people. You could also use the phone app to lock it and/or verify that it locked.

I've noticed that my doors lock reasonably quickly when I walk away from my car -- as soon as I'm maybe 25'-50' away. But my headlights stay on for another minute or two beyond that. While they're on (and while you're walking away from the car) it's easy to miss the brief flash and the retraction of the door handles indicating that it's locked. When I first got the car I went so far as to stare at it for the entire 1-2 minutes until the lights shut off.

Of course, when I want to be 100% sure, like strider said, I'll click the lock button on my fob and/or use my phone app.

As for slow startup, I find that by the time I've gotten settled in the car and buckled my seat belt, the car is either ready or <5 seconds away from being ready. But I wonder if you could speed up the process a little by opening the trunk or unlocking the doors with the fob as you approach...

I've noticed that my doors lock reasonably quickly when I walk away from my car -- as soon as I'm maybe 25'-50' away. But my headlights stay on for another minute or two beyond that. While they're on (and while you're walking away from the car) it's easy to miss the brief flash and the retraction of the door handles indicating that it's locked. When I first got the car I went so far as to stare at it for the entire 1-2 minutes until the lights shut off.

The lights staying on after you exit the car is controlled in the Controls window under the Settings tab, the setting for "Headlghts After Exit". If that is on, they stay on for two minutes after you exit the car.

I turned off the "headings after exit" as I don't need that feature. For the locking, I watched it the first couple of times, but now after ten months I've yet to come back to an unlocked car. I still watch it after every upgrade though--you never know what's broken changed.