Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stealth Hitch Install - Tesla Model 3 - More to Come on Towing with it...

Will you be installing a hitch on your Tesla Model 3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This past weekend I had a chance to install a stealth hitch on the model 3.

Thought I would post on how it went, some of the key tools that were helpful, and lastly, if anyone was interested in getting it done or knowing more about the range. I am looking forward to installing a wiring harness next.

I must note that I think it sticks out a little bit more than I hoped from where the bumper ends

Installation:
- Medium difficulty
- Can be done with one person, but a lot easier if you have a helper
- Takes ~3.5 hours if you have the right tools and can follow instructions (I am no mechanic by any means)

Helpful Tools to Use:
- Ramps to elevate vehicle, a jack can probably work too, but that's difficult on my slanted driveway (these were $65 from Canadian Tire)
- Dremel tool, this will help you cut the under guard easier for where you need to put in/remove the receiver
- An impact gun or drill always makes screwing/unscrewing bolts quicker!

"Watch Outs":
- If you follow the StealthHitch instruction manual word for word, there are some minor steps that are missing, but you could probably figure them out as your following the general instructions (I can provide more detail here if anyone needs)
- There are two bolts behind the tail light assembly that are very small and can easily fall inside, make sure you remove those carefully or have a magnet to pull them out
- When removing your bumper be sure to unplug the parking sensor connections

More to come on the range, towing capacity, if it rubs on bumps, etc. Let me know if anyone has questions or needs additional photos.

Attachments

• IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 1,666
  • IMG_2843 copy.jpg
    IMG_2843 copy.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 1,091
Good for you - wish I could mount the hitch-mounted family bike rack from my old car - it's staring at me in the garage!

I'm a "no" because of potential warranty issues - when I last saw the ranger I asked him and he said definitely not allowed - too much sensitive equipment in the rear of the car that could get damaged. This was when he had to replace the rear parking sensor wiring loop - I'd hate to get in a bun fight over something like that if I'd made changes back there. I'm sure it's unlikely but my guess is you'll need to be prepared to eat costs if anything does ever go wrong in the back end of the car.

Congrats on your order and hopefully you'll have nice weather on delivery.

Have you heard from Tesla that there will be an approved hitch?

Nothing official yet but soon according to the Tesla Club Norway:
Tesla Club Norway said:
Newly launched Tesla Model Y will have towbar. That’s what Tesla’s chief designer Franz von Holzhausen says of the electric car when we met him at the Model Y launch.

Of course, we asked if Model 3 will also have a towbar. – Yeah. When? – Soon, his short answer is.

Also a Model 3 was spotted last year towing so I guess they are still testing it and validating everything:
https://electrek.co/2018/07/31/tesla-model-3-towing-capacity/

Elon Musk on Twitter in 2016:
@elonmusk: There will be an optional tow hitch.

But "soon" with Tesla can pretty much mean anytime...

• Informative
Reactions: iMoe
The Tesla approved is not important, it is Tesla approving towing that we need.

Doesn’t matter the brand of hitch you install on your car , it is the rated towing capacity.

BMW is infamous for not having a towing capacity for North American models yet the same one in Europe has a tow rating and offer plug in trailer light modules.
Tesla would need a dedicated trailer module as all the lights are low voltage LED and trailers are old school 12v Incandescent. (That often short as trailer wiring is often terrible from getting boat trailers and lights wet at the ramp)

Teslas don’t even have a fuse box

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lukex4
I used my local shop (Mega Automotive Group) in Rockville MD to install my echoHitch. They did an amazing job for me. I highly recommend them. I wasn’t sure if I could disassemble and reassemble the bumper myself w/o losing a few parts here and there. I just needed the hitch for my bike. Carrying my bike inside my car was getting a bit old and annoying. I don’t this installing a hitch would void my warranty. Towing a trailer with it most likely will.

Attachments

• 12A3C194-B66D-46E8-BF9B-97C970A6585A.jpeg
    12A3C194-B66D-46E8-BF9B-97C970A6585A.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • 102B1FA9-4F33-4F4D-A2B0-8414A12F14B3.jpeg
    102B1FA9-4F33-4F4D-A2B0-8414A12F14B3.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 999
  • 559B7691-19F9-41C4-804D-875326E290C9.jpeg
    559B7691-19F9-41C4-804D-875326E290C9.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 1,014
  • A275BF86-DF99-4537-B014-2BEDE827A16C.jpeg
    A275BF86-DF99-4537-B014-2BEDE827A16C.jpeg
    500.9 KB · Views: 990
  • E0F95C32-9AA8-4530-94DA-237FF385DBF5.jpeg
    E0F95C32-9AA8-4530-94DA-237FF385DBF5.jpeg
    426.4 KB · Views: 986
  • 803E1E6A-40AE-453D-826D-5DA55BBDB04B.jpeg
    803E1E6A-40AE-453D-826D-5DA55BBDB04B.jpeg
    539.9 KB · Views: 1,048
Any comments about the computer - What does the autopilot and navigation do with a bike on the back? Do you get constant warnings? Does it realize there's a load on car instead? Does the type of rack you have completely block the rear camera?

