Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stategy for Lack of Spare Tire on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2002 M5 didn't come with a spare, it came with the inflator kit+goo+free BMW roadside assistance, although I have and use AAA Plus. In 120k+ miles, I've never had to use the goo.

In my P85+, I always carried a spare tire (no rim) in the frunk, so if I had a real problem, all I needed to find was a place to remount my matching tire, which is almost anywhere. Having the spare tire alone also left a lot of open space in the frunk for storage of other stuff.

But I sold it and have a P85D and 1/2 the frunk space, so that plan no longer applies. It's back to the same BMW plan -- inflator kit+goo+AAA+.

I got a nail in my 4 month old MS a few weeks back. I have the 21's Conti's and at that time Tesla and not one Discount Tire in the entire state of Texas had a replacement tire since both Discount and Tesla said the tire couldn't be repaired since the nail was to the outside of the tire. Luckily the nail produced a very slow leak and Tesla got a tire in within a few days.
I have the Tesla Tire Repair Kit, and Tesla did offer to have Road Side come by and put a loaner tire on.
Cost $500 bucks for the one tire with only 4K miles on it, that sucked.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc
The incidence rate for flat-tires is low on average. So my backup plan is roadside assistance. ;) Those Fix-a-flat cans may be useful, but from what every tire technician tells me they are PITA and they ruin your TPMS.
roadside assistance can be hit or miss, some areas are better covered than others. if you have a flat all they will do is flat bed you to the closest service center or tire store. if the tire is unrepairable and needs to be replaced the tire store you are at might not have a tire that fits, the tires for tesla aren't all that common, you could be in for a very long delay in your trip.
I purchased an OEM rim and tire for when I will be travelling "off the grid"

Tesla roadside assistance - $$$ but no learning curve

Hmmm.....I just went through roadside assistance for a flat. When I asked them how much it would cost me, they said something to the effect of it being FREE as part of the deal. Being pleased with that answer, I didn't think to ask them if that was for the lifetime of the car, or otherwise.

Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
Just about to take delivery of Model S .. was wondering what strategies Model S owners have employed for the lack of a spare/jack?
I have had the bad fortune of having had two flat tires in my first 8,000 miles. The first time, I saw that I was losing air slowly (I always have the tire pressure readings on my dash) and was able to make it home just in the nick of time. The Tesla repair truck came to my house and changed the wheel for a spare wheel and tire that he carries in his truck and took the flat tire to the nearest Tesla repair center, where it was patched. I picked it up two days later. The second time, another nail found the same tire. The Tesla truck came in fairly short order and the procedure was repeated. This time, the tire could not be repaired. They charged me about $235 for a new tire (including installation) and I was happy for that. I also have AAA, just in case the Tesla truck cannot get to me in a timely fashion and carry the Tesla tire inflation and foam kit in my frunk.

I previously drove a BMW 750li, which had runflat tires. I bought a full size 245 45 19 BMW rim and tire and used it as a spare. Now I use this same BMW spare tire for my model s and it fits. I had 2 flats on my BMW and none on this model S, which has 15k miles on it. I only put this spare tire in the trunk for a long road trip.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have no idea--my Model S tires don't have foam in them, so I can't say that it's something I've thought about.
I'm not sure what the prevalence is of the foam in Tesla tires, or when it became standard, but mine certainly has it - was a pain in the butt to find a replacement in stock when I had a flat that couldn't be repaired. Car was disabled sitting on the flat for two days until my SC opened and the car towed there. And even they had only 4 in stock.

I'm not sure what the prevalence is of the foam in Tesla tires, or when it became standard, but mine certainly has it - was a pain in the butt to find a replacement in stock when I had a flat that couldn't be repaired. Car was disabled sitting on the flat for two days until my SC opened and the car towed there. And even they had only 4 in stock.
fyi my 70D (Nov2015 production) came with 19" Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires that do not have sound deadening foam, I noticed this last fall when I had the tires removed to put snow tires on the OEM wheels. Perhaps newer cars have the foam?

as to the OP's question, I carry a 12V portable inflator in the frunk along with a tire plug kit, plus a bottle of emergency tire sealant if it's not possible to do a plug repair.

I just today picked up a 12v $30 pump from Home Depot. I already have a tire repair kit i got for my Nissan Leaf when I was told that the tire could not be repaired but should be replaced. I plugged it myself, found an air compressor to put air pressure back up to 43psi, all for about $5. It has been many months and all is well. Pressure holding. Now with the pump, I can put the repair kit, and a pair of pliers in the pump box to keep in the Model S, just in case. We will be taking multiple long trips from now to September, totaling about 15,000. I hope we do not need it, but nice to have if we do.

Reactions: ig_epower
Here is what usually happens in the real world. This happened to us a few years back in my brother in laws MB, please forgive me but he did work for Exxon until retirement. You are driving along and run over a piece of road debri similar to what happened to the Concorde SST. A can of goo and an inflator is not going to do you much good. You need a spare tire. Sure you can wait for roadside assistance but I like the option of being more proactive. I am buying an extra 19" sport wheel for our Model 3 and plan to put the best worn out Continental tire we have when they wear out on it. 5,000 miles in 3 months so far. I already have a scissor jack, wooden block to mate with jack points, wheels chocks and a long socket handle with 21 mm socket. My question if anyone knows can we also use this spare tire/wheel for a model S? Do they have the same wheel lug hole pattern and mating face for lug nuts? Do they use same lug nuts? Thanks.

Here is what usually happens in the real world. This happened to us a few years back in my brother in laws MB, please forgive me but he did work for Exxon until retirement. You are driving along and run over a piece of road debri similar to what happened to the Concorde SST. A can of goo and an inflator is not going to do you much good. You need a spare tire. Sure you can wait for roadside assistance but I like the option of being more proactive. I am buying an extra 19" sport wheel for our Model 3 and plan to put the best worn out Continental tire we have when they wear out on it. 5,000 miles in 3 months so far. I already have a scissor jack, wooden block to mate with jack points, wheels chocks and a long socket handle with 21 mm socket. My question if anyone knows can we also use this spare tire/wheel for a model S? Do they have the same wheel lug hole pattern and mating face for lug nuts? Do they use same lug nuts? Thanks.
The spacing is different on the Model S and Model 3 (5x120 vs 5x114.3)

The Gooloo powers the electric jack, and the compressor so you don’t have to use the car’s 12v cigarette plug. Just remember to recharge on occasion.
Hockey pucks for jack points.
I have this set up in all my cars. Haven’t have to use except to top off tire pressure.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 4254C2DD-A81D-4705-A408-EF79C47F5AD8.jpeg
    4254C2DD-A81D-4705-A408-EF79C47F5AD8.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 79E54485-A04E-43C8-98A5-C48471E0CE6D.jpeg
    79E54485-A04E-43C8-98A5-C48471E0CE6D.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 694A8C5B-A34F-48B8-85CF-23A000147B99.jpeg
    694A8C5B-A34F-48B8-85CF-23A000147B99.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 29E5BD26-28A7-423A-85CD-AB17645F863F.jpeg