Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steam integration for Model S built after Feb 2022 only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steam wasn’t included in the unveiling, was it?
The feature was and was demonstrated at the delivery event. How they implemented the feature (ie Steam specifically) was not. To date the only avenues taken have been BBB complaints (response was this is an optional feature not included) and complaint to state AGs consumer protection divisions. No legal action that I am aware of.

The feature was and was demonstrated at the delivery event. How they implemented the feature (ie Steam specifically) was not. To date the only avenues taken have been BBB complaints (response was this is an optional feature not included) and complaint to state AGs consumer protection divisions. No legal action that I am aware of.
Cyberpunk being played was demonstrated. That was it. It's disingenuous, but not illegal, to not have included Steam on earlier cars. I think it would make an interesting case.

Cyberpunk being played was demonstrated. That was it. It's disingenuous, but not illegal, to not have included Steam on earlier cars. I think it would make an interesting case.
In car gaming on par with the newest consoles was also advertised as a feature on the website and Spoken about in the video at the delivery event saying PS-5 level performance. Its an open issue to be delivered to customers. If not steam then what? I dont think Sonic the Hedgehog qualifies.

In car gaming on par with the newest consoles was also advertised as a feature on the website and Spoken about in the video at the delivery event saying PS-5 level performance. Its an open issue to be delivered to customers. If not steam then what? I dont think Sonic the Hedgehog qualifies.
I think it’s a grey area. Tesla could just deliver a few advanced-graphical games and say they delivered on some demo claim. If not Steam, it could be literally anything else they add to the standard Arcade app. As I’ve started, before, the whole thing has been handled disingenuously, but illegally is something I can’t quite say it is.

Oh, and as someone who did get Steam, it’s nowhere near PS5 levels of performance. Not even close. But then again this isn’t surprising given it’s running in a VM.

• Disagree
Reactions: B@ndit
What about gaming in the rear seat? Never happened.

I think it’s a grey area. Tesla could just deliver a few advanced-graphical games and say they delivered on some demo claim. If not Steam, it could be literally anything else they add to the standard Arcade app. As I’ve started, before, the whole thing has been handled disingenuously, but illegally is something I can’t quite say it is.

Oh, and as someone who did get Steam, it’s nowhere near PS5 levels of performance. Not even close. But then again this isn’t surprising given it’s running in a VM.
Agree with you but they have to deliver something or have a “plan” to deliver or I think there is a case. The way its going many of us will get replacement MCUZ due to failures during warranty. Like you said, its just shady business. If they came with a real path forward (not $2100) for 2021 owners, I would complain less. 🤣

Reactions: WilliamG
Has anyone here ever gotten Steam games to actually, you know, work? I got "Portal 2" to play once; every attempt since then results in the game crashing back to Steam (or Steam itself crashing) when I try it.

Halo Infinite launches to a black screen, or gives me a few seconds of the "XBox Games" into video and freezes.

I've rebooted Steam, rebooted the car, deleted and re-downloaded the games. Nothing works.

Has anyone here ever gotten Steam games to actually, you know, work? I got "Portal 2" to play once; every attempt since then results in the game crashing back to Steam (or Steam itself crashing) when I try it.

Halo Infinite launches to a black screen, or gives me a few seconds of the "XBox Games" into video and freezes.

I've rebooted Steam, rebooted the car, deleted and re-downloaded the games. Nothing works.
I have Witcher working. It was very glitchy at first. Then I found I needed to change the settings on the game for "older PC's".

I tried a few others like global strike, but can't load more than one at a time. Can't justify buying an SSD.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
so whats the verdict on this? I also didnt get the steam as its pre Feb 22 build.. had drivers door open switch fail which required in-service visit, after inquriing they said upgrade requires 2K+ for new drive.. i mentioned false advertising and of course nobody got back to me on this..

so whats the verdict on this? I also didnt get the steam as its pre Feb 22 build.. had drivers door open switch fail which required in-service visit, after inquriing they said upgrade requires 2K+ for new drive.. i mentioned false advertising and of course nobody got back to me on this..
Steam isn’t very good. That’s the verdict. It has trouble with so many games. Heck, even Streets of Rage 4, a relatively simple 2D beat-em-up, doesn’t run at a smooth 60fps, bouncing between 59 and 60fps constantly so it essentially is a stutter-fest, even on the lowest graphical settings (which makes zero difference). What’s interesting about that title is that you can turn on the frame-rate graph in the game settings to see what it looks like. On PC it’s a smooth line. In the car it’s bad, spiking up and down.

Here’s a screenshot from my PC playing it. Note the 60 in the top right with the flat green line above it. Now imagine it a jaggy line and the frame rate bouncing between 59 and 60 and there’s the same game in the car. Rubbish.

1676676560913.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Does anyone know the upgrade 16GB RAM replacing the whole touch screen or the computer behind the glove box?
TLA,AP-T,CONN-Q,MCU-Z,MSX
FUSED(1637790-S0-G)

When I check the part it is a car computer.

But service center tells me MCU unit (infotainment computer assembly) is the touch screen. The retrofit is to replace the screen.

Confused. Anyone knows the answer?

Does anyone know the upgrade 16GB RAM replacing the whole touch screen or the computer behind the glove box?
TLA,AP-T,CONN-Q,MCU-Z,MSX
FUSED(1637790-S0-G)

When I check the part it is a car computer.

But service center tells me MCU unit (infotainment computer assembly) is the touch screen. The retrofit is to replace the screen.

Confused. Anyone knows the answer?
That part number is the 16GB computer. Screen will remain the same. Service people are pretty clueless most times.

Reactions: aerodyne
I have played Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, Hollow Knight, and Portal on it. Generally fine although not the same experience as on my 4090 (as you would expect). I had to reduce some settings on Witcher as I had everything maxed from my home PC. Have yet to try some other games. But it works about as you would expect a steam deck to work.

That said… it’s not that impactful really. Unless you are frequently waiting in your car parked, you don’t end up using it much if at all. I could see it being more meaningful if you supercharge a lot or if you have to wait while your kid is in dance practice or something.

Reactions: aerodyne