Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel “tick” noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed a high pitched "tick" noise from their steering wheel area? I just noticed this at low speeds when driving with the radio off. The is a very faint “tick” noise that comes from the steering wheel area. Similar to the noise a grandfather clock makes. It's very intermittent and I’m not sure if it’s normal or what triggers it. But mainly noticeable when driving only at very low speeds.

Not sure its the same but mine comes from a m the left wheel it seems, vid attached.

@priest777 let me guess--you have the 19" wheels with the wheel covers still on, right? If so, that's a "normal" noise (though incredibly embarrassing when driving your brand new relatively expensive vehicle) that the covers make for the first few thousand miles/kms. It does eventually seem to go away on its own as they settle into place. You can get rid of it by removing the covers entirely if you prefer (and using a cap kit for the lugs and center part--Tesla sells them and there are others available on Amazon etc). You could also pull the covers off temporarily and trim the little plastic tab pieces that make contact with the rim underneath, which apparently resolves the noise as well.

Reactions: Yelobird