Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam integration for Model S built after Feb 2022 only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the time, I thought this disruptive approach to the industry
It is popular to say Tesla is disruptive. It's how the popular kids talk when the new kid comes to school wearing something different. It's disruptive not by the company making a new product but the perception by the established companies that they have to disrupt (change) their approach to maintain popularity. Jack boots are in now.
within the same model year
People are realizing that Tesla does not wait for a model year to make changes. Changes are continuous.
Had I known, I would've waited.
This happens a lot. People are continuously delaying delivery when new items are leaked: headlights, taillights, swivel screen, bigger rear screen, golden hinges, blacked out trim, refresh-refresh-refresh, tax incentives (countered by price reduction and free charging incentives) ....

Last edited:
I have a mid Feb 2022 LR so I won’t know if I have the 16 Gb until this update rolls out for FSD beta testers. Almost all my games are thru steam so I’d love to have it in my car and will be disappointed if I dont have the hardware.

That said, I don’t fault Tesla for releasing new features outside of the model year calendar and I view it like a high end PC - almost instantly outdated as new tech rolls out. That doesn’t make your pc bad. Nobody else is even thinking of these crazy innovations.
I have a Feb 2022 MSLR, it shows Steam and 16G RAM. I'm with you on continuous new feature release. As soon as I drove it out of the parking lot it was old.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
That said, I don’t fault Tesla for releasing new features outside of the model year calendar and I view it like a high end PC - almost instantly outdated as new tech rolls out. That doesn’t make your pc bad. Nobody else is even thinking of these crazy innovations.
While I agree with you on features like the lights, swivel screen, bigger rear screen, etc., even as I just missed the refresh refresh with all those features by about a week, the steam integration was 100% shown on all the promo material when I put my order in in July of 2021. It was an advertised feature of the car, and needs to be retrofitted at a bare minimum (for free).

It‘s the same with FSD. I (foolishly) paid upfront for FSD as Elon had said all cars have the necessary hardware. Being sceptical I ensured I paid upfront so I can get retrofitted the necessary hardware in the future if that changed. Now with HW4 on the horizon, I have 0 faith Tesla will make good on ensuring my car is and remains capable of level 5 FSD.

While I agree with you on features like the lights, swivel screen, bigger rear screen, etc., even as I just missed the refresh refresh with all those features by about a week, the steam integration was 100% shown on all the promo material when I put my order in in July of 2021. It was an advertised feature of the car, and needs to be retrofitted at a bare minimum (for free).

It‘s the same with FSD. I (foolishly) paid upfront for FSD as Elon had said all cars have the necessary hardware. Being sceptical I ensured I paid upfront so I can get retrofitted the necessary hardware in the future if that changed. Now with HW4 on the horizon, I have 0 faith Tesla will make good on ensuring my car is and remains capable of level 5 FSD.
Posted the same thing in another thread.

I’m all for future innovation and continuing improvements. That insures that my future 2026 car isn’t the same as my 2021 car. No one in the group is complaining about these new features and improvements. We’re complaining about not receiving what was promised on our INITIAL purchase. It was clearly marketed when we purchased our car that we would be receiving gaming capabilities (and also a swiveling screen which they sneakily took out, I’m not even sure the legal implications of that). It was clearly marketed that we would receive this feature upon release.

I'm gonna nit pick here. I "ass u me" initial purchase is the delivery day of inspection and final payment. Could one see the swivel was not there or did Tesla let it be seen and then take it out that day after inspection and final payment?
To be honest not sure, I know there are those who claim to have screenshots of the the still promised swivel screen when they picked up their car. To be fair though the main concern in this thread is the steam and gaming capabilities, I think the swiveling screen is another battle. I’M personally happy not nitpicking and caring about the swiveling screen if steam gets integrated with my model S. Heck I personally don’t even care if they don’t upgrade my hardware and make it compatible with 8gb.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It was advertised with Cyberpunk running on the screen in numerous materials - one of the more demanding games out there. No, not Steam specifically, but Elon advertised “Gaming equivalent to a PS5”..
Well I was just quoted $2,228 for this retrofit. I told Tesla this was supposed to be part of the car since purchase. It was advertised as being equivalent to PS5 game capable with cyberpunk running on their demo car. Their reply:

Hello, your current vehicle configuration is equipped with an 8GB car computer, that was what was available at the time of vehicle ordering. If you wish to upgrade to the 16gb, you will need to pay for the upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Lovely my 2/22 build (got vin 2/22 ) had 8GB and no steam today. How is this possible as some got the 16GB for Feb builds!! I took the car in April and they replaced the Computer because it was rebooting during supercharge. I might have gotten an 8GB then But no way to prove this :(

Are we saying Tesla is quoting us 2k!!!

Lovely my 2/22 build (got vin 2/22 ) had 8GB and no steam today. How is this possible as some got the 16GB for Feb builds!! I took the car in April and they replaced the Computer because it was rebooting during supercharge. I might have gotten an 8GB then But no way to prove this :(

Are we saying Tesla is quoting us 2k!!!
Yes over $2K for something that was advertised to be there from the start. Not cool.
I have 2016 MX with the first rev computer it was never advertised to play games or movies. So when the updates came in later I was happy to pay for the upgraded computer to get movies and games.
I don’t mind paying the $2K if it’s reasonable, but I was clearly mislead same way as many of the first owners of the refreshed plaid S on this forum. I don’t feel it’s right for Tesla to make us pay for this.

Reactions: AcesAreWld
Steam was installed on my Feb 2022 MSLR a couple of days ago. I don't play games but thought I'd check it out today. It's downloading an update already after just 2 days.
20221221_101648.jpg

Looks like linux runtime was updated, among other things.
20221221_103354.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Evee
Well I was just quoted $2,228 for this retrofit. I told Tesla this was supposed to be part of the car since purchase. It was advertised as being equivalent to PS5 game capable with cyberpunk running on their demo car. Their reply:

Hello, your current vehicle configuration is equipped with an 8GB car computer, that was what was available at the time of vehicle ordering. If you wish to upgrade to the 16gb, you will need to pay for the upgrade.
Well CRAP. I guess promoting and listing features and then having your CEO (advertiser/ promoter in chief since Tesla doesn't advertise) not only promote playing Witcher III and Cyberpunk but actually let people play these games during the launch event for the 2021 Refreshed Model S.

Don't get me wrong, the ability to play Cyberpunk (esp now) or Witcher III wasn't a big factor in my purchasing decision BUT it was a factor. For an additional $2,200 we can get a feature that was actively promoted at launch.

Not worth my time but Tesla has been having enough issues with brand perception precipitously dropping this year (no comment on why) and you would think they would at least try to do the right thing for their customers who bought their most expensive cars.

Posted the same thing in another thread.

I’m all for future innovation and continuing improvements. That insures that my future 2026 car isn’t the same as my 2021 car. No one in the group is complaining about these new features and improvements. We’re complaining about not receiving what was promised on our INITIAL purchase. It was clearly marketed when we purchased our car that we would be receiving gaming capabilities (and also a swiveling screen which they sneakily took out, I’m not even sure the legal implications of that). It was clearly marketed that we would receive this feature upon release.
Concur. I started with a Plaid+ order, remember that. Swivel screen, gaming, 200 mph, 520 mile range, etc in the literature. Now delivery in December 2021 after waiting 14 months after being moved “to the front of the line” because i was a launch day order and a plaid+ order (not even close to the front of the line) gets me old headlights and taillights (which I dont mind), No swivel screen, and now confirmed no advanced gaming at least for now. I was more than willing to wait another year for a true plaid+…… not to mention that Tesla was not keen on people delaying delivery for MONTHS and was threatening cancellations when people had already waited on average 12 months for the car.

We can argue semantics and lawyer language all day but I think we can agree there is a gap between promised features and delivery for 2021 deliveries of an expensive car.

I personally have hit my limit. Its not one thing, its all things from September 2020 to now. Not to mention having to go to the service center 4 times to get things fixed that should have come off the line in the right condition. (Body panels, light switches, missing paint, etc.) and having to live with a dash misalignment that two different service centers said would be “impossible” to correct at the service center.

Second tesla, may be my last.

Well CRAP. I guess promoting and listing features and then having your CEO (advertiser/ promoter in chief since Tesla doesn't advertise) not only promote playing Witcher III and Cyberpunk but actually let people play these games during the launch event for the 2021 Refreshed Model S.

Don't get me wrong, the ability to play Cyberpunk (esp now) or Witcher III wasn't a big factor in my purchasing decision BUT it was a factor. For an additional $2,200 we can get a feature that was actively promoted at launch.

Not worth my time but Tesla has been having enough issues with brand perception precipitously dropping this year (no comment on why) and you would think they would at least try to do the right thing for their customers who bought their most expensive cars.
For those that like to mince words, here you go....

22:40 - 24:30