Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Alignment [error - ok to drive while waiting for appt?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 2018 Model 3, with all of 18,000 miles, just advised me to have my 'steering alignment' serviced. I ordered it, and it's scheduled in 4 weeks. In the meantime I'm driving from Massachusetts to Washington DC,leaving next week. Is this a problem?

I’m in the same boat as you and got the exact same error almost 2 weeks ago. My appointment is not until Oct 6!
Over the past 2 weeks the error message would disappear one day and then the next day come back on again. Been doing that 4-5 times already. As to your question if it’s ok to do a road trip, I have no idea. However, it doesn’t seem to drive any different with the error message on or off. But, I don’t even know what a steering alignment means. LOL! I don’t think it’s the same as a wheel alignment. Maybe the steering wheel needs adjusting? Mine did come from the factory a little off center but it never bothered me enough to get it fix. Guess I’ll get it fix on Oct 6 then.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It means your alignment is too far out of spec and the car is noting more steering angle than normally required to drive straight. Aside from losing some convenience features, it could also mean that your tires may be wearing unevenly or prematurely. I wouldn't do a road trip without having the alignment corrected or verified just in case you end up burning out a set of tires!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
my 2018 Model 3, with all of 18,000 miles, just advised me to have my 'steering alignment' serviced. I ordered it, and it's scheduled in 4 weeks. In the meantime I'm driving from Massachusetts to Washington DC,leaving next week. Is this a problem?
Did you ever find the cause and fix for this? I just got that message too and was wondering if alignment would fix it.

Upvote 0
I had my appt last week for this and the service advisor said yes it’s just an alignment. However, they couldn’t do an alignment on my car because I have aftermarket rims (Titan 7) and their machine would damage my rims. They said I can go get an alignment anywhere. I have not had time to get an alignment yet, so I don’t know if that will get rid of the error message. Probably will do it later this week or next week.

Reactions: NXN-P3D
Upvote 0
So this popped up for me in November 2021 and I had it aligned at a shop just before a long road trip and the message went away. However in January is popped back up and I ignored it a little bit and then the message changed. It now read that “Service is required” and all of my convenience features disappeared. Lost my traction control, regen, stability control, cruise control, auto pilot and no lane assistance. Had it aligned correctly and all off my suspension retorqued (I have a lot of aftermarket suspension parts) and message still there. Did soft and hard resets including disconnecting the 12v and HV battery but still nothing. Have mobile service coming by to see if they can reset code or readjust steering column. We’ll see. Will
Update.

Upvote 0
So this popped up for me in November 2021 and I had it aligned at a shop just before a long road trip and the message went away. However in January is popped back up and I ignored it a little bit and then the message changed. It now read that “Service is required” and all of my convenience features disappeared. Lost my traction control, regen, stability control, cruise control, auto pilot and no lane assistance. Had it aligned correctly and all off my suspension retorqued (I have a lot of aftermarket suspension parts) and message still there. Did soft and hard resets including disconnecting the 12v and HV battery but still nothing. Have mobile service coming by to see if they can reset code or readjust steering column. We’ll see. Will
Update.
So how did you fixed it?
I have the same issue !!

Upvote 0
Any reputable alignment shop can do your alignment
This is true, but many alignment shops *won't* do it. Anyone who calls around looking for a place and is having trouble, try shops that specialize in performance modifications. They are much more likely to take your money, as they are used to doing non standard things and won't care if they don't have Tesla specs in their computer, etc.

Upvote 0
Update.
Ok sorry for the lag in responding. Tesla mobile ranger came out after alignment and retorque. Plugged in laptop reset steering column alignment and boom all good again.

Lesson learned, if alignment is off get it corrected ASAP And don’t wait!

Upvote 0
You need to get your alignment corrected, then have Tesla reset your car.
Can you clarify exactly what in the car needs to be reset? Camera calibration? Steering angle? Something that can be done from service mode or does it require a laptop with OBD? Or does the car just need to deep sleep and/or drive a couple dozen miles without FSD, possibly after forced camera calibration?

Upvote 0
That message means that it doesn't think your steering wheel is straight when you are driving straight. If that's true, just get a regular alignment anywhere or simply reach under the bumper and give each tie rod a half-turn.

If the message appears despite your wheel being straight, then it's a calibration issue and you need the dealer software "Toolbox 3" to correct it:
  1. Connect a laptop with Toolbox 3 to the vehicle.
  2. In Toolbox, click Actions, type "angle" in the search field, click Play to the left of "PROC_EPAS_ESP_CLEAR-ANGLE-OFFSETS", and then select RUN.
  3. Click Actions, type "angle" in the search field, click Play to the left of "TEST_EPAS3P_X_CHECK-APPLIED-ANGLE-OFFSET", and then select RUN.

Reactions: beezy and southbay3
Upvote 0