More to come on the range, towing capacity, if it rubs on bumps, etc. Let me know if anyone has questions or needs additional photos.
What usage do you have in mind (bicycle carrier, luggage box, trailer...)?

Would you mind describing how you did the wiring (unless you only plan to install a bicycle carrier)?
- Did you split the cables or use a wiring sensors kit? If so, where did you get the 12 V power from?
- What kind of plug do you use to connect your trailer, and where do you attach the socket to your car?

Is there any risk of corrosion or did you isolated the hitch from the car frame?

Could you remove the little square adapter when not in use to make the hitch invisible?

Any comments about the computer - What does the autopilot and navigation do with a bike on the back? Do you get constant warnings? Does it realize there's a load on car instead? Does the type of rack you have completely block the rear camera?

no problem with autopilot works normally.

It does not block the camera, you can see pretty well too.

Only downside is it catches the sensors so when you're backing up there is beeping.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.54.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.54.25 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 947
What usage do you have in mind (bicycle carrier, luggage box, trailer...)?

Would you mind describing how you did the wiring (unless you only plan to install a bicycle carrier)?
- Did you split the cables or use a wiring sensors kit? If so, where did you get the 12 V power from?
- What kind of plug do you use to connect your trailer, and where do you attach the socket to your car?

Is there any risk of corrosion or did you isolated the hitch from the car frame?

Could you remove the little square adapter when not in use to make the hitch invisible?

Bicycle and trailer.

Wiring sensor kit and 12V from the front of the battery (stealth hitch sells it)

4 flat

No risk of corrosion isolated and it's part of the hitch kit

Yes you can remove and it will be invisible unless you go under the car

Reactions: Watts_Up
I just ordered the stealth combo. Have you towed anything? I too am primarily going to use it for a bike rack, but I do have a boston whaler that I need to launch from a dry dock spot from time to time. Just wondering how that would go? Also, you mentioned alarms with backing up. Anyway to silence them? Last, I have a 2020 m3p built in 12/19 and there is a cover at the spot where the hitch would install. I take it you did not have this. I sent an email to customer support to see if I could get a replacement dust cover so I can modify one and keep a super clean opening where the hitch protrudes. Then I could use the original to keep a stock look when not in use. I think since the EU has a hitch option, USA models can't be far off.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I had a Torklift Echo hitch installed on my Model 3 2020. The hitch and wiring kit was $650 Canadian. The installation was free as the company wanted to do a 2020 Model 3 to prove the hitch since they had not installed it on one yet. The installation took about 4-1/2 hours with two techs working on it. I am using the hitch to tow a small utility trailer that weighs about 1000lb fully loaded. The hitch is completely hidden when not in use. I have only used it once since getting it about a month ago but everything worked fine. Very easy to backup compared to my truck. So now I am able to carry everything my truck could do. There is a removable plastic cover that pops out for when you need to use the hitch. Otherwise you can not tell there is a hitch on the car unless you open the trunk and look under the cover for the trailer wires.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up and lukex4
Do you have a picture of the the not in use with the cover in place? I looked on line and the difference in price is about 1/2 for the stealth in comparison to the stealth. However, no bolt/tools necessary to attach the receiver and claims no play in the stealth due to the taper design. You get to attachments on for the receiver and ball. The wiring comes with the combo. Any probs with sensors?

Do you have a picture of the the not in use with the cover in place? I looked on line and the difference in price is about 1/2 for the stealth in comparison to the stealth. However, no bolt/tools necessary to attach the receiver and claims no play in the stealth due to the taper design. You get to attachments on for the receiver and ball. The wiring comes with the combo. Any probs with sensors?

I can post a picture once the weather gets better but basically it will look like any other Tesla as it’s behind the removable panel. I believe the removable panel is new for 2020 but not 100% sure. I didn’t have any problems with the sensor that I can remember. I will take some pictures when I hook it up next time. You have to attach it with a bolt but it’s no big deal. Also I like the fact it’s totally hidden.

My M3p is a 2020 and has the hitch access cover. It opens a fairly large area which can collect debris. I want to modify the cover to allow just the hitch to protrude. I would like a back up to use for when the hitch is not in use. This would minimize the crap that can get up in this area. I have emailed customer service to see if I could get one, but no response yet. I was thinking if I can’t get one, maybe I would 3D print one. Lastly, do you notice much play in the torklift design?

My M3p is a 2020 and has the hitch access cover. It opens a fairly large area which can collect debris. I want to modify the cover to allow just the hitch to protrude. I would like a back up to use for when the hitch is not in use. This would minimize the crap that can get up in this area. I have emailed customer service to see if I could get one, but no response yet. I was thinking if I can’t get one, maybe I would 3D print one. Lastly, do you notice much play in the torklift

It seems like the plastic cover is not really made to be taken on and off. I can see the clips snapping off from over use. I will be looking for an easier solution maybe magnets or a 3D printed opening as you suggest. Once the weather warms up I will look into it. I seem to remember seeing a modified one somewhere with hinges. The hitch is really solid as you tighten up a big bolt that stops it from rattling. It’s not a perfect solution but for the amount of times I will use it not a big deal.