Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering and feel question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a test drive of a model Y a few days ago, trying to weed out some cars and narrow down the test choices for my wife who is looking for a new car. I have some questions for longer term Y drivers if anyone can help.

Is the steering really as dead and disconnected from the road as our test drive or could there have been a problem with the car? It was completely impossible to feel the road at all, and the steering had a very dead weight feel to it. I described it as “like driving a boulder” and my son laughed and said it felt like a video game controller with no feedback. It may have been the worst steering feel I have ever found in a car.

I don’t think it was the suv/cuv factor, because we drove 5 other cars, all in that style, all that day. Yes, we tried the three ride types. It was the performance model, but I do not know what tire sizes.

Is that just the way Tesla’s drive? Or just the Y? Or is that “I got novocaine in both arms before driving” a possible problem in the test car?

Is that just the way Tesla’s drive? Or just the Y? Or is that “I got novocaine in both arms before driving” a possible problem in the test car?

Although I've never driven a Y, I've driven S, X, and 3 and they are all fine since I first started driving Tesla in 2012. You can adjust the 3 steering mode:

Comfort: Too effortless to me. I can steer easily even when the car is standing still. Too light, too responsive, I am afraid that if I make a slight wrong torque, I could end up to the next lane.

Standard: Happy medium

Sport: It takes more effort to turn.

But none of the modes would be too heavy to turn.

Lmao it's a crossover, and tbh not that bad. Better than my previous c300 and definitely better than the f30 and g20. Not close to my 997, but it's a crossover with EPS.

It doesn't have the most feel, especially with tires with high psi for range. It is very direct. What car are you coming from?

Lmao it's a crossover, and tbh not that bad. Better than my previous c300 and definitely better than the f30 and g20. Not close to my 997, but it's a crossover with EPS.

It doesn't have the most feel, especially with tires with high psi for range. It is very direct. What car are you coming from?
As I said in the post, I am aware it is a crossover. We have a Q5 and we tested a Volvo crossover, a BMW suv, and and an Audi suv, all on the same day. The Y was not just the most numb and dead feeling of all those cars, it was dramatically more so. Enough that I asked the question.

I have owned multiple crossovers and suvs, from multiple brands, from 1988 to today. I have even owned a couple of trucks. I have never felt a car with so little feedback.

but then I have never driven a car with glass on the roof without a retractable shade, and I am told nobody does that anymore either, so… maybe that is just how we drive now?

Although I've never driven a Y, I've driven S, X, and 3 and they are all fine since I first started driving Tesla in 2012. You can adjust the 3 steering mode:

Comfort: Too effortless to me. I can steer easily even when the car is standing still. Too light, too responsive, I am afraid that if I make a slight wrong torque, I could end up to the next lane.

Standard: Happy medium

Sport: It takes more effort to turn.

But none of the modes would be too heavy to turn.
Maybe I am not describing it well. It isn’t heavy or hard to turn, it is simply dead. There was zero feed back. I could turn the wheels easily, but it also felt like I could hit a pedestrian and not even feel it.

I am not expecting to feel every groove or crease in the road, but I wasn’t expecting it to feel like I was piloting a drone from half a world away either.

Does that make sense?

As I said in the post, I am aware it is a crossover. We have a Q5 and we tested a Volvo crossover, a BMW suv, and and an Audi suv, all on the same day. The Y was not just the most numb and dead feeling of all those cars, it was dramatically more so. Enough that I asked the question.

I have owned multiple crossovers and suvs, from multiple brands, from 1988 to today. I have even owned a couple of trucks. I have never felt a car with so little feedback.

but then I have never driven a car with glass on the roof without a retractable shade, and I am told nobody does that anymore either, so… maybe that is just how we drive now?
Quite surprised. Audis have the most mindboggingly numb steering in a car I've ever driven. Reviews say the Volvo is pretty numb as well. Reviews for the Tesla are actually not bad. I personally think it's video gamey, but much better compared to Audis I've driven. Better than bmw for sure. Mercedes is lighter but I quite like their steering feedback even if it is on the number side.

I do recall there is either a TSB or recall for loose steering bolts for the Y. Maybe you drove a bad one.

Reactions: ShaneCS
Maybe I am not describing it well. It isn’t heavy or hard to turn, it is simply dead. There was zero feed back. I could turn the wheels easily, but it also felt like I could hit a pedestrian and not even feel it.

I am not expecting to feel every groove or crease in the road, but I wasn’t expecting it to feel like I was piloting a drone from half a world away either.

Does that make sense?

I thought that is an advantage. I hate to feel the road, potholes, debris... As a matter of fact, I rarely steer anymore when I got the Autopilot since 2017. I let the Autopilot do the steering for me most of the time. So, the only thing that I care about is the automatic torque from the machine to make sure it steers correctly.

I guess it's a personal preference.

I ALWAYS take a tire gauge with me to test drives. I bet the front tires were way above the spec of 42PSI, which has the effect of numbing down the steering feel. I find the steering feel better at 38psi, but it probably takes some range away.
Otherwise, it's not a problem for me. Take another test drive, after checking tire PSI.

I thought that is an advantage. I hate to feel the road, potholes, debris... As a matter of fact, I rarely steer anymore when I got the Autopilot since 2017. I let the Autopilot do the steering for me most of the time. So, the only thing that I care about is the automatic torque from the machine to make sure it steers correctly.

I guess it's a personal preference.

Oh it is absolutely personal preference, but I am just trying to figure out what the normal Y feel is without driving 7 or 8 of them. 😂

I ALWAYS take a tire gauge with me to test drives. I bet the front tires were way above the spec of 42PSI, which has the effect of numbing down the steering feel. I find the steering feel better at 38psi, but it probably takes some range away.
Otherwise, it's not a problem for me. Take another test drive, after checking tire PSI.

Also good advice. Thanks!