Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State inspection in the Boston area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Take it to a Mercedes, Lexus, Audi or BMW dealer.
Any place which does state inspections has to accept all cars.
I'm taking my wife's S soon for an inspection and the Mercedes dealer
and they wash all cars which go into their shop ;-)

Reactions: chjch
Take it to a Mercedes, Lexus, Audi or BMW dealer.
Any place which does state inspections has to accept all cars.
I'm taking my wife's S soon for an inspection and the Mercedes dealer
and they wash all cars which go into their shop ;-)

It would feel weird for me to go to a dealer of another make with a Tesla. Any recommendation to an independent place which is better than the average gas station?

The very first time, I actually took it to a gas station, the closest inspection station near me. The guy doesn't know how to read the mileage so I have to show him. Took about 5 minutes before he put a new sticker on my windshield. Kind funny now I think about it.

Reactions: chjch
The very first time, I actually took it to a gas station, the closest inspection station near me. The guy doesn't know how to read the mileage so I have to show him. Took about 5 minutes before he put a new sticker on my windshield. Kind funny now I think about it.
My local guy apparently put down the range on the inspection for mileage. He went to put down the same next year and asked if I ever drive the car.

• Funny
Reactions: Nikxice and yousexy
I took my Model 3 to Dedham Gas & Service, which is the location where Tesla Dedham has been referring anyone who asks where to get an inspection. (You can tell they inspect several Model 3s per day because they'll ask you for "the card" instead of "the keys"!) No need to explain the car or how it works, you just hand them the card, they drive it into the bay, and less than five minutes later, you're done... without any time to strike up a conversation with the owner of the next Model 3 in line. :)

Only issue with this location is that their property is tiny, with only a few spaces to park... so showing up on a day/time when there isn't a lot of demand for inspection stickers is probably a good idea.

I took my Model 3 to Dedham Gas & Service, which is the location where Tesla Dedham has been referring anyone who asks where to get an inspection. (You can tell they inspect several Model 3s per day because they'll ask you for "the card" instead of "the keys"!) No need to explain the car or how it works, you just hand them the card, they drive it into the bay, and less than five minutes later, you're done... without any time to strike up a conversation with the owner of the next Model 3 in line. :)

Only issue with this location is that their property is tiny, with only a few spaces to park... so showing up on a day/time when there isn't a lot of demand for inspection stickers is probably a good idea.

I think you are referring to the Exxon station, on Washington St. across from the central fire house in Dedham Square. That is also where I have taken my Model S for three years now, as well as other cars before that. The owner is a big fan of Tesla. The place looks very unassuming but I've been treated well there. Very convenient to the Tesla store, too, just about a mile away.

By the way, not sure it's been mentioned in the forum before, but the reason the guy in charge of my Model S delivery in Dedham last week gave me for Tesla not doing inspections is that they are the manufacturer of the car, so they are not at this point allowed to do the inspection themselves. I did read someone mentioning it was because they would then also have to inspect ICE cars, so, not sure which is true.

The latter is true. If you do inspections you have to take on all comers.
Tesla's garages aren't designed to vent exhaust fumes.

Watertown has a deal with the nearby Lexus dealer and they will get you a sticker there if you give them the cash up front.