Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Status of EV Rebate in Latest Version Tax Bill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the tax bill version around Nov 9th had the EV rebate but I haven't read anything about the current iteration. Is it the same fade out rebate as before? I'm looking into ordering and wanted to know.

I've been trying to find updates but there hasn't been much in the past 7-10 days. Last report I can find is the house bill removes the rebate but the senate bill keeps it. They will have to negotiate in coherence if senate bill passes. I have an early January model X delivery date, may try to buy an inventory car if one becomes available. I do think however it's 90% chance the rebate stays, lots of ice manufacture lobbies are on Tesla side on this one. It's a very small amount of money in the big picture.

The house bill says No to EV tax incentive while the Senate version as of (2 weeks ago) said Yes. The bill needs to be amended through reconciliation. Things are looking bleak for the EV tax credit since the Tax Reform bill needs to make cuts in order to keep it below the 1.5T deficit.

The house bill says No to EV tax incentive while the Senate version as of (2 weeks ago) said Yes. The bill needs to be amended through reconciliation. Things are looking bleak for the EV tax credit since the Tax Reform bill needs to make cuts in order to keep it below the 1.5T deficit.
Agreed, it would seem unlikely to be included. Of course that assumes the buffoons even know what they are voting on.

As of right now, it's gone (from S.Amdt.1746 to S.Amdt.1618 to H.R.1 - 115th Congress (2017-2018) - Amendment Text ):

SA 1746. Mr. FLAKE submitted an amendment intended to be proposed to
amendment SA 1618 proposed by Mr. McConnell (for Mr. Hatch (for himself
and Ms. Murkowski)) to the bill H.R. 1, to provide for reconciliation
pursuant to titles II and V of the concurrent resolution on the budget
for fiscal year 2018; which was ordered to lie on the table; as
follows:

At the appropriate place, insert the following:

SEC. ____. TERMINATION OF CREDIT FOR NEW QUALIFIED PLUG-IN
ELECTRIC DRIVE MOTOR VEHICLES.

(a) In General.--Subpart B of part IV of subchapter A of
chapter 1 is amended by striking section 30D (and by striking
the item relating to such section in the table of sections
for such subpart).
(b) Conforming Amendments.--
(1) Section 38(b) is amended by striking paragraph (35).
(2) Section 1016(a) is amended by striking paragraph (37).
(3) Section 6501(m) is amended by striking ``30D(e)(4),''.
(c) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section
shall apply to vehicles placed in service in taxable years
beginning after December 31, 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I still can't find the senate bill....is it seriously just notes that these people passed. I want to know about the tax credit
The Senate bill, which just passed the Senate, can be downloaded here: https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/TAX SUBSTITUTE.pdf

I did an OCR scan of the 600-page bill and searched for "electric" and "vehicle" and could find no reference whatsoever to the electric vehicle tax credit. This implies that the tax credit was left standing.

Unfortunately, we are not out of the woods yet. The fate of the credit in the tax bill won't be known for sure until it gets through the reconciliation process to work out the differences between House and Senate bills. It could end up being removed, left in place or changed in some way.

Reconciliation (United States Congress) - Wikipedia
No, you mean conference committee. Reconciliation is a process under a Senate rules that avoids a filibuster, which is how the Senate bill was passed. Now the Senate and House have a conference committee to compromise on their differences, and both chambers have to pass the final identical version.

The Senate bill, which just passed the Senate, can be downloaded here: https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/TAX SUBSTITUTE.pdf

I did an OCR scan of the 600-page bill and searched for "electric" and "vehicle" and could find no reference whatsoever to the electric vehicle tax credit. This implies that the tax credit was left standing.

You'd need to look for 30D, which is the relevant section of the tax code. Flake's proposed amendment (which I think just included the House wording) did not mention electric vehicles at all.

As far as all reports go, the Flake amendment was not included so the tax credit would be preserved.