Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam integration for Model S built after Feb 2022 only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have it, is the Steam update even worth it? Is it working consistently, any noticeable lag, do all your Steam based games run smoothly (ex. Forza Horizon, GTA)? Are the games playable through the rear screen? Can it support multiplayer-online or 2-player via dua; wireless controllers?

The thing about this retrofit with an updated MCU (16gb based) that those are getting quoted for, how does that even guarantee that you wll get the Steam update? These OTA updates are pushed throgh Tesla and to my knowledge can't be triggered by your local service team. From Tesla's lens, they most likely have the 44.25 update configured based on your VIN as to what updates you get (geographically and hardware based). So just because you get the updated 16GB MCU, your VIN may still dictate that you don't qualify for Steam, which again the Service team may not be able to manipulate or exclusively single out and force push.

We really do have to wait for offical word from Tesla on how they plan to support the retrofit. I'm not going to be paying for it though. I'm also not going to be an early adopter of any of their new or "refreshed" vehicles (cybertruck, roadster, upcoming refresh model 3).
That was exactly my concern. Imagine shelling out the 2K only to have it STILL not work. Tesla needs to step up and communicate a clear course of action.

• Funny
Reactions: SIXF80 and jebinc
So these games take a while to download and my garage has wifi but its not like the router is right there, and the downloads may also be server limited in speed. A 55 Gb game like Witcher 3 takes about 10 hours to download.

The good news is that you can queue up multiple games to download consecutively. I currently have Witcher 3, Elden Ring, Hollow Knight, Yazuka, Portal, Hades, and Deathloop set to download.

If you leave your car with Steam loaded in a wifi zone, it will continue to download the queue in the background. To stop it you just quit out of Steam.

I think this is just a frill like Lightshow and Emission Testing. Some people will enjoy and others will roll their eyes. How often are you really just sitting there in your car parked. But in some situations may be a mild positive.

Reactions: aerodyne and SIXF80
May build with 16gb RAM, running 2022.44.25.3

I was unable to load more than 3 games without running out of space. GS worked, as did a Pixar game for kids. Had to delete Global Strike to load Witcher. Witcher has amazing graphics and sound, seems to work but did lock up once, perhaps because the only gaming I did was last century.

Some good things the holiday update did were to fix my Charge Door BT connection, and the Energy/Regen meter.

One thing I noticed is I cannot connect the recommended PS5 controller wirelessly. You would think that an advertised feature with instructions in the release notes and Manual would work....until you remind yourself this is Tesla...

To console yourself about these disappointments, one could enable fart mode remotely in a crowded parking garage, with sentry on. I wouldn't, but lol just thinking about it...

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
May build with 16gb RAM, running 2022.44.25.3

I was unable to load more than 3 games without running out of space. GS worked, as did a Pixar game for kids. Had to delete Global Strike to load Witcher. Witcher has amazing graphics and sound, seems to work but did lock up once, perhaps because the only gaming I did was last century.

Some good things the holiday update did were to fix my Charge Door BT connection, and the Energy/Regen meter.

One thing I noticed is I cannot connect the recommended PS5 controller wirelessly. You would think that an advertised feature with instructions in the release notes and Manual would work....until you remind yourself this is Tesla...

To console yourself about these disappointments, one could enable fart mode remotely in a crowded parking garage, with sentry on. I wouldn't, but lol just thinking about it...
What was wrong with the energy/regen meter? I wonder if it was the same bug I had on 2022.40, that is the bar would be occasionally be a full grey line when consuming energy, and a full green line when using regen - nothing in between. I’d reboot the car to fix it, but eventually it would happen again, requiring another reboot.

Reactions: jebinc
Can we all combine in one thread and come up with a masterplan?

Reactions: AcesAreWld
I am a first time Tesla owner so I didn't carry the battle scars of prior ownership/experiences forward and would comment that in my case, I have to resist seeing my car in any different light than any other vehicle vs seeing it as a migrating technology platform like my other toys like servers, AV etc.

I have a September 2021 MSLR with 8 Gb, my screen does not tilt, old headlights and old taillights and they all work perfectly fine. I do suspect at some point that the 16 Gb RAM will become a necessity as I doubt Tesla doubled the RAM just because of games. Kind of like the Linux logs in early Teslas bricking the MCU's. That is an upgrade that I would consider spending the $ 2 k once it started to become necessary for vehicle operation but only if I had to. My screen is instant/snappy with every function right now.

I have 34,000 kM on the vehicle and absolutely love it. It is a love/hate relationship as currently the car is in the shop for the FIFTH time for Safety Restraint System failure and I see on the APP that there are 'parts on order' so I wonder what failed 800 km after the car was in the shop for over a week last time. This is taking the sheen off the car for me but when it comes back, I forgive and forget as I just love driving that car.

For all of the upgrades that have happened, if I price out exactly what I have today to purchase, it is $ 45,000 CAD more out the door than 13 months ago so I am totally content being an early adopter, got snow tires within weeks of receiving the cars ( Replika rims / X-ICE that are in their second winter) and although I do get a bit of tech envy when I see the continuous hardware updates coming.... I sing in my mind 'if you can't be with the one you love...love the one your with' and I floor it and smile..... Merry Christmas everyone :) and have a safe holiday season !

