Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel pressure every lane change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am assuming you have followed instructions and are keeping "two hands on the wheel at all times." Unfortunately, if you do this in a relaxed fashion, the weight of your hands balance each other out and the steering experiences a net zero torque when it does the "attentiveness check."

Try the same thing but use one hand only, down low, so that there is a constant slight pull to one side or the other.

That was exactly the reason (or actually one of the reasons) why I re-enabled lane change confirmation. Other reason is that it sometimes likes to change lanes at times where I don't want to, e.g. when I anticipate a slower vehicle in front wants to take an exit etc.

It does the same for me. I've only had my MY for a week, but I've noticed the same behavior. A bit of warning though, the car seems quite happy to change lanes when another car is dangerously close in the new lane. It doesn't seem to sense a car in the next lane until the other car is alongside my car. I had to grab the wheel more than once to abort a dangerous lane change.

Assuming everything is working the way it’s intended, then what we are talking about is your comfort level with autonomy. It is a huge leap to surrender control, well, ever, but of your vehicle in particular. It will take time to adjust to the car’s way of doing things. It will not drive the way you do, and it never will.

A fraction of the car’s decisions will seem unsafe. A much smaller fraction will actually be unsafe, and you’ll need to intervene. With experience, It will become easier to distinguish these conditions.

Reactions: rxlawdude