Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel buttons+scrollers not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. Our 2012 Signature Model S' steering wheel control buttons stopped working about a week ago. Here's a short history:
1. Controls stopped working, but horn still worked.
2. Big center screen was still accessible for about 4 days. Then it went blank, so then there were basically no controls. Standard air/heat conditioning settings were on, but it was difficult to see the display behind the steering wheel during the day (okay at night when the ambient lighting was darker), so one had to really try hard to read the remaining charge. Also, it took about a minute to power up the vehicle in order to drive.
3. We ordered replacement steering wheel controls and received them around Day 7.
4. Also, on Day 7, the vehicle powered up immediately. I rebooted using the steering wheel controls, and it worked this time! Everything seems to be back to normal.
5. I suspect there was a software update issue that caused all of this.

Anybody have a similar experience?

My 2018 75D recently came out of warranty and both switches started acting up last week. The horn also engaged and stayed on until it overheated, fun drive home, I could smell smoke from the fronk after it finally quit. Tesla estimated $414 to replace one switch and look at the horn. Is there a good source to purchase these parts and DIY? All I seem to find are used parts on Ebay.

My 2018 75D recently came out of warranty and both switches started acting up last week. The horn also engaged and stayed on until it overheated, fun drive home, I could smell smoke from the fronk after it finally quit. Tesla estimated $414 to replace one switch and look at the horn. Is there a good source to purchase these parts and DIY? All I seem to find are used parts on Ebay.
You can purchase from tesla

You can purchase from tesla
My 2017 MX is out of warranty and having the same issues. Blank display screen, scroll buttons and horn are not working. These functionalities stopped working simultaneously….no forewarning. Tried to start the vehicle and it took at least a minute before I could put my SUV in D mode.
I’m in Germany (US Spec MX) so it’s a bit scary as I keep being told “they cannot work on US Spec Teslas”. ☹️

I have an appointment on Saturday, 5 August for diagnostic testing. Estimated quote is 500 Euros…OMG!!!

From what I have read in this forum, this appears to be a universal issue for MX and MS…and it also appears to be a safety issue. Horn not working.
Did anyone find out if the steering wheel issue also affects the airbag as well? Just curious to see what others have found out about this issues and what the final resolution was!

My 2018 Model X scroll wheels associated buttons have stopped working. Both left and right. It will not reset. The voice button stopped working a few months ago but all the other buttons worked until today. Does anyone know what the problem is?