I am a first time Tesla owner so I didn't carry the battle scars of prior ownership/experiences forward and would comment that in my case, I have to resist seeing my car in any different light than any other vehicle vs seeing it as a migrating technology platform like my other toys like servers, AV etc.

I have a September 2021 MSLR with 8 Gb, my screen does not tilt, old headlights and old taillights and they all work perfectly fine. I do suspect at some point that the 16 Gb RAM will become a necessity as I doubt Tesla doubled the RAM just because of games. Kind of like the Linux logs in early Teslas bricking the MCU's. That is an upgrade that I would consider spending the $ 2 k once it started to become necessary for vehicle operation but only if I had to. My screen is instant/snappy with every function right now.

I have 34,000 kM on the vehicle and absolutely love it. It is a love/hate relationship as currently the car is in the shop for the FIFTH time for Safety Restraint System failure and I see on the APP that there are 'parts on order' so I wonder what failed 800 km after the car was in the shop for over a week last time. This is taking the sheen off the car for me but when it comes back, I forgive and forget as I just love driving that car.

For all of the upgrades that have happened, if I price out exactly what I have today to purchase, it is $ 45,000 CAD more out the door than 13 months ago so I am totally content being an early adopter, got snow tires within weeks of receiving the cars ( Replika rims / X-ICE that are in their second winter) and although I do get a bit of tech envy when I see the continuous hardware updates coming.... I sing in my mind 'if you can't be with the one you love...love the one your with' and I floor it and smile..... Merry Christmas everyone :) and have a safe holiday season !
Agree with everything you’ve said - less one thing. Anything that was advertised as being included when you purchased the car needs to be delivered. New lights and screen tilt (not sure bout this one) came later. The ability to play steam games was advertised on launch. I ended up just squeaking in and getting 16GB, and truthfully the steam experience thus far has been underwhelming for me. If I didn’t get it it wouldn’t have bothered me…. Except that it was an advertised feature.

I just don’t like letting companies get away with questionable business practices like that. Tesla makes massive amounts of money, and needs to be held accountable for something like this. Because if they don’t get held accountable, next time it might be something I do care about.

Agree with everything you’ve said - less one thing. Anything that was advertised as being included when you purchased the car needs to be delivered. New lights and screen tilt (not sure bout this one) came later. The ability to play steam games was advertised on launch. I ended up just squeaking in and getting 16GB, and truthfully the steam experience thus far has been underwhelming for me. If I didn’t get it it wouldn’t have bothered me…. Except that it was an advertised feature.

I just don’t like letting companies get away with questionable business practices like that. Tesla makes massive amounts of money, and needs to be held accountable for something like this. Because if they don’t get held accountable, next time it might be something I do care about.
Yes I 100% agree.

Can we all combine in one thread and come up with a masterplan?

Didn’t even know that thread existed. Perhaps because the title isn’t clearly indicating the topic is steam on 2021 cars.

Are the Teslas with 16gb able to change the location of the blind spot camera that pops up when the blinker is in use?

Last night I took my kids out for hot cocoa and activated Santa mode by using the hohoho voice command.

Everyone in the car including myself got a huge kick out of it. My car is so dope…. Doesn’t take away from the fact that it should have had the RAM, but it does remind me how cool our cars are and how fortunate we are to be driving these things in this moment and time.

Merry Christmas all.

Are the Teslas with 16gb able to change the location of the blind spot camera that pops up when the blinker is in use?

Last night I took my kids out for hot cocoa and activated Santa mode by using the hohoho voice command.

Everyone in the car including myself got a huge kick out of it. My car is so dope…. Doesn’t take away from the fact that it should have had the RAM, but it does remind me how cool our cars are and how fortunate we are to be driving these things in this moment and time.

Merry Christmas all.
Glad you had a good experience, but no offense, this isn’t the “list all the other good things” thread. Just like when you go to the emergency room with a broken arm, you’re not trying to listen to the doctor tell you about all the other things in your body that aren’t broken and are functioning well.

What was wrong with the energy/regen meter? I wonder if it was the same bug I had on 2022.40, that is the bar would be occasionally be a full grey line when consuming energy, and a full green line when using regen - nothing in between. I’d reboot the car to fix it, but eventually it would happen again, requiring another reboot.
It was the same bug, I am a recovering late adopter to updates, was on .40 for quite a while.

Reactions: Ramphex
Be careful what ya'll wish for.
I"m not a gamer and don't want to sit in my car to play a game. However, since it's here I was going to give it a try. I gave it a try! So far I've wasted way too much time downloading Linux updates, Steam updates and Apex and Apex updates and gray scale shadow calculations. And it's still not ready to play. My trouble free Feb 2022 MSLR has developed problems now. The app shows tire PSI of zero on all tires. The car screens keep going blank. The app also shows the battery is at 0% SOC when it's at 85%. I gave it a try. But I'm not going to Best Buy to spend $50 on a PS5 controller and I will uninstall Steam. It's ridiculous that some want to sue Tesla to sit in a car and play a game, ridiculous.

Last edited: